EA Really Doesn't Want to be The Worst Company In America

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Dexter111 said:
-super-awesome-ultra-snip-zorg
Beautifully put, I agree absolutely 100%

Yet again another EA press release dressed up as an offering of peace and statement of care, that is nothing more than veiled insults and political rhetoric that takes blame for nothing, stokes their own egos and disregards the criticisms, playing the victim and blaming the customer. Take your apology and shove it up your aspen.
DVS BSTrD said:
The tallest trees catch the most wind, and you are definitely blowing the most wind right now Peter Moore.
Can I be the first to gleefully shout TIMBER!

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
thethird0611 said:
EA is starting to cave in that some of its business practices are bad, but wont accept that micro-transactions and always online are a bad thing.....

KEEP VOTING THEM THE WORST.

Give it two more years and it may be gone.

Hell, I usually stand up for EA for not being the worst, but hell, if its getting progress, lets do it.
The idea that I originally found most pleasing was that EA would get on these Consumerist tournaments for multiple years in a row, but not getting in "first place". I mean, EA has its own vileness, but it seems like Ticketmaster is not only close to a monopoly while EA has its handful of titles each year, and has even worse customer service than EA does. Few years of EA having to be on their toes could do a lot of good

BUT!

Peter Moore's open letter is so bad that its points can easily be refuted by more than half the damn people on these forums, and it just shows that EA management hasn't learned one damn bit. Riccitiello might have stepped down, but it's same ol' bullshit.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
GAunderrated said:
I can't be the only one who read his bullet points going "bullshit....more bullshit....padded numbers.....and more bullshit"

EA has got to stop trying to justify themselves because they can't. I am sorry the decisions they are making are not justifiable so please stop it. We arn't going to buy your crap opinions on the matter.
I laughed so hard I farted when he said that SimCity has no DRM and then said you are wrong if you disagree :p.

Felt good.

I appreciated it.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Let me play Devil's Advocate for a moment, especially regarding SimCity...

Where is YOUR proof? We have EA saying it's not an online DRM thing, and we have Maxis, the people that actually MADE the game, saying it is not a DRM thing. Given that Maxis made a lot of other Sims games and games that 'encourage' multiplayer playing, like say DarkSpore? A game where you have to be online to play all the time... But nowhere near the same shitstorm... Also published by EA...

So I can buy the 'not a DRM thing', Maxis are trying to get to a fanbase that are always online. While they are currently rumours about the new Xbox Console, with the Creative Director stating that "always is on" is okay, it does imply that this is the attitude that the CONSUMERS are giving the Developers?

How about how popular the multiplayer aspects of games are? Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, StarCraft 2, All of the MMOs, Gears of War, God of War, Counter-Strike, DOTA, LOL, and dozens of others...

Can you blame them for trying to get in on this action? People buy these games to play in a social setting, because we are too lazy to set up LANs... Like it or not, and most of you won't, we are forcing the trend of video games to go this way... Look at the titles coming up, and how many of them have an online multiplayer component?

We asked for this, so just stop complaining about it, until you can PROVE that EA forced Maxis to do this...

And if/when you do rant at me, without any plausible evidence, my answer will be, 'Here's your paddle and the Nile is that way'.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Aiddon said:
if you have voted that EA is worse than the Bank of America despite being up to date on current events, I'm gonna say this right now: YOU'RE A FUCKING MORON. And if you're just ignorant of the BoA's actions, then get yourself familiar.
Are they the bank that got away with protecting money of Drug Cartels?

gigastar said:
Im sure that Activision is a taller tree than EA, yet theyve done nothing to piss off this many people over the last 2 years.
I found it strange that he'd say that. The whole reason some plants and animals grow massive is they kill off the competition. I'm not too keen on supporting a company that slaughters its competition instead of working in symbiosis with them. I know a lot of people love that whole cutthroat capitalism but to me its shitty and inhuman.

VoidWanderer said:
How about how popular the multiplayer aspects of games are? Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, StarCraft 2, All of the MMOs, Gears of War, God of War, Counter-Strike, DOTA, LOL, and dozens of others...
Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Starcraft 2, Gears of War, and God of War all have offline modes and offline options. Starcraft 2 requires you be 100% updated but I played it entirely offline just fine.

Comparing MMOs which >literally require online to exist< to Sim City is disingenuous and makes you sound like a child. Which fits in with your last line I guess.

LOL and DOTA I can't speak on, though they have AI modes so they could run offline just fine if they don't already. I don't play either because their communities are toxic to me :/.

Sim City can be played entirely offline by editing two lines of code. You probably already know this. The only thing that requires online is their cloud saves system. But everyone knows how to do cloud saves without always online. Over half my steam library has both cloud saving and runs offline.

If you play Sim City next to someone you will not see what they are doing. The game isn't even updated live, it sends updates periodically to reduce stress on the server. If you happen to know two people who own it have them play side by side, their experiences are entirely not synchronized. The only thing that seems to be real time is chat.

They had to turn off nearly every online feature just to make it work. So everyone enjoying the game already has proven that those features that made the game unplayable in the beginning aren't even necessary for the quality of the game.

If it weren't DRM they would have let people play offline and playing online would let the online features work. Like >everyone else<.

Even Diablo 3 is going off the online only for the console edition.

Anywho, I just wasted a lot of time :p. If you did so little research that you had to snark out like that you don't actually want people to tell you anything. You just want to feel smug.

That's cool. Hope this helps warm your cockles or whatever.

I actually don't think Sim City is a bad game, but there is no evidence to suggest that this system is not specifically for DRM. The only thing stopping it from being offline is having it save to your hard drive instead of the cloud, since they can't work that out I guess.

It's a shame but its hardly their biggest problem :). The pathing is otherworldly bad. But I think that gets forgotten when the game has become unplayable quite a few times (even after launch) because the server all your cities are saved on go down.

Which is cool I guess, if you really like doing their forced tutorial that basically calls you an idiot. I've never had a tutorial treat me like I'd drown in a bathtub with more than an inch of water, but that one certainly did.

So that's my 2 cents. If I beat someone with a pipe then adamantly say that I didn't beat them with a pipe and tell anyone who says I did that they are wrong. That doesn't mean I didn't beat them with a pipe. It probably means I don't want to get in trouble for beating them with a pipe.

I don't know >why< the chose their decision, there is some kind of odd fear of piracy as if it has any appreciable impact on sales. But if it weren't for me visiting a friend who works there I would have never bought it (their games are 10 dollars on site, 10 bucks for SimCity and getting Dead Space 3 for free makes it like I paid 5 for each, that is more than fair for either title. I'd say Sim City is probably worth about 15, a solid mindless experience. I liken it to a facebook game, problem is the box says its a deep sim.)

edit: for lulz...

http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/03/ea-and-maxis-could-make-simcity-playable-offline-by-removing-a-single-line-of-code/

http://boingboing.net/2013/03/08/simcity-drm-disaster-continues.html - Cheetah is coming back this week, maybe, its only 2X instead of 3X speed. Because their servers can't take 3X. You know what could take 3X? >.>...my computer.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78236/simcity-update-to-fix-pathing-issues - Pathing issues I mentioned. They were actually pretty funny. Even now if you put 2 sewage processors next to one another all sewage goes to the first and not the second. Everything nearly does closest target. Darn shame.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/12/simcity-server-not-necessary/ - This has since been proven to be true because you can run the game after turning off your internet. You can run it indefinitely with those lines of code above.

As far as I know, you can replugin your internet after a while and it'll update your saves too once the connection is redone. I've never tried this in particular though.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Worst? No. Most hated? Probably.

What EA needs to stop doing is trying to make all their games cater to the 'wider audiences'. By trying to do too much with a game, you're making what it could do very well suffer as a result. Dead Space is an example, by the third one the franchise had devolved into an action game rather than a survival-horror. By giving the developers they own more freedom to make the games they'd like to, better games will be made and the fanbases involved would be a lot less vitriolic towards EA.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The biggest trees catch the most wind.
Or, as I prefer to say, the biggest shits make the most smell.

This just goes to show that the EA execs aren't familiar with reality but very familiar with spin. Fingers crossed they win that award!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Yes, the "Tallest trees catch the most wind", it's a cute saying.
But no cute saying can magic away your history, EA.

EA shouldn't even be in contention as far as I'm concerned, but just because I don't think they're the worst in America doesn't mean I am fooled into thinking they're just a big misunderstood pillar of the gaming community.

And given your recent fuckups, you shouldn't be proud EA.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Desert Punk said:
VoidWanderer said:
We asked for this, so just stop complaining about it, until you can PROVE that EA forced Maxis to do this...

And if/when you do rant at me, without any plausible evidence, my answer will be, 'Here's your paddle and the Nile is that way'.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119449-EA-Turns-Its-Back-on-Single-Player-Games

"I have not green lit one game to be developed as a single player experience. Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365."
If they wanted to make a singleplayer Sim City, Too fuckin bad Frank Gibeau wouldnt green light it, it had to be multiplayer focused in order to get a greenlight at EA.

We never asked for this (/Human Revolution) atleast no one with a brain asked for this. And as for the proof that it didnt need to be always online: The only things that the online connection does is toss a few export variables to the server to let other regional cities know what your city is willing to export, save the game and...check to make sure you have internet connection.

You can easily modify the internet connection out so you can play the game as long as you want offline, that already shoots holes in their statment.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/16/simcity-modder-tells-us-offline-regional-play-easily-done/
Darn :(. I was just about to add that escapist link to my link replies to him :(.

You win!

*bows and walks out*

Edit: Yeah I don't think anyone wanted SimCity online >.>...

Like...nobody? Sure feels like it. I would love it if it were an option that I could dabble in, but 100% of my play has been private. You can't remove someone from your city if they quit which leaves you with a bum neighbor for eternity. Terrible planning on the game design.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
i love the quote and how well it suits his picture here. i'm curious how he comfortably fits all those balls into one pair of pants.

i actually kind of like Peter Moore, hes always been pretty sensible from what i've seen of him and it was cool to see him lose his shit about the dead space being cancelled rumors, and now this.

he's one part of ea that definitely has my love

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
He's not wrong for the most part, but shoving arbitrary numbers at us won't make us start to respect you EA.

"We have 45 million registered users"

How many made an account and don't use it? (Probably for either security reasons, or because EA's prices suck).

How many made an account just for 1 or 2 exclusives? (I'd bet most)

How many made a SECOND account because the first one got BANNED? (I won't get into semantics here).

Go back to your LGBT defense for a while and garner some respect for doing the right thing. Or bring back Bullfrog and Westwood.

I do feel sorry for some of the flak EA gets because of "reasons", but then again I also feel sorry for bullies who simply can't make friends anymore.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know, I just voted for EA being the worst company in America for the semi-finals, and nothing this guy said made be regret that. Saying about how you don't want to be hated is one thing, but it's just empty words until you actually DO something about it.