Edge by Mobigame Again Pulled from App Store

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
roskelld said:
-Stranger- said:
roskelld said:
-Stranger- said:
So is Tim Langdell to blame for Edge of Twilight not being out yet?
He got his claws into FuzzyEyes a few months back. Their game now brandishes the 'Licenced from Edge Games' stain. We tried to warn them, but he got there first and sent the letter of doom and got them to sign an agreement.
Please tell me this is a bad joke...
So what does this mean in the end? Is it still going to come out, or am I fucked until April 27th?
It's still coming out, it just now runs the risk of Langdell trying to pass it off as his own.

http://img.skitch.com/20091201-p4pt43jx2xtpg1igdtwufaqx6s.jpg

I'm pretty sure that in the trademark definitions it states that licensed products don't count towards a companies effort to keep a trademark alive. Langdell seems to have been doing just that for quite some time now.
Well then I can breathe a sigh of relief. That game looks so original and fantastic. I'd hate to see it go under due to petty copyright complaints.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
I got it!

Tim Langdell and that agoraphobic Erik Estavillo...

...are part of a clever Dante's Inferno marketing tactic!

BOW TO EA!

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I think we should all send Mr Langdell the following email...
so i herd u liek trademarkz
Will it accomplish anything? Maybe not. Will it be hilarious and at least our own way of getting back at him? Absolutely.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
I have to play devil's advocate here and ask: wouldn't it be easier and cheaper for Mobigame to just change the name? They could avoid costly litigation and get their game back in the app store where they can actually make money off of it... and with that money, they could buy some stamps and use them to mail dirty diapers to Tim Langdell. Or put a billboard or two up near his residence or office that says "Tim Langdell is a whiny douche".

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
This makes me want to make a game called "The Edge: Living on the Edgy Edge of the Edge of Society From Edging Away From Edge-a-Cation."

Also, I'd have the intro screen say "'The Edge' and the Edge name can't be distributed or used by anybody else because I own it all. That's the definition of Edgy right there."

I'll probably need to hide in a hEdge after that. I'll be Edging away from the law.

Edge.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm almost surprised you guys didn't use that picture of Langdell so we could once again gander at that grinning douchebag's face one more time.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I'm behind mobigames all the way, seriously if they aren't referring to the company edge and just using the word edge all should be fine, but I know little about the law of these things or Tim Langdell's mindset...

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
SFR said:
This makes me want to make a game called "The Edge: Living on the Edgy Edge of the Edge of Society From Edging Away From Edge-a-Cation."

Also, I'd have the intro screen say "'The Edge' and the Edge name can't be distributed or used by anybody else because I own it all. That's the definition of Edgy right there."

I'll probably need to hide in a hEdge after that. I'll be Edging away from the law.

Edge.
Langdell is watching you.

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
It did in fact look very much like good had triumphed over evil.

But like the man said, "Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
Evil always wins because Good has to play by the rules it makes itself.

"Oh help, I'm being repressed. Sucka."

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Samurai Ralan said:
They should just change the name of the game to "Not Edge"
Langdell would continue manstruating because it contains the word Edge.

The fall of Western society...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Meh, I'd rather see a bit more creativity than an F-Zero clone. I'll just continue my pattern of not buying Edge brand games.

Can't wait to see what's next in this idiocy.
F-Zero clone aside, I must admit that it looks... disturbingly... good...

Pfft, I prefer Wipeout anyway. Screw you and your silly trademarks Langdell. You're not getting any of my money, that's for sure.

Who says videogame politics can't be dramatic and exciting?

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
According to my recent course on trademark law, both Edge Games and Edge by Mobigames are likely classified as Arbitrary/Fanciful trademarks, meaning they are highly distinctive in that they are only associated with the product by branding. The only way to prove who is right in this case is to show which trademark is more distinctive (which can't be done, it's arbitrary by nature.)

Point of this post: I just took a class on this shit and even I don't have any clue what's gonna happen.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
I just hope someone will remember they trademarked the word before Edge Games did, and that they will harass them for a change. (If the trademark office lets you trademark a common word just like that, I wouldn't be surprised if they accidentally let multiple people do it, because it doesn't seem like they're doing their job very well... from my layman's perspective at least.)

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
-facepalm-

Yes, because now they're going to sue anyone who says someone is "on the EDGE of their seat!" and some such nonsense. Morons.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
"Edge Games" Someone needs to copyright games. Then start another lawsuit. With Langdells legal division cut in half and everything he says in one case working against him in the other it will only be a matter of time... Then we unleash the man-hacks.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Think about the lawyers who took this case, I don't know but this proves lawyers are also jackasses.

I wonder if you can find Ipod in the dictionary

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
heyheysg said:
Think about the lawyers who took this case, I don't know but this proves lawyers are also jackasses.

I wonder if you can find Ipod in the dictionary
They're copyright lawyers... this is probably just business as usual for them.