EA Remains Hopeful For a Deal With Bungie

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Miumaru said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Miumaru said:
If a company can stand on it's own, they should. Why Bioware puts up with EA I don't know. Fun fact: On the Mass Effect 2 box, Bioware is stated twice but hard to notice. EA has it's rather obvious logo in 3 spots, and EA is mentioned many more times in the smaller bits.
EA is not as bad as it used to be apparently, but they seem like they just wanna leach.
BioWare 'puts up with' EA, because EA signs their paychecks. It's kinda hard to finance the $100 Million game BioWare makes.
I am aware of what they do, hence my first line, since I doubt Bioware lacks the resources to publish their own games. Considering they put out so many huge games AND in rather rapid succession too. If you are smaller, I can understand why you would toil under a company like EA, but Bioware is not some small, weak group.
Hey, even the big boys need money. With the kind of costs game development incurs in this day and age, one huge flop can bankrupt anyone. Companies like EA and Activision are some of the only companies around with the kind of capital you need to absorb a potentially huge loss.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
SilentHunter7 said:
Miumaru said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Miumaru said:
If a company can stand on it's own, they should. Why Bioware puts up with EA I don't know. Fun fact: On the Mass Effect 2 box, Bioware is stated twice but hard to notice. EA has it's rather obvious logo in 3 spots, and EA is mentioned many more times in the smaller bits.
EA is not as bad as it used to be apparently, but they seem like they just wanna leach.
BioWare 'puts up with' EA, because EA signs their paychecks. It's kinda hard to finance the $100 Million game BioWare makes.
I am aware of what they do, hence my first line, since I doubt Bioware lacks the resources to publish their own games. Considering they put out so many huge games AND in rather rapid succession too. If you are smaller, I can understand why you would toil under a company like EA, but Bioware is not some small, weak group.
Hey, even the big boys need money. With the kind of costs game development incurs in this day and age, one huge flop can bankrupt anyone. Companies like EA and Activision are some of the only companies around with the kind of capital you need to absorb a potentially huge loss.
Mostly thanks to anti-gaming buisness tactics.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Miumaru said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Not really. Even good games can flop. See; Psychonauts, and Beyond Good and Evil. Oddworld might be the best example. Stranger's Wrath was a pretty good game, but it sold like crap, and Oddworld Inhabitants had to liquidate it's dev studio to pay back their debt.

Hell, even Valve doesn't like taking risks. Before they knew Portal was going to be a hit, they had a bare-bones dev team working on it with a short development cycle. All to minimize the cost the game had to recoup back in case it wasn't a big seller.

Personally, I blame the consumer. When you see games like Modern Warfare 2 making money hand over fist, you can't really be surprised when other companies try emulating them.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
SilentHunter7 said:
Miumaru said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Not really. Even good games can flop. See; Psychonauts, and Beyond Good and Evil. Oddworld might be the best example. Stranger's Wrath was a pretty good game, but it sold like crap, and Oddworld Inhabitants had to liquidate it's dev studio to pay back their debt.

Hell, even Valve doesn't like taking risks. Before they knew Portal was going to be a hit, they had a bare-bones dev team working on it with a short development cycle. All to minimize the cost the game had to recoup back in case it wasn't a big seller.

Personally, I blame the consumer. When you see games like Modern Warfare 2 making money hand over fist, you can't really be surprised when other companies try emulating them.
Kpetick himself basically says so, and EA would just eat up any developers they could get. One thing to not go crazy with risks, I do understand that they ALL wanna turn a profit, but there is a line. Koetick looks for it intently, and EA atleast previously, just ignored it.