EA Tweaking Mass Effect 3 to Appeal to Wider Market

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

According to EA's top man, the publisher is a huge believer in the Mass Effect franchise.

It came to light yesterday that Mass Effect 3 would not be coming out at the end of this year as was originally planned, and had slipped into early 2012 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109771-Reapers-Delay-Mass-Effect-3-Until-2012]. It seems now that part of that delay is down to EA and BioWare making changes to the game in order to get more people to buy it.

Speaking during a conference call for investors, EA CEO John Riccitiello said that BioWare was taking apart various elements of the Mass Effect experience and adjusting them to give the game a more broad market appeal. This effort, he said, would put the game in a genre that was "equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG." He said that EA was a huge believer in the IP, and wanted as many people to play Mass Effect 3 as possible.

This news has not gone down well in some quarters, with some already accusing EA of "dumbing down" the game, before it even comes out. The assumption seems to be that BioWare would focus on the shooter gameplay, and let the RPG elements fall by the wayside. It's important to remember, however, that this was a comment intended for investors, not gamers, so is undoubtedly lacking in context and detail.

BioWare's Casey Hudson may have previously stated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109207-BioWare-Mass-Effect-3-Combat-Perfected] that the combat in Mass Effect 3 would be the best in the series, but that doesn't automatically mean that it will come at the expense of the RPG side. With more than seven months to go before the game comes out, it's probably best to wait until we've seen something more than screenshots before we start making assumptions about the game.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-04-mass-effect-3-tweaked-for-larger-market]

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
Anytime someone working on the game says "shooter-meets-RPG", read it as: 'a shooter with dialog options'.

As if Mass Effect 2 wasn't dumbed down and turned into a first person shooter enough.

MustardTiger

Mar 31, 2010
I'm all for change, really, but I seriously hope that it doesn't mean they're trying to Call of Duty-ize the game to get others to buy it.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Can anybody give me an example of when "tweaking to appeal to a wider market" did not mean "dumbing down"?

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
BioWare's Casey Hudson may have previously stated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109207-BioWare-Mass-Effect-3-Combat-Perfected] that the combat in Mass Effect 3 would be the best in the series, but that doesn't automatically mean that it will come at the expense of the RPG side.
Now you see, this is getting harder and harder to believe.

dropZero

Feb 10, 2011
Mass Effect 1 was a great game, but a lot of the RPG elements were just massively tedious. Mass Effect 2 is such a better game because most of the tediousness was stripped out. I can't even play ME 1 anymore because it frustrates me so much in comparison to ME 2. So I'll reserve my judgement until I see ME 3 in action.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I can't help but be a little worried about this. I hope marketing won't come at the expense of the overall quality of the game, but you never can really tell.

I suppose Deus Ex was a shooter to, in a way.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
MustardTiger said:
I'm all for change, really, but I seriously hope that it doesn't mean they're trying to Call of Duty-ize the game to get others to buy it.
Yeah, I mean, it's not like they've said it or anything [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5141/bioware-we-want-call-of-dutys-audience]

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I remember Casey Hudson specifically stating that ME3 was going to try and add some of the expansive feeling you got from ME1 without necessarily bringing back stuff like the inventory mess that was there.

Not that that won't stop the naysayers obviously. Heck, if even Portal 2 gets its day-one DLC detractors, why the heck shouldn't this game? *sigh*

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Maybe I'm biased, because I love RPGs and FPSs, but I thought the combat in Mass Effect 2 was much better than that in Mass Effect 1.

The 'RPG' in the Mass Effect series has always been more about the role-playing and character development/interaction than it has been about statistics and randomly generated gear. As far as I'm concerned, that tedious crap can take a hike.

I flinch at the words 'broad market appeal', but in reality, this probably just means the shooting in the game will be more satisfying.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
I hope that it's like a mutant love-child of ME1 and ME2. ME2 was pretty good, despite the changes. As long as Bioware still has control and EA doesn't take it too far, the chances look good (to me, at least)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
So EA are trying something new things with ME3? I can see this ending up like Dragon Age 2...

But i welcome change, it's good to see developers trying new stuff in there games, lets just hope this isn't a bad thing...

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Well shEAt.

I just hope there'll be enough game left after it is dumbed down in hopes to draw in the COD crowd to remain appealing to the existing fanbase.

Newsflash EA/Bioware: you do not experiment with the last part of a trilogy. There is already a public for it so all you need to do is iron out the wrinkles. It is to me very unlikely that there will be so many people interested in starting with ME3 to make it worth the risk of driving away the existing ME1/ME2 fans (again, since this already happened with the changes between ME1 and ME2 to an extent).

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
This news has not gone down well in some quarters, with some already accusing EA of "dumbing down" the game, before it even comes out. The assumption seems to be that BioWare would focus on the shooter gameplay, and let the RPG elements fall by the wayside. It's important to remember, however, that this was a comment intended for investors, not gamers, so is undoubtedly lacking in context and detail.

They did it with ME2. What possible reason do we have to believe they aren't doing it again?

There is no such thing as an instance of "broadening appeal" that doesn't mean dumbing down. Its that simple. Mass Effect 3 is dumbed down. Just say it EA. Sigh. ME1 was perfect. That is why it got so popular. Stop changing things that aren't broken.

EA, Do not repeat Command and Conquer 4. Don't do it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I thought Mass Effect 2 was already pretty popular. Must have been my mistake.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Seems to me that they are only dumbing the game down for the stockholders. As in, dumbing down the explanation of what Mass Effect 3 will actually be. Stockholders are hardly ever gamers and only invest money in it because of profits, kinda like explaining the internet to your grandparents.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Personally, I think Mass Effect 2 worked a lot better than Mass Effect. But it wasn't exactly a complex game, so this is a little bizarre.

Vaccine said:
Anytime EA or Activision get their grubby little jew hands on it,
You should probably come and join the rest of us in the 21st Century. Its nice.