EA Slashes Prices Across Origin Today

Toby Kitching

Oct 24, 2011
Micalas said:
Maybe so but there has been a trust fostered between Valve and PC games. I'm not saying that this trust isn't potentially misplaced, but EA has never given gamers a reason to trust them.
So give EA a chance to earn some trust back. If you constantly shoot down everything EA comes out with because it's EA, then this trend will never turn around. However you look at it, EA has made a significant contribution to modern gaming. I wouldn't like a series of appalling advertising decisions to completely sink a company that, from a technical perspective, i have a great deal of respect for.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Toby Kitching said:
Micalas said:
Maybe so but there has been a trust fostered between Valve and PC games. I'm not saying that this trust isn't potentially misplaced, but EA has never given gamers a reason to trust them.
So give EA a chance to earn some trust back. If you constantly shoot down everything EA comes out with because it's EA, then this trend will never turn around. However you look at it, EA has made a significant contribution to modern gaming. I wouldn't like a series of appalling advertising decisions to completely sink a company that, from a technical perspective, i have a great deal of respect for.
Trust me, I'm not one of those over the top haters of things like Origin or Bobby Kotick. I've made some off the cuff jokes because they seem to be well received. I'm in this for a good gaming experience. I don't really care where that experience comes from. Adolf Hitler could come back from the dead and fill my stocking with Half-Life 3, Megaman Legends 3, a HD remake of Parasite Eve 2, ect, and I'd still graciously thank the man for the presents as I cursed his existence on an internet forum.

With all of that said, I played EA games previous because they weren't holding the reigns after I purchased it. I think they've been given enough chances. Don't get wrong, I'm not looking for EA to go under nor am I denying their contribution to modern gaming. If the economy were doing better I'd be a little more willing to reach out to EA for trust but right now I don't blame people for sticking with the platform they know.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Toby Kitching said:
Micalas said:
I so get the feeling you work for EA in some capacity. As people have already said, EA are not a company I want to trust... ever.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I've been suspended at least once from every forum I have ever been on (Escapist twice :)) so using Origin means I lose any money I spend on the games.

Yeah, no thanks.
Is it hard to avoid forums?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Mojo_22 said:
4RM3D said:
The discount isn't here, in the Netherlands, possible whole Europe. :(
Not here in Germany either.
Damm... 40% off BF3 and would have got it.
Maybe well get them later.
Try GamersGate, although it seems to be missing in action at the moment, BF3 was heavily discounted by about 30% just a few days ago, maybe more, I already have it so I didn't pay too much attention. There is a daily EA deal on GG when I log in through the UK portal, as well as buy three games get a fourth one deals and much more. GamersGate is cheaper than Origin for me as well even before discounting, but that is product of a strong Australian dollar and boneheaded pricing policy by EA through Origin. Might not be a difference for you with the Euro being dragged through the mud. Good for German exporters though.

EA do seem to be learning, but given their prices aren't competitive compared to GG, Steam, and even Retail, 40% isn't going to cut it. They are on their way I suppose.

EA do own a bunch of franchises I like and will buy such as NFS, Mass Effect, Battlefield and every five years or so FIFA, but I don't see myself buying through Origin. They still have some way to go.

The EULA is about standard for the service it supports, and you can't blame EA for the class action thing, blame the US Supreme Court for that particular piece of filth.

Origin is about a hundred times better than Steam was at launch though, at least Origin works.

EDIT: Just checked the AU site. A couple paltry %50 off franchise deals, nothing to get excited about if you own any of the games in said franchise. I don't know that you can even gift excess purchases on Origin.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
"40% off on datamining your pc while you play our content while we let you"

ofcourse Origin works, all malware works very good!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
While these are some nice discounts, I'm saving what little money I can for the holiday sales. I'd imagine come Dec 26th I'll be able to do better than 40 percent off.

Toby Kitching

Oct 24, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
I so get the feeling you work for EA in some capacity. As people have already said, EA are not a company I want to trust... ever.
haha, I can see why you'd think that.. I don't, incidentally. No affiliation, except that i'm something of a consistent customer.

Perhaps it's short-lived nostalgia. I've only really 'done' gaming for less than a decade, really, but BF2 was my first shooter, Crysis is one of my favourite games ever, Burnout Paradise is a game i continually return to, etc, etc. Plus whenever people talk about how asshole-ish EA is I have trouble relating, as they've never screwed me over personally. On the other hand, steam gave me quite a few problems when I set it up initially, and I've always thought valve games were horrendously overrated.

So yeah, I'm cool with trusting EA. I've got no reason not to, and I can't help but think that all the anti-EA sentiment floating around is just the done thing: the standard anti-establishment corporate hatred that i've come to know on every forum ever.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
In better news GOG has a good sale on too. And in this case you can't get banned from playing your games. Happy shopping!

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
robert01 said:
In better news GOG has a good sale on too. And in this case you can't get banned from playing your games. Happy shopping!
Gah, I've been ninja'd.

But yeah, lots of titles are selling for $3 on GoG right now. What's more, they're also giving away Empire Earth: Gold Edition for free, no strings attached.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/get_empire_earth_gold_edition_free

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
So EA is holding a carrot in the one hand and a ban stick in the other. I'm not going on an all out boycott of EA games, but I'm considering their track record, I'm being a lot more picky with EA(and Activision) games than I might be otherwise.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Oh, I do like cheap games. Unfortunately I hate spyware more so, even if they were free I would not get anything from Origin.

The solution is simple, just make the passing of the what hardware and software I have on my PC to EA, as optional as it is with Steam and you can have my business. That and be a bit less crazy with the ban stick. See easy fix.

Feb 13, 2008
Toby Kitching said:
and I can't help but think that all the anti-EA sentiment floating around is just the done thing: the standard anti-establishment corporate hatred that i've come to know on every forum ever.
Every forum ever...

You don't think that perhaps if every forum ever doesn't like them, there could be the occasional reason?

Like the Spyware clause? Like the butchering of much-loved franchises? Like the appallingly adolescent ad campaigns? Like the constant slap fights with Actimelvision? Like annual retreads?

I mean, if you're looking for reasons, there's a few...

Labelling something as the "done thing" purely for it being widespread is as dangerous as jumping on a bandwagon.

How about you look back into the history of EA and see if your love for their games overides your disgust at some of the things they do? Rather than just handwave the hatred away as some fad.

Here's a thing: Try typing "Why electronic arts" into Google, and see what it gives you for answers:

Hey, even Kotick hates them: http://www.shacknews.com/article/65755/activision-boss-bobby-kotick-blasts

Wait....is that a good or a bad thing?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Toby Kitching said:
The "It's a spyware machine" excuse isn't true. People just use it because it seems smarter than the real reason... EA are a bunch of people who make money by releasing similar games every year, and using ridiculously bad ad campaigns.
Actually the sypware thing seems pretty true to me. Is it software that takes information from your PC, like the software and hardware you have, without your permission? What is the term for software that takes information from your PC without your permission? Oh yeah, spyware....

Keava said:
iLikeHippos said:
Couldn't Origin block you out of your legally purchased games at their slightest whim, or when they are moody,
or when the moon is at its very zenith?
So can any DD. Steam included. It's in every digital service ToS. In theory a publisher has right to lock You out of hard-copy as well, just not real means to do so. All the games You ever bought in Your life - it's just limited licence to use the software, and the licence can be terminated.

Oh well. It's Steam fanbois problem if They don't want to take advantage of discounts. Not mine.
True, but when did you last hear about other services banning people from playing their games for stupid reasons. My distrust of Origin is not due to a any bad feeling to EA, who's game I have brought for about 20 years. I don't trust the setup due to the evidence right in front of my eyes.