Nov 12, 2009
Mcface said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
EA? Make good games?

ahem.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH.
HAHAH.
Ha.
the funniest part of this is that you probably have played and enjoyed multiple EA titles. And EA doesn't make games. They publish them.
No I haven't actually. I can't stand sports games. I can't even think of a game they have "published" that I enjoyed. Crysis? The Skate series?

The majority of the stuff they "publish" I don't enjoy. Am I still allowed to have my opinion?

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Remember when EA was the devil of the gaming industry? I think Activision has taken that role quite nicely, while EA seems to be... reforming.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
BlindMessiah94 said:
Mcface said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
EA? Make good games?

ahem.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH.
HAHAH.
Ha.
the funniest part of this is that you probably have played and enjoyed multiple EA titles. And EA doesn't make games. They publish them.
No I haven't actually. I can't stand sports games. I can't even think of a game they have "published" that I enjoyed. Crysis? The Skate series?

The majority of the stuff they "publish" I don't enjoy. Am I still allowed to have my opinion?
No, your opinion is wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Electronic_Arts_games

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
It's times like this when you realize the company lost all hope of anything remotely related to common sense. I'm sure they even got a statistics team in there to figure it out since EA and genius is like rotten cheese and bread.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Assuming it is true I hope more companies take their advertising budgets and put them into making better products. Advertising is at best annoying and parasitic and at worst harmful. The world would be better off if everyone just relied on word of mouth instead of deception.

AlchemistMayCry

Nov 20, 2009
Wow, EA, did you get hit on the head as a child or something?

Making good games? RIIIIIIGHT. Show me an innovative Madden game. Then give me a call.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Advertisment is still important in making sure your get coverage and that people have heard about your game. But yes, TV ad's seem pointless. Advertise through facebook and Game Trailers instead. You know what the best Advert is?

UNEDITED.
GAMEPLAY.
FOOTAGE.

I skim and skim through these video's saying FUCK STOP TALKING, BADLY TALKING TALKING HEAD, And stop showing me clipped together "awesome" scenes! I want to see the game, inaction, unaided, unhindered, unhobbled, undressed. And just being able to see the game, see what it's like, can sway me, even in the face of overwhelming bias, because it helps me form my own decision.

Which is the POINT of advertisement.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Mcface said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
Mcface said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
EA? Make good games?

ahem.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH.
HAHAH.
Ha.

No, your opinion is wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Electronic_Arts_games
Oh I see, I guess your opinion is the only one that matters.
How silly of me.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
It took them ten fucking years to realize that? Seriously, WTF?!

I mean it's totally fucking obvious I'll more likely try a game one of my friends told me about than a faceless corporation on the now useless TV. And it took them this long figure this out? That quality games would make them more money than flushing the TV with flashy ads?

Jeez...

Dzil

May 20, 2009
Furburt said:
Oh thank god. At least they've finally realised what the problem is. If you spend all your money on superfluous things (Ads, DRM, stuff like that) the main thing that suffers is the game itself.

While you obviously can't just throw money at a game to make it better, having enough money to cover any contingency is very helpful. I'm glad, perhaps they'll make better games now.
It happens all to often in the video game industry a product is released unfinished for financial reasons. This is especially true of MMO's.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Thank God if it true. Even if they are only saying this it may indicate sensibility is starting to overcome hype. But this is something I need to see to believe.

Computer games have a long, long history where what you see on the box and what you get in the game can be miles apart. Every gamer has been burned $50-$60, probably a number of times, on a piece of pretty box art, that may have been reviewed well but just isn't fun.

Reviews can detail the nuts and bolts, but whether a game is fun or not, can be known only through demo's and referrals from friends. I see this as common sense but hopefully it is actually coming to pass.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Prime idea. I only watch TV once a week & leave the room when commercials come on. Hopefully, that budget will go towards scriptwriting, music, & voice acting. After all, it's not the graphics that make a game great.

I don't know about you, but a game, even with piss-poor graphics, that has a fun story, nonirritating voices, uncheesy dialog, & a soundtrack you could listen to anywhere is a game worth coming back to.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Hopefully this will also mean a change in salaries as it seems stupid that the game designers/programmers get paid less than the people in charge of marketing.