EA: Retail is Great and Day-One DLC is Awesome

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
So what's the problem with day one DLC again? By my understanding it's produced during the publishing and distribution stages. You know, the point where the programmers, artists and the rest of the development staff are doing fuck all besides Q&A.
That's been demonstrably not the case in the instance of several games already

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
So what's the problem with day one DLC again? By my understanding it's produced during the publishing and distribution stages. You know, the point where the programmers, artists and the rest of the development staff are doing fuck all besides Q&A.
Besides ME3, I do realize that it has happened before, but I am unaware any others, please be kind enough to provide some examples.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
teh_Canape said:
On-Disc DLC is pretty damn idiotic
although I do think retail is pretty alright
as available and cheap as digital might be, it can't beat the wonderful smell of a brand new game box
I gotta agree, who here doesn't remember ripping the plastic off the box copy of our favorite games and reading the manual while our parents drove us home from the local EB or Gamestop when we were younger. I still remember looking through the great GTA manuals (I loved those damn things) trying to see what had changed since the last game and wanting to see if it came with another poster. Hell I still have the GTA San Andreas map/poster taped to my wall right behind me. Sadly though there's just not as much incentive to get box copies anymore since anything extra like that tends to be Deluxe Edition extras and the manuals and boxes just seem so much more plain and poorly done. I switched over to using steam exclusively to get all my games nearly a year ago now since I really don't want to have to drive all the way down the road for a flimsy looking box and a 3-page list of legal terms and techincal garbage.

P.S. I have to say best image ever! Seriously how the hell can you go wrong with Katawa Shoujo and Rarity?!

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Besides ME3, I do realize that it has happened before, but I am unaware any others, please be kind enough to provide some examples.
Well while it's not EA you didn't say it had to be EA games so Risen 2 might hold the record with having 3 parts of the game ripped out as DLC that's already in the game. However because it's in the game you can unlock it with console commands since it's only on the PC for now. I heard a few people saying the console versions will have the DLC included (as in not being sold back to you) but I don't know if that's going to be true.
EDIT: Also while there's no proof Darksiders 2 is having a bunch of DLC giving away with stuff that was announced way before release. THQ is doing the pre order DLCs with different retailers and giving another piece of DLC with copies of the Darksiders book. Day One DLC in theory is done in the 3 months of certification but those were announced months ago and the game comes out in August. It really does make me upset since I like THQ's games but now they are trying to do everything they can to make sure they survive. I just wish they would let the consumer save them without trying to rob them at the same time.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
kajinking said:
teh_Canape said:
On-Disc DLC is pretty damn idiotic
although I do think retail is pretty alright
as available and cheap as digital might be, it can't beat the wonderful smell of a brand new game box
I gotta agree, who here doesn't remember ripping the plastic off the box copy of our favorite games and reading the manual while our parents drove us home from the local EB or Gamestop when we were younger. I still remember looking through the great GTA manuals (I loved those damn things) trying to see what had changed since the last game and wanting to see if it came with another poster. Hell I still have the GTA San Andreas map/poster taped to my wall right behind me. Sadly though there's just not as much incentive to get box copies anymore since anything extra like that tends to be Deluxe Edition extras and the manuals and boxes just seem so much more plain and poorly done. I switched over to using steam exclusively to get all my games nearly a year ago now since I really don't want to have to drive all the way down the road for a flimsy looking box and a 3-page list of legal terms and techincal garbage.

P.S. I have to say best image ever! Seriously how the hell can you go wrong with Katawa Shoujo and Rarity?!
indeed, too bad that modern game manuals tend to be rather pathetic
only proper one I've seen lately was Bioshock 2

I do have to say, though, that I find myself defending retail games rather, idk, "crazy", with how outrageous their prices are here in comparison to digital

as for the avatar, it sure is awesome, although I didn't particularly like how it came out as if they were both bopping their heads simultaneously
but hey, a friend made it for me out of the goodness of his heart, so it can be overlooked real easy
that and dat animation flow XD

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
80Maxwell08 said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Well while it's not EA you didn't say it had to be EA games so Risen 2 might hold the record with having 3 parts of the game ripped out as DLC that's already in the game. However because it's in the game you can unlock it with console commands since it's only on the PC for now. I heard a few people saying the console versions will have the DLC included (as in not being sold back to you) but I don't know if that's going to be true.
EDIT: Also while there's no proof Darksiders 2 is having a bunch of DLC giving away with stuff that was announced way before release. THQ is doing the pre order DLCs with different retailers and giving another piece of DLC with copies of the Darksiders book. Day One DLC in theory is done in the 3 months of certification but those were announced months ago and the game comes out in August. It really does make me upset since I like THQ's games but now they are trying to do everything they can to make sure they survive. I just wish they would let the consumer save them without trying to rob them at the same time.
Does that really qualify as day one DLC then? And while that qualifies as a dick move on the publishers behalf, I'd even go a bit further to call it complete and utter bullshit, I was referring DLC like Zaeed and Javik from Mass Effect, the classic skins from Mortal Kombat. Things of that nature. Extras developers worked on during the earlier mentioned fuck off time between finishing the game and the release day. In regards to disc locked content as in Risen 2 that, as it seems to me, is giving actual day one DLC a bad name and drawing peoples ire towards a beneficial service.

As for THQ's DS2 the dlc most likely hadn't been started yet beyond concept art. It seemed to be just another advertisement for the game. Odds are they're working on it now, finishing touches, making sure it doesn't bug the game that sort of thing. Could be wrong though it's not like I work there...

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
The last paragraph alone kinda shows how much of a greedy prick the guy is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not inharently against day-1 DLC as a concept. There can even be cases made where some of the content is already on the disk because it was ready by the time they were done with the bug-testing and other things. But his comment made it pretty obvious that the stuff could be included. It just doesn't have to be.

I do wonder if that 40% adoption rate for the ME3 DLC includes the CE as well. And I also wonder if he realizes that was pretty much only because it was a very well-known game and a fairly interesting character with a good story arch.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Does that really qualify as day one DLC then? And while that qualifies as a dick move on the publishers behalf, I'd even go a bit further to call it complete and utter bullshit, I was referring DLC like Zaeed and Javik from Mass Effect, the classic skins from Mortal Kombat. Things of that nature. Extras developers worked on during the earlier mentioned fuck off time between finishing the game and the release day. In regards to disc locked content as in Risen 2 that, as it seems to me, is giving actual day one DLC a bad name and drawing peoples ire towards a beneficial service.

As for THQ's DS2 the dlc most likely hadn't been started yet beyond concept art. It seemed to be just another advertisement for the game. Odds are they're working on it now, finishing touches, making sure it doesn't bug the game that sort of thing. Could be wrong though it's not like I work there...
Day 1 DLC is simply DLC that's on Day 1 how people explain it in theory is making it in the certification phase. Sorry for wording that wrong. Also if I remember correctly wasn't the only thing ready on Day 1 for ME2 the Cerberus Network which has the DLC come out later?
Though what makes Risen's case special is that they have no excuse for Day 1 DLC since certification on PC services is only a couple of weeks. Even if someone didn't try the console commands out it's incredibly obvious.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
80Maxwell08 said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:

Day 1 DLC is simply DLC that's on Day 1 how people explain it in theory is making it in the certification phase. Sorry for wording that wrong. Also if I remember correctly wasn't the only thing ready on Day 1 for ME2 the Cerberus Network which has the DLC come out later?
Though what makes Risen's case special is that they have no excuse for Day 1 DLC since certification on PC services is only a couple of weeks. Even if someone didn't try the console commands out it's incredibly obvious.
I thought Zaeed was day one? Must be my memory fading. As for Risen you're right it's bullshit. Also just talked to my friend who got it and he confirmed the disc locked content, I refuse to call it DLC. As I said though it's crap like in Risen 2 that people should be upset about, not things like Javik or the Consul's Car case from LA Noir.

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:

I thought Zaeed was day one? Must be my memory fading. As for Risen you're right it's bullshit. Also just talked to my friend who got it and he confirmed the disc locked content, I refuse to call it DLC. As I said though it's crap like in Risen 2 that people should be upset about, not things like Javik or the Consul's Car case from LA Noir.
YEah, Zaeed was, but it also was unlockable through the Cerberus Network by buying the game new rather than used. I actually didn't mind it, but I could see why people hate it.

OP: I prefer retail, but not because I don't have a credit card and am worried about hackers. Although admittedly that those are two reasons. I like having a disk, it is nostalgic and I like the premise of going over a friend's house with a copy of a game. Having a physical copy has a sense of worth and ownership that a file on your computer can never have. And add the fact that I have a Gamestop within walking distance from my house, and retail seems to be the easier option.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Jaeke said:
I... well...

who's honestly suprised?

That big bad publisher is backing the big bad retailer that gives them money, who would have guessed!

That cartoon is hilarious. They really capture the feel of shopping there. The funny thing is that EA seems proud that they've made the game "owning" experience very similar.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
he actually made some pretty good points in defense of retail and actually sounded like a reasonable person.... right up until that last comment where it just sounded like he said it while sitting atop his throne constructed from narwal horns and demolished orphanages.

personally I prefer retail, mainly because on my Australian internet the fastest download speed I get is 600kb per second so it actually takes longer to download a game than walk to an EB games and buy it there.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Jaeke said:
I... well...

who's honestly suprised?

That big bad publisher is backing the big bad retailer that gives them money, who would have guessed!

And this is why I buy most of my stuff either through Steam, or through Amazon if I absolutely *must* own a physical copy. Game stores are a plague, no matter which franchise you're referring to.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
what i read out of this was, "look people. we, from ?A, are so proud that so many stupid people like our business scheme and make us rich."

i still prefer retail because the installation is so much faster. it has nothing to do with not having a credit card or hackers. sure, i got many games from steam since it is handy in a way to sit at home and buy it that way. because the retail store who sells pc games at least is far away and not cheap either to get there.
put it this way. both versions have pros and cons.

pro for retail:
- its a physical copy you can keep.
- no account required (unless steam or origin, etc. is required).
- faster installation.
- you can sell it again (if we think of the good old days) which dint require online activation.

cons for retail:
- you have to spend more money for transport and time (not everyone has a retail store around the corner).
- the shop might not have it or its sold out.
- at times they cost more then digital (steam).
- not every store has the games you want.

pro for digital:
- you can stay at home.
- steam/origin at least have this advantage by updating the games automatically so as patching them.
- has special offers like 75% off (steam).
- you can buy a whole bundle.
- pretty much every game is available.
- at times cheaper then retail.

cons for digital:
- needs a long time to download if you dont have a fast connection or connection problems.
- fear that you might lose the game sometime in the future.
- accounts can be hacked.
- you cant sell the games.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
EA: The greatest trolls in the videogame industry.

OK, the greatest ones that are real.
I'm quite certain Capcom beats them in the troll category...but EA does come in at a VERY close second.

xedobubble

Apr 2, 2009
Digital trumps retail in a lot of ways, but that doesn't mean retail is bad or needs to die. Think of going to the pub. You can get your booze on faster at home, with lower costs... but the bar is an established, nay cherished, institution because it brings a lot of value-added in terms of social opportunity, expertise, etc. Video game stores can coexist with digital distribution if they just adapt by finding their new niche. Or maybe they can just start selling booze to supplement the merch :p

But day one DLC can die in a fire.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
but...but I like retail

digital distribution can be a *****
Especially in our Land Down Under because the internet ranges from standard to total shit depending on where you are.