EA shuts down Maxis

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Maxis Emeryville, the studio behind such classics as the original SimCity and The Sims is officially no more.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Maxis-Shut-Down-by-Electronic-Arts-SimCity-and-The-Sims-Moving-to-New-Studios-474893.shtml

Can't say I'm surprised, given EA's track record [http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/doddmic/qSLZg.jpg] for these things. Indeed, Maxis has been dead to me for years on account of EA's meddling. Still, it is sad to see the developer officially shut down, and I hope the employees find new jobs soon.

And now some parting words of wisdom from LGR:

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
This means little except the original studio is closed down long ago at Walnut Creek. Emeryville is the site of the Maxis Studio games Which was Spore and SimCity. Sims Studio is still up and running

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
On one hand "Oh no!"

On the other hand "Meh, EA's been munting the dead horse for a pretty long fucking time, goodnight sweet prince."

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
At least we still have Simcity 4.

Someone needs to update that comic of daddy EA showing bioware the death pit an new victim has been added. On that note Bioware has survived alot longer than most had originally predicted when EA got their claws into them.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Farewell. Maxis shall be remembered alongside the greats of the early gaming industry, pity they had to go out with such a whimper instead of the roar they deserved.

Darks63 said:
Someone needs to update that comic of daddy EA showing bioware the death pit an new victim has been added. On that note Bioware has survived alot longer than most had originally predicted when EA got their claws into them.
Is this the one you're talking about?

Or this one?

Kinda telling that googling 'EA graveyard' brought up a whole slew of results.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
The Madman said:
Farewell. Maxis shall be remembered alongside the greats of the early gaming industry, pity they had to go out with such a whimper instead of the roar they deserved.

Darks63 said:
Is this the one you're talking about?

Or this one?

Kinda telling that googling 'EA graveyard' brought up a whole slew of results.
The first one is the one I was thing of. I guess it already had maxis in the death pit on it /shrug. Ty for the second though didn't know that one existed.

Jung Frankenstein

Sep 16, 2014
I like how the SimCity disaster was kind of all EA's fault (I can't see Maxis wanting an always-on connection for any reason) and yet they all get let go. Yes, they had some misses, but LCR is right: an era is ending, and the new EA-Ubi era is beginning. We've gone from the Republic to Caesar vs. Marc Antony, which as we all know, ends with Nero fiddling while Rome burns.

RIP Maxis. Not the first to go, not the last, but still sad. I had a lot of fun times with Sim games (I actually hated the Sims). Sad, but if they're gonna be forced to pinch out debacles like SimCity, it's probably good riddance.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
The Madman said:
Westwood... Bullfrog... Curse you EA!!!

Ontopic:
Not really a surprise EA thinks it can get a bit of credit back after the Simcity blunder by shutting down the 'offending' studio. But we all know it was the corporate imbeciles at EA that screwed the pooch on that.

Maxis has been an empty shell for ages now, same as Bioware. The name is still there but it has already been gutted an cleaned, ready to be killed of the moment it put the company in a bad light; it seems the ME3 controversy wasn't enough.

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
sniddy said:
I have become EA

Destroyer of companies
Reaper of Fun.

Obliterator of IPs.

Dispenser of microtransactions.

2nd cousin to the Prince of Darkness. (23d in line for the throne)

Reanimator of things, man should not wot of.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
Fare thee well sweet yellow ant. May your legions follow you on your path of conquest long after your creators have disappeared into the mists of history.

PsiChaos

Nothing Interesting Here
Feb 21, 2015
There goes another studio EA has managed to utterly destroy. I swear they do it intentionally at this point. Wonder what's the next studio is going to be? Place your bets!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not suprising given EA corrupting hands of doom whenever it had latch onto a smaller companies.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
PsiChaos said:
There goes another studio EA has managed to utterly destroy. I swear they do it intentionally at this point. Wonder what's the next studio is going to be? Place your bets!
I'm calling Popcap. I'm probably wrong because I have no idea how profitable the company still is, but considering what has happened to Plants Vs Zombies since EA took over, I would not be shocked to hear them next.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Darks63 said:
At least we still have Simcity 4.

That's only because DA:Inquisition didn't suck major balls or pulled an ME3 ending. That was pretty much their last shot.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
PsiChaos said:
To be fair Maxis and Bullfrog choked themselves on EAs money as well. By the time Bullfrog was shut down Molyneux and his core staff have left. Maxis was in a similar situation Spore didnt do so well and Simcity 5 was pretty much one last sendoff from Emeryville.

Westwood died because rts were on the decline.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I concluded my mourning for Maxis in 2008.
About time that shambling mockery of a childhood favorite is finally down.

Now just to wait and see how long it takes for EA to wring Bioware and DICE out.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
I'm curious hwat happens to the employees when a development company shuts down. Do they move onto other projects or do they leave the industry? Have they been amalgamated into another one of EA's pets?