Earlier Access

Mar 30, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Neronium said:
Why would you trade the valuable cow!?
Shanicus said:
Cow too good to trade for that.
I could be wrong but I think it's a cash-cow.
TopazFusion said:
Well, fine. I'll just go buy this udder game instead.
Grouchy Imp said:
Careful, we're milking it now.
xD I assume puns shall be made until the cows come home.

Personally, I think she should have kept the cow, and paid with a cowpie.
Equal exchange. ;p
To be honest some of these jokes are so old they need to be put out to pasture.

TopazFusion said:
Grouchy Imp said:
TopazFusion said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I hope you didn't ruminate over that pun for too long.
Don't worry, I can easily calf my way through these puns.
That's the kine of thing I like to hear!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Needs better tagging. You can't have an entire thread of cow puns and not a single "until the cows come home" tag.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
TopazFusion said:
Grouchy Imp said:
TopazFusion said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I've herd of worse jokes to make in a thread like this.

At least the developers will be milking something other than the customers.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Best case scenario, she just paid him £40 ($60) Wost case, over £1000. http://www.dairyco.org.uk/market-information/farm-expenses/cow-heifer-prices/gb-cow-heifer-prices/#.U856rPldWSo

Yes, I am that much of a pedant. Sue me.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
can you guys stop the moo-aning about early access?

on a more serious note, i wonder if the comic is referencing unteruned, the inexplicably popular dayz-like early access game on steam

atleast the game is free so it doesnt hurt to try it out

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Oh god, I have to try this at my local shop. I walk in carrying odd things with me all the time (a TV, a chair, a fridge, etc). Should be good.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Malbourne said:
TopazFusion said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I've herd of worse jokes to make in a thread like this.
I dairy anyone to come up with something better!
You guys are so cheesy.
But be sure to give yourselves a pat on the back.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I heard something that I didn't think I would hear this year: an early access survival game... WITHOUT ZOMBIES!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
scorptatious said:
Well now you can't get any magic beans. :(
Early access games are pretty much like magic beans: sold with the promise that they will become something awesome.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Granted, I don't know much about farming; but a cow seems like an awful lot to give for yet another Early Access game. A bottle of farm-fresh milk is the most I'd give for it.

screwtapethedemon

Jul 22, 2014
According to Caroline Humphrey, there is actually no anthropological or ethnographical evidence has ever shown that a pure barter economy has ever existed. Throughout history only credit and monetary systems have ever been seen. I think it is clear to most of us how our own market economies use money as a medium of exchange, but in societies (both historical and present) without money no apparent bartering occurs. Instead, most exchange happen between neighbors who trust one another to pay back their debts in due time. Because there is little travel of people from village to village and small populations where everyone knows one another, it is easy to keep track of who owes whom and how much. Even over a long period of times, a person leverages their own reputation as collateral on a debt.

For example, I would ask the local diary farmer for a gallon of milk, and he would give it to me, trusting that someday I might give something of equal value later down the road. If I do not give him anything, or I short change him with a single egg, word will get around the village that I'm a cheap moocher and no one will give me what I need because I am untrustworthy. But if I do pay him with something he might need, say a large bundle of firewood, then word will get around that I am an honorable and helpful neighbor, and more people will be willing to help me out.

In short, a barter system is not the historical precedent of the modern market economy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CaitSeith said:
scorptatious said:
Well now you can't get any magic beans. :(
Early access games are pretty much like magic beans: sold with the promise that they will become something awesome.
Which is why that is what we should pay: "These beans will totally grow into magic beanstalks. Our promise is ever bit as good as yours."

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I think I enjoyed the cowpuns more than the comic. =D

screwtapethedemon said:
...in societies (both historical and present) without money ... it is easy to keep track of who owes whom and how much.
Mmm. How do they measure how much with neither a monetary standard nor a system of barter?

screwtapethedemon said:
For example, I would ask the local diary farmer for a gallon of milk, and he would give it to me, trusting that someday I might give something of equal value later down the road.
What you just described is barter - it's barter on credit, but it's still barter. Any time you treat sets of goods or services as having comparable values without an underlying monetary standard, that's barter - by definition.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
This is why I tend to steer clear of bull like this. The crap devs can get away with now is udderly ridiculous. (That's three cow puns in one comment. Go home everyone.)

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'm guessing that's supposed to be a convention of some sort, but do they actually try to physically sell early access at these things? Because that's the first I've heard of it.

But seriously though, the bashing the gaming community gives early access just makes me cringe. Like I saw this comic the other day:

Equating Early Access to big publishers making DLC and Pay-to-win. Guys I don't think Early Access is making bucket loads of money. Apart from the early success stories like Minecraft or DayZ I don't think it's making much money at all.

Quick question, on Steam it will show you how many users are currently playing a game, is that something the developers can turn off? I have two 'Early Access' game on my account, Starbound and Gnomoria, and they read 2583 and 300 ingame players respectively. Two more popular games, Day Z and Kerbal Space Program, list 18,165 and 5664 respectively. But going through the Early Access store page on Steam with a list of games that nobody has ever heard of, either the developers turned this feature off (which says something) or nobody is playing these games because going through a dozen of them I couldn't find a single active player.

At this point, Early Access is best seen in my opinion as an extension of a successful kickstarter campaign. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's not the next big thing big greedy publishers are going to use to rape your wallets. So I really don't see what's the point in all this complaining about it.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
on a more serious note, i wonder if the comic is referencing unteruned, the inexplicably popular dayz-like early access game on steam
There are at least a dozen. Not sure how many are early access, but you can't swing an undead cat without hitting a zombie survival game on Steam. It's a goddamn plague.

screwtapethedemon

Jul 22, 2014
Pyrian said:
screwtapethedemon said:
...in societies (both historical and present) without money ... it is easy to keep track of who owes whom and how much.
Mmm. How do they measure how much with neither a monetary standard nor a system of barter?

screwtapethedemon said:
For example, I would ask the local diary farmer for a gallon of milk, and he would give it to me, trusting that someday I might give something of equal value later down the road.
What you just described is barter - it's barter on credit, but it's still barter. Any time you treat sets of goods or services as having comparable values without an underlying monetary standard, that's barter - by definition.
Bartering implies negotiation. Rather the payment is often voluntary and subjective. It is entirely possible to obtain everything you need to live without ever paying back those you owe. Similarly, you can give and give without anyone giving back to you. It is not the value of the goods or services that are being weighed against one another. It is trust and reputation that is being measured and manipulated.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I see Grey and Cory have some beef with game debs who do the "early access" trot.
Under_your_bed said:
Oh good. An entire thread of cow puns. I hope you're happy, Grey and Cory. I hope you're god-damn happy.

Also, what's with the sign-off song? I don't get the joke.
I'd like to know to. Did you guys include it just because it's a song you like, or does it have something to do with paying for an unfinished product?