EA Really Doesn't Want to be The Worst Company In America

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong."

Well, tell me, Mr. Moore- if you can- how many people installed Origin because they thought it was the best source for deals on games, and how many installed it because it was foisted on them by your company as a necessity to play your games?

Now, I'm not saying that Valve isn't guilty of the same thing with Steam, but I think the ratio of willing to unwilling users is much higher with Steam than with Origin.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Blandy Buchanan said:
gigastar said:
Im sure that Activision is a taller tree than EA, yet theyve done nothing to piss off this many people over the last 2 years.
I'm sure there are other companies far more deserving than a VIDEO GAME PUBLISHER.
More deserving? Maybe.

Do i care about them? Nope.

Also using block caps on this forum is a fast way to lose whatever influence you might have in a discussion on theese forums.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
''Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.

Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.

We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really...

In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.''

WOW. This is why you are the worst company. Statements like this.

Disregarding any argument by saying 'it's not. period'. Doesn't mean you are in the right. Seriously is that your argument??!!

45 million have registered on origin because THEY HAVE TO. I had to for Mass effect 3. I will never use it again...unless I feel like playing that one disappointing title again. I have not logged back in for 10 months!

Wow, trying to be the good guy because you are being attacked by the Fox news crowd. Like you are some major leader in LGBT rights. That's a new low.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Removing the always on component from your titles might go some way, also, quite stripping out content and selling it back as DLC.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
and having one hell of a good public relations team
I'm not entirely sure why this is crossed out, as it's pretty much spot on: Valve makes good games, but where they truly shine is salesmanship. The way they've made their customers love them for the chance to buy their stuff is a PR/sales masterclass in and of itself.

EA, on the other hand, is an equally perfect example in how to do it wrong. Quite entertaining, but wrong.
Now this doesn't put them quite in the same league as companies that have ruined countless people's lives, but as has been pointed out already: "not the absolute worst" still is pretty fucking terrible.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
I still don't like the company, but I find it a bit nice to see his response. I find it kind of heartwarming to see a guy stand up for his beliefs.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I agree they aren't the worst company in America that said the specific points he outlines is utter BS

Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.
You can say all you want but it's obvious that it is. You can insist that pig is a chicken all day but that doesn't make it true

Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
I don't care that you want to compete with Steam normally I'd even say ya it's a good thing but you've done shit all with origin. No good sales, no real feature improvements. Remember that roadmap you published when you launched Origin and it was basically just a reskined EADM with a friends list? Ya it's still just a reskinned Ea download manager with a friends list you've not put any effort into improving it. If you're gonna make us abandon steam to play your games don't tell us how awesome it's going to be and then not deliver.

Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.
Ya your F2P model for SWTOR is arguably the most anemic and worthless f2p model in the world. As for your other F2P models it is a pox upon gaming. You're doing F2P wrong.

We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really...
I know nothing about this don't care.

In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.
Ya conservatives are stupid I don't care and I honestly doubt that many people are voting you the worst company because of that. Maybe it's because you take IPs, companies and other things we love and milk them until they are dead for profit. Often making stupid and short sighted decisions for the simple sake of perceived increase in profit that never materializes in the long run.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
GAunderrated said:
I can't be the only one who read his bullet points going "bullshit....more bullshit....padded numbers.....and more bullshit"
Actually I read I think you're all stupid I think you're all stupid I think you're all stupid I think you're all stupid .

EA's big problem is their insistence on trying to piss on people and tell them it's raining. Stuff like SimCity's 'not DRM' being a prime example. It's a lot like Sony in the two years after the PS3's release actually, the disconnect between their public statements and the reality borders on the hilarious.

Any claims about achievements he makes can be wiped out with the following uncomfortable fact, EA's market value now is less than one third of what it was in 2008. If that doesn't scream 'you're doing it wrong guys!' I don't know what does.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Wow, he's really confident in himself.

I'll give him that.

Still a prick, completely off base, and ultra-denialist

but confident

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
EA is starting to cave in that some of its business practices are bad, but wont accept that micro-transactions and always online are a bad thing.....

KEEP VOTING THEM THE WORST.

Give it two more years and it may be gone.

Hell, I usually stand up for EA for not being the worst, but hell, if its getting progress, lets do it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
- Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.

Didn't some hacker already prove you wrong on Youtube, like actually PROVE you wrong?

- Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.

Don't some of your games REQUIRE Origin to work? I think Steam do this to, I suppose thats just how things are.

- Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.

As long as its done with class EA... class!

- We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really...

Okay, this is petty as fuck, UNLESS were talking about that Michael Vick bullshit. That **** should have been out of the running on day 1!

- In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

Okay, good on you for at least taking a stance unlike some other companies, I'll gladly give you this one.

There are some truly disgusting companies based in America but as he said, EA has alot of online followers due to the nature of their buisness. It sucks for EA that users don't take the poll a little more seriously but thats asking people on the internet to act like adults... and well...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
EA ar'n't going to read this thread, why are you all posting as if they will? Furthermore they don't care anyway. Give up, don't buy their games and complain to them not the escapist.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'll just copy and paste from what I've said previously...

What I will say is that I admire Peter Moore owning up and saying basically "We fucked up". I also admire the bit when he says EA won't cave to homophobes. While it doesn't affect me, I'm sure a lot of LGBT gamers will appreciate that stance.

And one thing I will say is that I personally don't believe EA is the worst company in America.

However, personally, what I don't like is the "Our success is the reason we're being picked". While he admits fault with a few things EA have done, saying "We're only hated because we're successful" is just arrogant, and for the most part wrong. There are companies that manage to be successful and widely popular. To use an example in gaming, Valve. While they aren't widely loved by all, and aren't perfect, they have managed to be hugely successful and are also popular.

So I suppose I'm "half-and-half" on this statement. Half of me wants to shake hands and agree with the guy. The other half wants to slap him silly.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I'm not throwing money at the screen I'm giving it two middles fingers, why is this not working?!

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Oh i thought always online requirement was drm. Well he sure showed me i was wrong by saying that it wasn't multiple times.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I think EA needs to fire more people, and figure out the problems with the ones you have.

There are two groups I can namely think that's been hurting them - Its their fact-finders and the PR team. Whoever gathers their facts simply does not go deep enough, and whoever comes up with whatever ideas like Sin to Win or that commercial with the moms is hurting EA way more than anything else. I'd go as far as firing all but two PR members, and then make their ideas require approval from the actual public; it's going to be hard to pass ideas this way, but what it does is give them a constant dose of reality when making these decisions. EA also needs to watch out for yes-men in their ranks; it's not going to help if they've got people who are too afraid or cannot defend themselves to say no to anything. Find these yes-men, find the cause of their inability to logically decide, and deal with that cause. If that cause is somebody who's kept things at an even keel, EA should still get rid of them - They've resorted to fear and supremacy so they can maintain that order.

Office morale is no doubt another cause. After EA_Spouse's letter, there is a dark clouds hanging over all of EA's developer offices. Nobody wants to feel like a prisoner to their work, and poorly-treated and poorly-recognized developers only result in overall bad performance and poor morale. This poor recognition, performance, and morale is considerably part of the reason why EA's recent games have essentially crashed and burned with bursts of player negativity emanating from them - Who wants to do their best on a game they won't be recognized for, or worse lambasted by the public over, for a game that requires teams of several hundred people?

Finally, here's something EA really needs to revalue. It's something that is basically driving everyone mad, be it the remaining players of their games or their development houses. It's EA's time constraints; they should just stop such ludicrously short lengths, and TAKE. THEIR. TIME. We're happy to be patient, hell probably even happier if the game development scene would slow down a little so we can actually have time to play all the new releases! Longer timelines for games, despite their the costs, means refinement and more experimentation with mechanics. Refinement and experimentation means better gameplay and re-engineering certain game mechanics that would be poorly defined or need expansion. Expanded and improved mechanics and better gameplay means happier people. Happier people is what EA is trying to aim for, and all it took was more time! In fact, if EA would banish the annual release model, I'd expect company morale to immediately rise.

So tl;dr, EA needs to: Fire almost all of their fact-finders and PR team, get rid of the yes-men (or their overly authoritative superiors), deal with the morale/team size problem, and take their time with promising games.

Or they could get their stockholders to care. How many of those stockholders really care of the quality of the game, and how many just want profits at the expense of everything else?

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
The Artificially Prolonged said:
So your sticking with it's an MMO thing then huh? Funny cause I though MMOs generally supported a bit more than 16 concurrent players. I can keep calling a banana a female aardvark, but it doesn't make anymore true. SimCity's always online requirement is DRM, no amount of weaseling will change that.
we should just call them all a bunch of smeee heeee...'s and be done with it