Earth like planet found. Your reactions?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Rocket Dog said:
And we shall call it....

Reach
Good god yes.

OT: hopefully we will find more of this, although its more than likely that the discovery of earthlike planets will cause an arms race for colonization and economic conquest.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Looks like we found our Reach!

(EDIT: seems like I've been ninja'd big time)

Pretty cool, even though it'll never affect any of us. Unless we make contact with the one advnaced alien species that doesn't want to murder us all.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Yeah, but I have heard this so many times, that it's not interesting anymore. However, I would like to go over there and establish a colony.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
To be honest, the coolest thing to me is, the planet it tidal locked with it's sun. So one side is perpetually sunlight and the other is perpetually in darkness. And the only habitable part is a narrow strip down the middle.

EPIC.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
chainer1216 said:
Chris Overhage said:
The religious implications are going to be fun to watch. Lets see what the Vatican does here.

the vatican already addressed the idea of life on other planets a few years ago, they basically said that "so what if theres life on another planet, god made them too."
eh, makes sense.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Interesting and yet kind of depressing to me.
I mean no one alive today will live to see it, unless some far more advanced life form comes to earth and we hitch a ride their Chances are that no one alive now will even get to see what the surface looks like from the view of a rover.

Also I don't really see any religious implication in this, if I am remembering correctly the bible never actual says anything about humans being the only intelligent entity's around, in fact quite the opposite that bible talks all the time about "other" beings I.E. Angels and Demons. So why not other life forms on other worlds?
I mean if I was God I wouldn't stop with just one pet project.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Two things:

1) Time to get some real estate while the market is still nonexistant there.
2) If there is intelligent life on it (not just a bunch of grazing animals which we will inevitably turn into sausages and steaks), we better bring something a bit fancier than beads this time around.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
LadyMint said:
Two things:

2) If there is intelligent life on it (not just a bunch of grazing animals which we will inevitably turn into sausages and steaks), we better bring something a bit fancier than beads this time around.

we'll be screwing the natives out of there land with iPod's this time.

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
Might as well be in a different universe/dimension, there is NO WAY EVER that humans will colonize another planet. This isn't star trek people, we lack the technology, money, and co-operation to organize something worthwhile on the planet we have. Humans SUCK!

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
ANImaniac89 said:
LadyMint said:
Two things:

we'll be screwing the natives out of there land with iPod's this time.
Or Standard Definition Televisions. We all know that they're not as good as HDTVs but if they haven't invented space travel yet, they certainly won't.

WittyName

Jan 3, 2009
dalek sec said:
Well then, time to go secure it in the name of the God Emperor. Who is with me!?
Claim it in the name of the Emperor!

OT: Well, this was interesting, I'll just wait to see how everyone else reacts.[/quote]

Stollos

Sep 6, 2010
This is pretty awesome, I must say. A couple of thoughts popped into my mind as I read the. And yes, I won't deny that Reach was one of them.

Does anyone else remember the tv show Silver Sun? I think it may have been Australian tv exclusive... it wasn't that great. It was pretty much a teen drama show, but in space. Anyway, the plot was they were the crew on a space ship carrying cryo-frozen settlers to a distant planet for colonisation, but the journey would take 90 years, and thats why they started the journey as teenagers. Hahaha, anyway, I was reminded of that when I read
It's about 120 trillion miles away, so it would take several generations for a spaceship to get there.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
If we really are the only "intelligent" life in the universe, then that shows the universe has one hell of a sense of humour. I doubt we are the only sapient beings kicking around.

As Monty Python stated in The Meaning of Life: "We're hoping there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"

Codeknight

Oct 20, 2008
Chris Overhage said:
The religious implications are going to be fun to watch. Lets see what the Vatican does here.
Actually the Vatican has already publicly stated that they agree that intelligent life has a good chance of existing elsewhere in the galaxy/universe/big black thing we are all floating in. You can google it if you want to see for yourself.

OT: unfortunately if/when we reach there, intelligent life or not, anyone who goes to the surface with anything less than a haz-mat suit will die a very unfortunate "War of The Worlds" style death. This, my friends, is the grim reality of interplanetary travel.

Jim-a-Lim

Jan 10, 2009
The Procrastinated End said:
Yay we have a backup planet now, suck on that hippies.
Haha dude that has made me chuckle muchly. Also yeah ummm great I guess, now lets invent lightspeed travel so we can get there ^^, during my life time please... chop chop!

Larmo

May 20, 2008
Chris Overhage said:
They want to convert the aliens before the Protestants get to them.