EA Predicted APB's Poor Reception

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
TheIr0nMike said:
I really hope they don't give up on this. I was really looking foreword to playing it, now I just hope they release a sequel or re-release it with at least most of the problems fixed.
This one put them out of business, don't hold your breath for a sequel.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
So nice of them to kick a person when they are down, and now try to make them selves look like industry experts.

I hope they are able to bounce back from this disaster thhough, I dont think it will be possible...

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
cursedseishi said:
squid5580 said:
cursedseishi said:
ASnogarD said:
Probably due to the fact EA pushed through the premature relaease and forced the unusual payment scheme...sorry, even WoW doesnt muster the power to justify a but the game, and pay for the time you actually play scheme.

Take note designers, most players dont want to be arsed with fancy pay per hour shite, most would merely ask how much per month and then tell you to STFU till the next billing. Mess with the formulae and you already take a huge hit in popularity, so if the product dont match the audicity of the payment scheme... welcome to the dole.
Well now, aren't you an uninformed little troll...

APB has a normal monthly fee you can pay as well, to play as long as you like. They just chose to also include another option on top of that, where you can pay for hours instead, at a flat non-monthly cost, in case you know you won't be able to play much monthly so that the 10hr fee wouldn't be worth it.
Are you serious? How much was it by the hour? Still that is a terrible idea. Especially when people do tend to skim things online and very well could miss something like the monthly fee. Regardless it was foolish not to go with the micro transaction at this point. There doesn't seem to be many people willing to pay a monthly fee for an mmo that isn't WOW or an established mmo anymore.
Well, the game, retail 50$, comes with 50hrs of gameplay, which is only used up in the Action Districts, the creative district is free to all.
You could purchase an additional 20 hrs for 7 bucks, or pay 10$ a month for unlimited play time, with discounts for the 3 or 6-month packages.

Even if people skimmed, the prices are lower than the industry standard of 15.

proof: http://kotaku.com/5528121/an-all-points-bulletin-on-apbs-release-date-and-pricing-structure
Ok I don't see the point of offering that. You mean to tell me they were worried about people not being able to afford the extra 3 bucks? Or that they would take advantage of using in game money for more hours? That seems like a waste to be honest. It defeats the whole purpose of getting loot in the first place. You would just wind up in a circle of getting loot to trade for hours to get more loot to get more hours.

All in all that article sent alarms off in my mind and I wouldn't go near it.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
imgunagitusucka said:
The reason so many MMOs fail is because they try to be a WoW killer with an interesting premise. This tends to fail when the interesting premise just doesn't have good gameplay to back it up. If you copy WoW, your not going to win: WoW is more refined. Just a few tips for successful MMO's.
I'd disagree on that point. I don't think devs themselves are trying to make WoW killers, atleast not in the last few years.

I followed WAR quite heavily, and Mythic never intended it to be a WoW killer. They made it clear that they're going for a different, more PvP oriented demographic, WHFB nerds, and people who liked their previous game.

The problem is, gaming media will inevitably make the comparison, and when they write their first preview, it always looks like this:
[HEADING=3] The MMO to end WoW!![/HEADING]

Blah blah blah
blah blah blah

Will this MMO finally kill WoW?
Time will tell, but there's still a long way to go before this MMO is ready. Publisher is expecting this game to take a stab at destroying WoW near the end of this year.
Stay on your toes, and be ready to cancel your WoW subscription.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
APB could've been great, but so many things went so wrong.
It sounded like a great concept at first, but then it was announced that it would be PC exclusive, and then that it wasn't coming to Australia, and then when it was eventually released, it turned out to be "meh."
Realtime Worlds was onto something great with the potential Crackdown franchise, but unfortunately now both Crackdown as a franchise and the studio Realtime World's have been possibly ruined, with the painfully average Crackdown 2 (not made by Realtime Worlds), and the failure of APB.

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
theultimateend said:
I got into the game.

Played the Tutorial and was like "Alright neat."

Got into the WORLD and almost immediately was blown to hell by a couple of guys with, what looked like, automatic shotguns.

I respawned...they were still outside.

"Hmmm...I could continue playing this game and get nowhere or go play any other MMO and have fun."

I chose the latter :/. I really hate forced PVP. That's why I quit wow initially, before someone slapped me in the face (metaphorically) and said "Hey artard you don't have to play a PVP server."
those are exploiters. they have been there since beta. unless you get 5 friends to play, don't bother.
I read an article from a player on ripten saying exactly this - the problem he and his team perceived was the amount of hacking, exploiting and forum trolling which the company weren't doing enough to stamp on. Interestingly enough this was posted the day before the announcement.

http://www.ripten.com/2010/08/15/all-points-bulletin-is-apb-dying-demi-a/

Jaredin said:
So nice of them to kick a person when they are down, and now try to make them selves look like industry experts.
While I agree to an extent (some people just 'like' trolling!) I think the gamer community is probably the critic most worth listening to, after all they're the ones buying the end product.

edit: Or are you talking about E.A.?

Locko96

Jan 18, 2010
Shit... i was really looking forward to this and I liked Crackdown from Realtime Worlds.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
coolman9899 said:
imgunagitusucka said:
If they had of had more servers to accomodate the australasian market, and released it for the 360, they would of had a chance.

ummm 360?

yeah no that wouldnt of helped
Oooh yes it would. It was based around third person combat, and a controller and a standardised hardware set would have made everything a LOT smoother.

It's a shame APB tanked, I enjoyed it for a while before the crippling bugs and the vastly underdeveloped matchmaking forced me to leave...

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
I was so disappointed in how this game turned out.
I'd been looking forward to playing it, was totally blown away by the videos of the character customisation and player created content abilities.
Then I started getting reports from a member in my supergroup in Champions online about how incredibly horrible it was, made it sound like a tiny griefing cage online.

So sad, could and should have been a fantastic new option on the MMO scene. Real time had a chance to make a significant splash, and all they did was drop the ball in one of those "good frig what were they smoking" ways.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
cursedseishi said:
squid5580 said:
Ok I don't see the point of offering that. You mean to tell me they were worried about people not being able to afford the extra 3 bucks? Or that they would take advantage of using in game money for more hours? That seems like a waste to be honest. It defeats the whole purpose of getting loot in the first place. You would just wind up in a circle of getting loot to trade for hours to get more loot to get more hours.

All in all that article sent alarms off in my mind and I wouldn't go near it.
No. Its called choices. People aren't always playing an MMO at a consistent basis, they understood that, so they offered a payment method that could accommodate that. If you knew you were going to play more than 20hrs in that one month, or for a few, you could sign up for the 3month time. If you hit a point where you had no clue how long you'd be able to pay, you could just pay for the 20hrs for 7$ and not worry about the "wasted time" you can suffer from from most other P2P mmos.

And no, in-game currency wasn't used to buy game time.
The pricing plan also allows for players to trade their customizations and rewards to other players, or place them on the Marketplace, where they will earn Realtime World (RTW) points, which can then be converted into game time or in-game money.
In the marketplace, you could sell your customization items (cars, clothing, that kind of stuff), for RTW points, which in turn allows you to trade them in for game-time, or in-game currency, there is no currency->point->time conversions.
I'm sorry but stressing over the 3 bucks you might not have used that month is silly. When you said by the hour I thought you meant by the hour. What if I only play 17 hours I am in the exact same position I am if I pay monthly. The difference being I have to worry about going over 20 hours. Hardly a choice. The only ones I could see benefiting from this is MMO widows and parents who don't have the gonads to say "hey time is up, shut it down."

I don't know how the whole customization works but my big fear would be that most people will be in there customizing to get money or time while the actual game part lies dormant. That is why I wouldn't touch it.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
cursedseishi said:
squid5580 said:
I'm sorry but stressing over the 3 bucks you might not have used that month is silly. When you said by the hour I thought you meant by the hour. What if I only play 17 hours I am in the exact same position I am if I pay monthly. The difference being I have to worry about going over 20 hours. Hardly a choice. The only ones I could see benefiting from this is MMO widows and parents who don't have the gonads to say "hey time is up, shut it down."

I don't know how the whole customization works but my big fear would be that most people will be in there customizing to get money or time while the actual game part lies dormant. That is why I wouldn't touch it.
If you paid for the 20hrs, and only used 17 hrs in a month, you wouldn't be in the same position. Its 20hrs total, not for that one month. Those 3hrs will carry over for next month, and month after next even if not used.

And, if you stopped being so narrow-minded, you'd see why the 20hr pack isn't bad. Not everyone plays just one MMO, some play several, and for random times. I have friends who like to play a couple of p2p mmos, they might play one for a couple weeks, then the other for a week, take a break, play another couple of weeks, then go back to the fist.

What the 7$ option allows is an option that doesn't charge you when you aren't playing the game. Its perfect for those who know their gameplay time is split, and know they won't play much APB, that means that 7$ for 20hrs, could very well end up covering 2-3months of gameplay on extremes.

Sometimes the best way to compete in an industry, is to go for a small spot that others in that market don't cover. I don't see WoW, or Aion, or any other MMO outside of Korea let you pay just for gametime, not monthly access. It lets APB become a side-line game, one you just play when you feel like. The only other MMO that currently competes with this bit of market is Guild Wars, but the two games play so differently that it doesn't matter, since the target audience wouldn't be bothered by the other, and they don't exactly mix as well.
Well maybe if you had communicated it better I might not have appeared so narrow minded. I'll tell you what. You send me the 50 bucks or whatever the game costs or a copy of the game itself and I will gladly give it a chance. But there is no way in hell I am going to spend my money on a game the publisher has no faith in. That is the bottom line.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately one of the major problems APB had was the pricing system. As demonstrated in the thread, it was too complicated and prompted much in the way of confusion. *insert insult to the marketers here for failing to point out you can pay by the hour OR by the month*
Although personally, I wouldn't have stumped up the monthly money myself.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
ASnogarD said:
Probably due to the fact EA pushed through the premature relaease and forced the unusual payment scheme...sorry, even WoW doesnt muster the power to justify a buy the game, and pay for the time you actually play scheme.

Take note designers, most players dont want to be arsed with fancy pay per hour shite, most would merely ask how much per month and then tell you to STFU till the next billing. Mess with the formulae and you already take a huge hit in popularity, so if the product dont match the audicity of the payment scheme... welcome to the dole.
That payment scheme is exactly what stopped me buying the game.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Alas, the payment scheme was a damn good idea if you understood it. Having a per-hour solution (as in: you play for 20 hours, and I don't give a damn what calendar month you play in) would have suited my better than the traditional per-calendar-month scheme. Sadly, that's one innovation in MMOs that's probably going to killed off by APB's failure.