EA Thinks Cross-Platform Is The Future

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
I think this is a good idea. Heck, I'd like more PC to Xbox play, myself.
Except PC isn't mentioned specifically. PC has never been in people's minds when thinking of social networks or mobile devices. I wouldn't get your hopes up of playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer from your office to your buddy's XBox anytime soon.
Addendum:
Bear in mind Microsoft has yet to reverse its position on cross-platform play between the PC and Xbox. It doesn't matter what EA wants to do. In the end, Microsoft controls how the games are played on the Xbox. It's a stupid position where they think mouse and keyboard outclasses controllers. I have a feeling any hardcore gamer on the Xbox will give me a run for my money.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
TheBelgianGuy said:
Wait... They're wasting 250 million on social networking?

No wonder they want Dead Space 3 to sell 5 million units, they probably already spent the money they believe they'd make.
Ninja's. Damn.

No, seriously, that's something along the lines of what I was thinking. "$250 million? Gee, guess that explains why they have such unreasonable expectations for Dead Space 3 and are threatening to axe the entire thing if it doesn't live up!"

Another thing for me to add to the list of "Why EA is such a terrible business."

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
This is actually a great idea. I hope EA can implement it, with other companies following suit.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"As to the problem itself, we didn't start the fire. Those matches, oil can, and old newspapers are ours, but the mess that happened was an unfortunate, isolated incident in which we had no direct involvement whatsoever.

Hold on, lemme grab my golden parachute. Last time, we forgot to pack that on the private jet, and we couldn't go skydiving that day.

Well, see you on the way down. Try to aim for the pile of independent studio corpses."

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
EA has said plenty of things in the past that sounded like good ideas. Whether they made them into bad decisions or just plumb forgot about the rest, one thing is for certain, EA has done very little good after speaking to the public.

I'll keep my eyes on this, but I'm sceptical... and that's an understatement.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Based on all the people that seem to hate EA for giving players the opportunity to buy their way through a game, I have to say, I'm glad I wasn't born with that part of the brain that apparently makes people feel so compelled to needlessly spend money in order to obtain the best ranking on something that becomes meaningless when popularity selects a new game.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
lets look at it this way. now two companies are working.. or in EAs case thinking about cross platforming.

CCP: great customer service. loyal fanbase. been working on it for years. Dust to be released this year and kick it all off.

EA: used to be good. now they are not. fans loyal to the game franchises and not the company. Screws you over. And barely even thinking about cross platforming. and will still manage to mess it up somehow.

yeah.. CCP ftw.. :D

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
TheBelgianGuy said:
Wait... They're wasting 250 million on social networking?

No wonder they want Dead Space 3 to sell 5 million units, they probably already spent the money they believe they'd make.
Ninja's. Damn.
Damn. Double ninja'd.

Dexter111 said:
I just want to buy and play a fucking game and not being annoyed by all this extraneous crap ot having them try to "integrate" it into every aspect of everyones life..., apparently that's too much to ask for nowadays.
I forsee a future that will have us pay extra for just a game without all the extra bullshit and piracy will be at an all time high.

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
Aside from all the other bullshit, cross-system platforming is a great idea and one to be thought over by most gaming companies. No computers though, too many hacks.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Inb4 EA hate

Anywho, the only thing I'd really use this for is to screw with my BF3 load out over my iPhone so I can experiment next time I play.

Or my Mass Effect 3 classes.....
Indeed, I have been wondering why this isn't available even over the Battlelog. It is something I would use, and not just for BF3.

I did think they were going to let PC, XBOX, and PS3 players compete in FIFA from the headline. That is a pretty even playing field, literally, I don't know anyone who plays FIFA on PC without a controller.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Mumorpuger said:
I think this is a good idea. Heck, I'd like more PC to Xbox play, myself.
Except PC isn't mentioned specifically. PC has never been in people's minds when thinking of social networks or mobile devices. I wouldn't get your hopes up of playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer from your office to your buddy's XBox anytime soon.
Addendum:
Bear in mind Microsoft has yet to reverse its position on cross-platform play between the PC and Xbox. It doesn't matter what EA wants to do. In the end, Microsoft controls how the games are played on the Xbox. It's a stupid position where they think mouse and keyboard outclasses controllers. I have a feeling any hardcore gamer on the Xbox will give me a run for my money.
I appreciate that viewpoint. I have held my own using a controller vs. keyboard and mouse. Yes, aiming is a bit more challenging but I find the controller much more ergonomic for endurance gaming.

In the end, I just think that if you wanted to use a keyboard and mouse on Xbox, you should be allowed to. The original justification of not allowing it was to not have it looked at as a PC. I think its a bit late for that now.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Worgen said:
This just in, ea says something that was being said 10 years ago, new record for speed from ea.

Edit: guess I should have read the story before commenting on the title, sounded like they were saying games should be on more than one platform. He isn't wrong but its not something microsoft will allow.... actually considering you might be able to play xbox games on pc with windows 8 they might be planning for that, although I see them doing it as stupid as they do anything with pc gaming.
Actually your still right ... gamers have been saying this for about 10 years. EA finally woke up. The technology has been capable of it for a long, long, LONG time.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
ZeZZZZevy said:
general dislike for micro-transactions aside, this is a great concept. Sure it looks all very gimicky but this kind of thing means that we don't have to have a bunch of separate lives when it comes to gaming.

It's also a fantastic time waster :p

Captcha: lunatic fridge
pffffffffffff---
I like Micro Transactions when they are actually micro.

When I see a chair for 10 bucks I'm like...the fuck?

Honestly...no.

What is this?! I'm scared and confused.

I can't recall the last game I've played where the smallest purchase item wasn't under 3 dollars :/.

I'm sure there are millions of them, but I'll be damned if anything interesting isn't costing me as much as a full game on steam :p.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
The_Emperor said:
EA derp Money Herpderp

that's all I heard
Why come into a thread and comment if that's all your're going to contribute? Not the least bit constructive and adds nothing at all in the way of conversation or opinion of substance.

I'd work on that if I were you.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
GREAT now all those hipsters on their iphones and spoiled 8 year olds on their 360s can bug me?

NAH!

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Gotta say EA, great idea. Cloud networking across systems is an awesome idea. Social networking... not so much. Micro-transactions... not so much. You know what, develop it for your games first, and people will come. Money right there.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
So they're just imitating what Valve started, but with a greedy corporate twist? Some things never change.

MiriaJiyuu

Forum Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
I think I'll give up on that 1% of hope I had left that EA would finally do something smart...

Seriously though, I already hate being bugged when playing a game, it's a game not Facebook, I want to play, not chat.

baconfist

Sep 8, 2009
Didn't Nintendo kinda try some stuff like this? Cross platforming with their own systems? Anyway it sounds like a bad idea to me, but hey I don't buy their products so I guess it doesn't matter.