Earth: Year 2066 Removed From Steam For Dishonest Marketing

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Steam really needs to curate early access stuff. Greenlight (until they kill it off, which they're planning to) really only needs to be for stuff that will be sold as a 1.0

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
I suppose that can be called a win.

You would think valve with all their money could afford to have a system to better protect gamers from things like this. Obviously gamers need to be more careful when buying unfinished products but giving them the power to hide and silence the game players when the whole point of early access is to share ideas and thoughts for the sake of game development and not money scams seems to be a no brainer but something they rarely act on.

Sadly As Jim sterling points out the number of unplayable, unfinished games are on the rise on steam. They may not like the early access program but they have taken few steps to improve it and are probably just wishing that the program collapses under its own weight if left unsupervised long enough.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
MinionJoe said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
If i bought that game at walmart, and got it home and it was crap. I can take it back and get a refund. Same with eveything else they sell. Cant do that with Steam, havnt used it in a while so i dont know if they do refunds. But thats why they need better quality control as its a consumers rights to get refunded - atleast it is in the UK. That 2066 game would have had so many returns that it would have been removed from the shop shelves.
Geez, Vorheez Jr. I was drawing a false analogy in order to make ZenoSyFy think! :) And in that false analogy, you'd go to Muxwell (the farmer) for your refund, not Steam. Because Steam isn't responsible, after all... :p

Originally, I was going to use flammable toddler pajamas in my analogy, but I didn't think drawing a parallel between gamers and babies was such a good idea. ;)

But yes, retailers are responsible for the quality of the products they sell. They're the ones fronting the shelf/server space and maintain the infrastructure necessary for distribution. Any worthless product they sell actually cuts into their operating costs. And, like you said, bad products reflect just as badly on the distributor as it does the manufacturer.
Sorry, guess i didnt think through what you wrote, damn zombie parent preferred killing camp counselors than raising me right. lol. But with early access, the worst part is that people might not risk buying other titles for fear of being burned again. Even if there are really good quality titles available.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
XenoScifi said:
I do not think it should be Steam's responsibility to quality control products uploaded to Steam.
Well it is their responsibility to the point where the shit they sell can't be stolen or falsely advertised, those are quite literally against the law.
Digital distributors are just lucky no one is looking at them as serious stores so they go by unnoticed.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
While I normally don't think that Steam should function as quality control, I am glad to see them step in and deal with extreme cases such as games like this.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Woah! Finally some strings pulled byy steam itself?
About time fellas, but as they say: better late then never.

And nice touch with the refunds. Bet someone gets sued by a com,pany, that defenatly can pay for their lawyers.

Tyran107

Nov 14, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
If i bought that game at walmart, and got it home and it was crap. I can take it back and get a refund. Same with eveything else they sell. Cant do that with Steam, havnt used it in a while so i dont know if they do refunds. But thats why they need better quality control as its a consumers rights to get refunded - atleast it is in the UK. That 2066 game would have had so many returns that it would have been removed from the shop shelves.
Now I don't know how it works in the UK, but here in the states if you bought a game at walmart and thought it was crap after playing it you can't get a refund. It's already been opened so you can only trade it for a replacement copy. So in that sense walmart is like steam in that you normally aren't allowed refunds after trying the game and finding it shit.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
If only they were more honest and marketed it as the ass cancer simulator that it is, this wouldn't be a problem.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
I was very specific in my statement earlier. No, it IS NOT Steams responsibility for quality of titles. It should however be their responsibility to issue refunds to consumers. I have never been a fan of the "no return" policy Valve has had.

Working in retail I can say there are a multitude of bad quality items being shoveled out to consumers, but those retail do in fact issue refunds (with a valid receipt for certain items).

All in all, Steam DOES NOT need to quality control developers because that undermines what I believe they are trying to do with giving devs an open house to their projects. Steam DOES however need to start recognizing that WE as consumers do make mistake or get conned into a product we are displeased with and open up their return policy.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Lightknight said:
Steam has quality control when the market makes a big enough stink about it.
This!

If Jim Sterling hadn't made a video about this game Steam wouldn't have reacted. I'll bet Steam is just another project at Valve that no one wants to work on and so they pass the approval process onto consumers. Steam is filling up with shit and who knows what it will look like in a few years.

Steam needs to offer refunds within a specific time period or within a certain amount of time played. Even Origin offer refunds now.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Lightknight said:
Steam has quality control when the market makes a big enough stink about it.
This!

If Jim Sterling hadn't made a video about this game Steam wouldn't have reacted. I'll bet Steam is just another project at Valve that no one wants to work on and so they pass the approval process onto consumers. Steam is filling up with shit and who knows what it will look like in a few years.

Steam needs to offer refunds within a specific time period or within a certain amount of time played. Even Origin offer refunds now.
It's a bit more than them not wanting to work on the project. Especially when I'm pretty sure Steam makes them more money each year than anything they've ever done. It's more that they make a profit on every game sold. More games sold mean more cash in their pockets and $20 on a broken early access game feels the same as $20 on a fully functioning AAA game. In fact, it means they'll be done with that game even faster and ready to buy another sooner.

Profit, more often than not, is the most accurate motive to blame. A big enough stink may harm their name enough to lose them business and so they react. If they can ever be harmed enough to consider shitty titles a negative profit then they'd start policing it.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
kiri2tsubasa said:
XenoScifi said:
I do not think it should be Steam's responsibility to quality control products uploaded to Steam. Valve gives developers an easy place to showcase games (regardless of how good or bad they are) and allows those devs to continue to develop the way they want too. What Valves responsibility is however is just this case. A game that was obviously just a junk cash grab from somebody with no intention to ever develop his craft and become a better developer. IMO, Steams Greenlight and Early Access is working as intended and it really should be more our responsibility to not go willy nilly into a new game that's being featured. All just my opinion.
Physical store are required by law to control the quality of their products to the best of their abilities as well as to prevent scam/stolen material from getting on the shelves. With game stores they are to be place in the bargain bin at a significant reduced cost. These are things that steam needs to do if valve wants it to be a replacement for physical stores.
Any "As Seen On TV" item you buy is 100% complete rubbish. 9/10 they are cheap marketed junk they falsely advertise as a working product, but never really lives up to what you see on the commercial. Granted you can take that back to the store because that's retail. Online digital distribution of games is not the same thing, nowhere close. Also the last I checked you cannot take a game back to any retail and get your money back, so I guess I understand why Steam does not do it. IMO Anything "Early Access" NEEDS to be the exception to Steam return policy no matter how many warnings the developer puts out there.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Hopefully now devs will learn that they can't get away with more barely finished games giving them a quick buck, but then I'm probably just being too optimistic. It's a small victory compared to all the other monstrosities on Steam that need to go.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Sseth said:
The guy was trolling the entire time and even Jim Sterling took the bait, lol. Muxwell's already won.
Trolling =/= stealing people's money and giving them a broken product in return. You're thinking of scamming.