EA: Some Gamers Just Don't Like Change

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
*eye twitch*

Excuse me, I have to go add Peter Moore and John Riccitello's faces to my avatar.

Mar 20, 2010
I'm not very huge on the gaming journalism lately. Just don't really follow it anymore, only visit this site so that might be why but, is it me or EA just talks entirely too fucking much lately? Just shut up for a month will you.

I guess EA being the best worst company at the moment means lots of coverage. Maybe that's why.

I think I answered my question. I'll just post this and be on my way.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
So essentially they just want more money. The initial sale of a game isn't enough for them, so they (not us) decided to make it an on going experience.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
I'm sure he's got a point, most gamers probably don't like change. In fact, most people don't really like change when it comes to anything, games or otherwise.

That explains a certain amount of criticism that EA and other companies may have received. I really don't think they can use that excuse to write off all criticism of what they do though.

For example, the biggest uproar about Mass Effect 3 *kicks self for mentioning the war* was over the ending and that's wasn't a change issue.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I swear to god EA is the worst company in the world and when people tell them that they just respond, "Nah man you're just delusional. it's you that has the problem! PSSSH you're such a wannabe" or to put it another way.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
We're only "online and connected" because douche-bag companies force us to. I want the offline gaming experience back.

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Foolproof said:
Irridium said:
Grey Carter said:
"I think people are worried gaming is going in a different direction than they were used to with N64, Sega Mega Drive, PlayStation and PlayStation 2," he said. "Everything was dominated by consoles. Pretty much everything was offline. You bought the game. You sat down. And you played the game until you got tired of the game. It was all on the disc."
This is not a bad thing. I doubt he meant it as a bad thing, but I really want to just state that in the old days when you bought your game and owned everything on the disk is not a bad thing. There were plenty of bad things about games of old, but this was definitely not one of them. I miss the days where we weren't charged money for DLC that's on the damn disk. Though to be fair, it doesn't happen in much games. Still, it's a dick move.
Yeah, the difference was we never got the DLC in the first place.

Give me one good reason that having extra gameplay available for purchase is somehow worse than not being able to get that gameplay under any circumstances.

No, don't go into your fantasy about how if DLC wasn't a thing, developers would have totally included the content just for kicks, stick with reality.
In the old days, game companies made EXPANSIONS. What essentially is a couple years' worth of today's DLCs.

CAPTCHA: rain go away
Would've been better with EA, but oh well, small victory.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Foolproof said:

Give me one good reason that having extra gameplay available for purchase is somehow worse than not being able to get that gameplay under any circumstances.

No, don't go into your fantasy about how if DLC wasn't a thing, developers would have totally included the content just for kicks, stick with reality.
Except we did, they were called expansion packs. It was a good time, when we got more than cheat codes or skin packs for our money. I even hear tales of when map packs were not called map packs, they were just new maps, and they were free.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Ha.

I cant wait to see TOR, DA3, and ME3's DLC tank.
People dont like being ripped off, insulted, and treated like second class citizens.

If I wanted to be treated like that I would get married.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Okay, who the flying fuck is letting the EA PR team to spout such controversial topics? Or are EA just a bunch of twatty hipster wannabe attention whores?!

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
EA: "ya we suck but what are you going to do about it"
we start to talk but get cut off by EA
EA: "we're not listening, we're not listening, la la la la la"

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
heck, why don't we come up with more excuses for EA? the longer they spend not dealing with the actual issue, the more likely they are to screw up and go away

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Foolproof said:
Fr said:
anc[is]
Foolproof said:

Except we did, they were called expansion packs. It was a good time, when we got more than cheat codes or skin packs for our money. I even hear tales of when map packs were not called map packs, they were just new maps, and they were free.
I don 't recall GTA III, Fallout 2, Spider-Man or KOTOR ever offering expansion packs. Meanwhile the series that actually did offer DLC? Starcraft, The Sims, those gmaes? What a fucking coincidence, they have expansion packs that are still $40 a pop, same as they've always been.

Swing and a miss.

Got anything else?
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights, World of Warcraft, Warcraft...

Expansion packs done right really improve a game in ways the player did not expect.

'Expansion Packs' for the Sims, is just another stall in the IKEA/Sims shopping centre.

While I understand that people don't like Day 1 DLC, the sheer vile reaction is a bit of a surprise.

Is it compulsory? No. Can it improve the game? Sometimes.

But in regards to the OP, I have to wonder why people still care what EA says?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Foolproof said:

i don't consider the "we wouldn't have this if it wasn't dlc" to be a valid argument as i have not seen evidence that such a thing is or isn't possible without the presence when compared to the actual game's value, unless the game has so little content to begin with (coughsaintsrow3)

it's equally as plausible as the company looking at certain features, deeming them "nonessential to the core gameplay", and then pulling them aside for repackaging at 1/6th to 1/4th of the game's price, while less than a comparable 5% of the game's content

and i can't believe what they say publicly at face value

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Foolproof said:
Fr said:
anc[is]
Foolproof said:

I don 't recall GTA III, Fallout 2, Spider-Man or KOTOR ever offering expansion packs. Meanwhile the series that actually did offer DLC? Starcraft, The Sims, those gmaes? What a fucking coincidence, they have expansion packs that are still $40 a pop, same as they've always been.

Swing and a miss.

Got anything else?
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Warcraft 3, Morrowind, Thief... There's lots of old games that had expansions, I'm sure there's more but I cant think of them right now... Tired.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Foolproof said:
Yo, forget all that noise. When people want more from your franchise, YOU MAKE SEQUELS. That's what happens when the material's popular enough. You make new games, and that's how it should be. Forget all of your prepared nit-pickery. The name of the game is finish the product (and I mean finish it) and get it out.

Now, I'm the umpire and I say that foul ball was caught. You're out. Any more trouble and you're benched.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
How about we talk about how all of the people who were early adopters of Battlefield 3 have to pay $50 for Battlefield Premium so we can get all of the expansions to your wonderful game while you're selling Premium and BF3 for $70. How can we ever be comfortable with change with Publishers jackknifing all over the place?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
it's funny cuz when I saw the article title I immediately though "no, gamers just don't like YOU"

but then after reading the article I'm convinced that...oh no nvm