EA to Release Medal of Honor Multiplayer Beta to Clear up Controversy

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
It's a shame that the politicians never saw CS, they might have gotten into an uproar over the whole terrorist thing and planting bombs and shooting targets and preventing the rescuing of hostages and...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Still Life said:
Scrythe said:
I'm not to familiar with regions outside my country, but I'm pretty sure Russia isn't fictional.
An ultra-nationalist political/military movement which plunges Russia into civil war? I wasn't referring to MW2.
Hey now. This is a Call of Duty game we're talking about. Since Nazi's in modern times has been overdone by the time Indiana Jones jumped on the bandwagon, they have to make the flavor-of-the-month enemy as Nazi-like as possible.

But a Russian's still a Russian's still a Russian.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Didn't they already release a Beta?
Or were those 4 hours just me accidentally taking drugs instead of playing it?

I_am_acting

Sep 11, 2010
i think EA should be more worried about this game being a rip off of MW2 and underusing the frostbite engine in multiplayer then this TBH

The Long Road

Sep 3, 2010
Games representing real conflicts with real factions, past, present, or near-future, have always had the problem of associations with real life. The typical defense for these games, namely "it's only a game", is exactly what opponents take issue with - the simulated death of real people in a real situation for entertainment purposes. To put it in perspective, imagine a game where the main objective is to firebomb a building with your family and friends inside and watch them die. As jaded as some Escapists may be towards other humans, this will still be fairly nerve-racking.

However, switch the names and faces to generic characters, and for some reason it becomes more tolerable. A common argument so far in this thread has been "Why is it more tolerable if the terrorists are from Fakeistan?" The answer lies in an odd part of the human psyche. Tell people to go into battle for... nobody in particular, despite the parallels to modern war, and go shoot at... militants shouting in Arabic, but not necessarily aligned with a major terrorist group... See where this is going? For some reason, the human mind can strip the half-assed labels and see two sides with guns shooting at each other. Label one 75th Ranger Regiment, Alpha Company, 1st Platoon, 2nd Squad, and tell them to shoot at the Taliban cell probably based out of the region around Kandahar, and suddenly you find yourself with clear-cut allegiances that many people have innate trouble violating.

TL;DR: The labeling of real factions does actually matter, and that's the source of the controversy.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Still Life said:
JWAN said:
dathwampeer said:
The Taliban are no more evil than any one else.

They're just a group of people fighting for what they think is a just cause. There should be no controversy here.
Yea, like the Nazis.
Have the Taliban systematically murdered millions of people in concentration camps?
Not yet, but they sure would if they had the chance.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
JWAN said:
Still Life said:
JWAN said:
dathwampeer said:

They're just a group of people fighting for what they think is a just cause. There should be no controversy here.
Yea, like the Nazis.
Have the Taliban systematically murdered millions of people in concentration camps?
Supposition.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
dathwampeer said:
JWAN said:
dathwampeer said:

Yea, like the Nazis.
Actually the majority of the people remembered as Nazi's were just your average German soldier. No different from the allied soldiers. It's not like most of them had a choice in the matter.

It's very easy for us to paint people with a one colour wash. All black and white.

Unfortunately life is seldom so cut and dry.
Mein Kampf came out in 1925 and I dont know how much more clear and obvious the evil of Hitler could get. I had family on both sides of WWII. The Taliban are dedicated to destroying the "western" world and every body in it, I should probably have used WWII Japan as an example.
anyway, as far as the game is concerned, its a videogame. Who cares? me and my veteran buddies all have this game reserved when newegg had that $10 free shipping offer last month. This has nothing to do with "respecting the troops" while it has everything to do with censorship and weak, cowardly politicians.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Still Life said:
JWAN said:
Still Life said:
JWAN said:
dathwampeer said:

Yea, like the Nazis.
Supposition.
What the fuck are you talking about?
They have stated how much they want to destroy the west and liquidate the population.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
JWAN said:
dathwampeer said:
JWAN said:
dathwampeer said:

Yea, like the Nazis.
Actually the majority of the people remembered as Nazi's were just your average German soldier. No different from the allied soldiers. It's not like most of them had a choice in the matter.

It's very easy for us to paint people with a one colour wash. All black and white.

Mein Kampf came out in 1925 and I dont know how much more clear and obvious the evil of Hitler could get. I had family on both sides of WWII. The Taliban are dedicated to destroying the "western" world and every body in it, I should probably have used WWII Japan as an example.
anyway, as far as the game is concerned, its a videogame. Who cares? me and my veteran buddies all have this game reserved when newegg had that $10 free shipping offer last month. This has nothing to do with "respecting the troops" while it has everything to do with censorship and weak, cowardly politicians.
you do know that when they invaded poland first quite a few young men were conscripted into the Nazi forces....Does this mean they were evil?
As for that no actually Mein Kampf did not show the true murderous intent of hitler, Infact a lot of ideas in Mein Kampf aside from the hate of jews and doing things to jews actually made common sense, Its when you look at the talk of jews and other such things that every thing else good is completely discounted for no reason.

Not every one in the Nazi forces was evil, the same can be said of the taliban. As for that the evil of the enemy is written by the victors always.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
JWAN said:
Still Life said:
They have stated how much they want to destroy the west and liquidate the population.
No the leaders have stated as much, the majority of reason and common flag they are under is getting the west out of the middle east, out of their land, their politics and often off their holy sites.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
DanielO said:
Yeah, where's the outrage at being able to shoot Germans, Russians, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Colombian rebels, Dutch, French, Spanish, Austrian, Russians, Russians, Russians, Nazi's, Nazi's, more Nazi's and now finally to add to that list is the Taliban. Does anyone notice the autistic hypocrisy with which a high British politician is calling it Un-British? What about the movie ''BRaveheart'' by Mel Gibson, is that one un-British? And the war on Independence, is that un-British?
But you don't know how picky our goverment is...

OT: Maybe an Xbox version? + That should shut up the people saying it disrespectful to the soldiers in Afghanistan..

Nukeforyou

Mar 26, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
*Super snip*

Not every one in the Nazi forces was evil, the same can be said of the taliban. As for that the evil of the enemy is written by the victors always.
Ah yes, history is written by the victors.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
WilliamRLBaker said:
JWAN said:
Still Life said:
No the leaders have stated as much, the majority of reason and common flag they are under is getting the west out of the middle east, out of their land, their politics and often off their holy sites.
Ill have whatever your drinking.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
WilliamRLBaker said:
JWAN said:
dathwampeer said:
JWAN said:
dathwampeer said:

Yea, like the Nazis.

you do know that when they invaded poland first quite a few young men were conscripted into the Nazi forces....Does this mean they were evil?
As for that no actually Mein Kampf did not show the true murderous intent of hitler, Infact a lot of ideas in Mein Kampf aside from the hate of jews and doing things to jews actually made common sense, Its when you look at the talk of jews and other such things that every thing else good is completely discounted for no reason.

I wasn't talking about the conscripts from Poland, and you know that. The Taliban is and has been an organization built on fear and abuse, especially of women and non Muslims, they want us out of the middle east so they can go back to beating women and using them as tools, all you need to do is sign some papers and go over to take a look for yourself but you wont because its MUCH easier to go off of hearsay and pander to other liberal elitist scumbags who all of a sudden think that the Taliban are freedom fighters. The freedom they fight for is freedom of other radical Muslims and the enslavement/liquidation of anyone who thinks differently from them. Sound familiar? The Nazis tried it, the communists tried it, and now the Muslim terrorists are giving it a go.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
JWAN said:
Still Life said:
JWAN said:
Still Life said:
JWAN said:
dathwampeer said:

Yea, like the Nazis.
Supposition.
Last I checked, it was Al Qaeda who were making such grandiose statements, not the Taliban. However, if that were the case, then my point is:

The Taliban are yet to carry such an agenda. Unlike the NAZIS, who carried out their genocidal agenda. Your original post compared the Taliban to the NAZI party on an equal footing.

They are not.

You're obtusely comparing a Third World, Islamic splinter group, to an industrial and ideological superpower which had a drastic impact on the geopolitical climate in Western Europe both prior to, and during WW II. I'm not sure if you realize that the war in Afghanistan is being fought between various other militant groups -- not just the Taliban -- and is far more complex than your 'black and white' dichotomy would suggest. You should also reconsider how you apply the term 'evil'.

Supposition.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I tried the earlier MP Beta and I had bigger issues with the game itself(and my general suckiness at combat shooters) than anything like what side I was playing on. I might give it another go if just to see if they fixed some of the issues I had.