ECA Opposes Videogame Violence Research

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
Sounds like something that could backfire, rather let them keep doing their pointless research unhindered and find nothing than draw even more negative publicity for gamers by opposing it and dignifying it with a response. Not like they can prevent people from doing research anyway.

Ecliptica Wolf

Apr 20, 2011
Let them have their study. More than likely it will come through that there is nothing linking video games to violence. And if there is then who cares? Everyone will still play video games.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
'Bill S.134, the "Violent Content Research Act of 2013," will direct the National Academy of Sciences to conduct another study into the harmful effects of exposure to videogame violence on children'

This bit right here shows the biase the bill has since they've already decided it is harmful. In other words the only good thing this politician can do is throw himself into a woodchipper, that's not videogame violence talking, that is a healthy appreciation of politicians. Also there is the continued point of if a game has an 18 rating DON'T LET CHILDREN PLAY IT.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
cerebus23 said:
Good for them i support this, we have more than enough studies that utterly destroy the senators opinions on the matter, we do not need our tax dollars spent on 10s of millions more to study something that has been studied to death since moving pictures became a thing.
And if the side effect of opposing such studies is to look unreasonable at a point when we're already in a bad situation, so be it. I mean, what's the absolute worst that could happen? They manage loaded study and our reticence completely undermines any later criticism because we already look like we're pro child murder and children murdering?

...Actually, that does sound bad. Hmm.

CardinalPiggles said:
Never. I'd say we need 2 sides to every argument. Otherwise nothing changes.
Any side to an argument, particularly a scientific one, should have good faith and basis. I mean, as much as I think fighting this sort of political call is a quick way to vilify gamers and the industry to the public, it's not like there's a lack of study on this already. Do you want equal treatment of the notion of a flat earth, despite the fact that we've had evidence backing that up for thousands of years? Maybe we could do studies on left-handers and their relationship with the devil?

Why should "I believe this thing, without any evidence and in fact despite evidence to the contrary" be treated as equal to a scientific conclusion reached ostensibly apolitically?

Let's face it: sometimes you cannot muster up a second side to an argument. Not a decent one, anyway.

shirkbot said:
Independent studies nothing, even the Surgeon General of the United States has chimed in on a couple of occasions to say that it's a minor contributing factor at most. Are senators just ignoring the Surgeon General now?
Congress is like the gaming community. When they don't like what they hear, they claim that the people involved are TEH BIAS! whether it has merit or not. The Surgeon General is a position where many people have retired for controversial opinions...Which were backed up by scientific data or at least potentially so.

...The crux of the "study on video games" thing here is that, if it doesn't fit a certain narrative, half of Congress is going to cry foul. Politically, there's only one answer that will be accepted by the loudmouths who keep calling for this: not only do video games make you violent, but they put the gun i your hand and train you how to use it. The same is true of the Surgeon General or any other authority. That's why Congress (and many other demonstrators) will latch on to ANY study that says otherwise (no matter how poor the research methdology is), they THINK says otherwise (I've read the abstracts to a couple of studies cited which say there's no causal relationship but to which gaming critics claim supports that there is one because they need to learn how to read or something), etc.

FootloosePhoenix said:
Well if video games are, in fact, having a negative impact on developing young minds, we'd need a system in place that prevents minors from freely purchasing the more violent, "mature" games available. That would be an important first step, at least. Something like...I dunno, a ratings system, like films have, but specifically tailored to the medium? Hopefully I don't sound too crazy here; I'm just throwing ideas around.
But for that to happen, we'd need some sort of review board. No, an electronics software rating board. And it would have to be enforced somehow: perhaps stores refusing to stock titles beyond a certain rating. And then there's the question of efficacy: I mean, we are largely okay with a roughly 50% purchase rate of explicit music and 30-ish% success at purchase of R and unrated DVDs. Surely we're okay with similar numbers, rather than hypocritically demanding more compliance should this voluntary ratings system have a failure rate of a little over, say, ten percent.

Hero in a half shell said:
Of course there is content in videogames that can be inappropriate for younger children. We know this, the industry knows this, the government knows this, and it is the exact reason for the PEGI/ERSB age rating on every single videogame sold in our countries.
Can't speak for the PEGI system, but the ESRB system was adopted (it already existed) in this country not because od an admission of harmful nature, but out of fear that a ban would be more harmful to the industry's wallets. Even still, it is not law; it is a voluntarily-enforced program. There is no legal mandate for an ESRB rating; rather, the reason most games have them is that most stores will not stock AO or unrated games. And of the games they do stock, they aren't selling to minors: The FTC has done undercover shoppers for years regarding violent media, and the results are clear:

2011 and 2012 were 13% success for the undercover shoppers. Contrast this with the next best numbers being nearly TWICE that and explicit music being almost four times that number. Obviously, kids still get their hands on these games, but it appears to be mostly the fault of parents. And in almost every other aspect of culture, the "keep games away from kids!" people are all "don't tell me how to raise my kids!"

I mean, you can buy rifles specifically for five year olds, because MURRRRRRICA! But games are a problem where choice shouldn't be allowed. Not that I want ten year olds on live or six year olds playing Deadpool. I'm just noting the hypocrisy in the "my choice" argument.

Voluntary regulation sometimes works, and here it clearly does. But it's not law, and it's not an admission of harm.

Captcha: fair or foul. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Saltyk said:
Small note: The ESRB rating do NOT hold the force of law in the United States.[snip]
Crap, you beat me to it. Oh well, my post had a chart in it.

>.>

<.<

DragonStorm247 said:
The problem is politicians' attitude towards science. "The current evidence out there doesn't support my opinion, so I'll fund some evidence my own!"

That is not how the universe works.
It's also not how science works. It's annoying that they want equal footing for non-scientific findings.

uchytjes said:
To say that video games can't cause violence at all is a biased and insane viewpoint. Almost as insane as blaming the game for doing such a thing. In the end, you have to blame the parents. If they don't want their children to play violent video games, then it is up to them, not the government, to prevent that.

I think the best comparison is to that of a car: Do you want to take the risk of having your kid get into an accident? If so, then get them a car. Think its too risky? Don't get them a car or, better yet, have them wait and earn it on their own.
Just for the record, I don't think anyone's saying games CAN'T cause violence. The lack of any real evidence that they do and supportive evidence that they don't is something completely different.

However, what I really wanted to talk about was when I worked retail. It didn't happen often, but every now and again some parent would come into the store and ***** to management that about the violent content of some game. now, this was a Wal-Mart and I don't know the policy of Wal-Marts nationwide, but multiple offenses of selling M games/R movies to kids would cost you your job. Everyone I worked with was careful, because that shitty 6-7 dollars an hour may not have been much, but we could ill afford to lose it. Some of these people had specifically bought the games for their kids. I know, because I was there. I'd warn parents about violent content, and they'd frequently get indignant. That whole "you can't tell me what to do" thing is pretty easy to remember, so even if I didn't remember everyone, those stuck out when they came back.

Using the car analogy, imagine if people came back to a car dealer demanding that someone do something about the dealer who sold them a car for their kid which their kid then crashed. Yeah, makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Then again, these days parents don't even seem to complain. They just don't seem to care if their kid is calling people faggots or making death threats online.

Hooray progress, I guess.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
For what it's worth, Cracked weighs in in the issue of videogame violence and real violence!

I dunno what y'all think about the matter, but I agree on the point that crazy people play games, but games don't really make you crazy as far as the video goes to say the least.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
DragonStorm247 said:
The problem is politicians' attitude towards science. "The current evidence out there doesn't support my opinion, so I'll fund some evidence my own!"

Unfortunately this is exactly how the universe works. It shouldn't but it does. Especially in the political world. Instead of searching for truth, most people start from the point that they damn well already know the truth and then set about to systematically prove it, ignoring any data that does not suit their preconceived notions.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
Sseth said:
how about some research into fucking gun ownership and whether the availability of guns encourages violent crime

but the fat cats in suits and tie would black van anyone who would suggesssf49356iy
I kid you not, it is currently illegal for the US government to do such a study. Congress actually passed a law stating such research could not be done. We haven't been compiling good data on gun deaths for years because of it.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
tmande2nd said:
Least I live in Canada.

I do enjoy watching the cycle in politics.
DISASTER
BLAME
NEWS COVERAGE
USELESS LEGISLATION
FADING AWAY
Forgotten

Rinse and repeat boys rinse and repeat.
That's pretty accurate, but you made an important mistake. "USELESS LEGISTLATION" is often "HARMFUL LEGISLATION", but it's never "HELPFUL LEGISLATION". A prime example would be the Patriot Act.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
To be honest, I don't think a study either way would solve anything at this stage. There are plenty of good studies that have shown no link and been ignored, and plenty of shitty ones that demonstrate a clear link between playing violent videogames and not being quite as willing to pick up a pen, or having a greater tendancy to have someone else drink a spicy substance out of a cup that some people think is representative of violent tendancies. Furthermore videogames are so widespread that you can't point to one, or two, or a dozen, or ten thousand individuals who happen to play them and are also violent and say "Cause and effect right there", because there are literally millions who have not become psychotic under similar circumstances. Basically, had the study concluded there was no link, anti-game (oops sorry I meant anti-videogame violence...or did I, hint: no) agitators would just wait until another dodgy study came along and say "See?!", and had it concluded there was a link, I would have dismissed it almost immediately as biased bullshit, and it would have to be spectacularly thorough for me to revise that opinion. In the end, it's good that perhaps the ECA wants an end to this stupid confirmation bias cycle we're in. Leave games the fuck alone, they're not just for children.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
Personally I don't care about the government wanting to throw more money into a hole to research video games. What I do care about is politicians using this as a smokescreen to avoid talking about gun control and improved healthcare.
and privacy and labour rights and stimulating the economy and personal liberty and education reform and bank regulation and and and and and and and

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Resistance to a study is pointless. Let the study occur and then rip it to shreds if it is poor or listen to it if it is balanced. It is rather simple.

Do videogames cause violence? Like most of you, I would tend towards saying "Well, No." but I would go on to add "Yet we are not certain what the CAUSES of violence are, merely some of the factors that make violence more common."

Yet on the flip side, if I had kids I would not let them play EVERY game at EVERY age. Sure, many people will say "But GTA has not affected me and I was playing it since *AGE* so there!" but... Well, I guess I played GTA when I was young because my parents didn't stop me. But when I have kids, I simply will not let them play incredibly violent games until they are at least 16.

I mean... Meh. It's irrational, ish, but still. No matter how much people preach about how violent videogames make no difference, you gotta stand back and think "Would I let a child play this?", or more importantly, "Would I let my own theoretical child play this?". The ratings system is there for a reason. We should stick to it. If you think it is easy to understand why people are scared of videogames and the effects that they are having on kids. It is only natural. It is something new, something that people of my parents generation have had little to no contact with. My mum just doesn't get why I play the games I play.

That was... mostly on topic.

I guess I am saying resisting a study is utterly pointless. Support the study. Help the study on every level and, more importantly, make sure the study is not biased. Academia is our friend, not our enemy.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
Psychobabble said:
DragonStorm247 said:

Unfortunately this is exactly how the universe works. It shouldn't but it does. Especially in the political world. Instead of searching for truth, most people start from the point that they damn well already know the truth and then set about to systematically prove it, ignoring any data that does not suit their preconceived notions.
Allow me to reiterate. That is how ignorant fools work. But just because you say something, even in law, that doesn't automatically make it true; the universe does not change the fabric of reality.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Hagi said:
Even if data is objectively gathered it's not difficult at all to creatively use statistics to interpret that in a variety of ways. At the end of the day scientists are just people, people with jobs. And when you've been hired to prove that there's a link between two things, you'll find yourself subtly choosing slightly different methods and treating all the data just slightly differently in order to 'do your job'.

Each will, on it's own, still be a completely valid method. But when you start stacking selectively chosen methods and interpretations you'll still end up with a subtly skewed conclusion.
"Proving a link between things" is the exact opposite of what actual scientists are supposed to do. That's not the job of a scientist and not how science (real, replicable, tells-us-about-the-world-and-how-it-works science) works. If someone's using cherry-picked data and/or inappropriate analyses to try to support a conclusion using the data he obtained, that's not science.

There's a saying I rather like--"The data are." They don't always make sense, immediately, and it's rare that they perfectly match up with your hypotheses, but, if you report your data honestly and clearly, it doesn't matter what your conclusions are (so long as they, too, are honest, reasonable efforts to explain and understand the data)--the data remains the same and can be examined by others and re-evaluated at a later time. Also, any good journal will require disclosure of conflicts of interest and any honest scientist will disclose any possible conflicts so that readers can be aware of potential bias up front.