Edge of Tomorrow Bombed at the Box Office... So Warner Bros Renamed It (Again)

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I've noticed a distinct trend of Americans seeming to have terrible taste in movies with regards to many great films doing poorly in US but then raking in the money elsewhere in the world.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
If they were gonna rename it anything, I wish they'd had the stones to call it Groundhog Day 2. THAT would sell some DVDs.
LazyAza said:
I've noticed a distinct trend of Americans seeming to have terrible taste in movies with regards to many great films doing poorly in US but then raking in the money elsewhere in the world.
Are you suggesting that the US being only a fraction of the world's population has no bearing on the situation? I think it says more about a movie when the international cash DOESN'T exceed local gains.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
Mahorfeus said:
Nevrim said:
Is this film based on the manga "All you need is kill", or the other way around?
All You Need Is Kill was a Japanese light novel. It was renamed Edge of Tomorrow for its international release for god knows what reason. Both the movie and manga are based on it, with the manga being a more faithful adaptation.

At any rate, I like this new title a lot better, but to be honest, I don't see why they can't just keep the original freakin' name.
I found the Light novel to be a lot better then the movie. Would be nice to see another one but seems like its going to remain a stand alone book.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I'm actually really excited to see this movie, so I'm anticipating its arrival.

Now if we can just get The Babadook here in the states I'll be satisfied.

Damn you, Australia!​

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Changing the name of the movie seems like a weird fix. I hope that for the Japanese release though the name is "All You Need is Kill."

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I will still recommend this movie to people when it comes out, regardless of the title it becomes, even though I didn't like the ending, it's still a pretty fun time at the movies.

I love that Warner Brothers seems to be truly embarrassed by this when the movie is actually not half bad. I wouldn't say I'd buy this movie, but I loved spending the money in a theater to enjoy it.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
I've been saying for months that they should of called it Live Die Repeat in the first place. Has WB been spying on me? D:
This was a solid movie by the way. Shame it died out in theaters but movies take on a second life on home video. Hey.. just like the title!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh...that seems like an odd and somewhat desperate move.

Still, if it works, lets rename John Carter a few times, that movie wasn't that bad. Also, Vampire Academy.

Queen Michael said:
(Or the whale spinoff: All You Need Is Krill.)
:(

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Edge of Tomorrow makes me think of a James Bond flick. 'Agent 007 James Bond in The Edge of Tomorrow!' Heh.

Hey, so does Live Die Repeat! Isn't that interesting...

Wait

so does All You Need.. Is Kill...

EDIT: And all sung by Duran Duran! I can't shake the sound. It's brilliant and saddening at the same time.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
That's too bad, I really enjoyed it. Not a classic, but really good summer time in the movies. I really like timeloop stuff, and this movie used it really well.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
They seem to be beating around the bush.

In my opinion they should have just renamed it Groundhogs Day and been done with it.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Shame, since it was a genuinely good movie. And I don't mean that in the "it didn't suck as bad as I thought it would", I mean that it's actually good. It's fun, witty, well made, visually interesting, solidly written, with good acting. Hell, it makes you empathize with Tom Cruise by the end. Let that sink in - it manages to make Tom Cruise feel like a real human being. If I had one complaint it would be the ending, which kinda felt like it was rewritten into something happier than originally intended and made little sense.

I'm guessing that it did better overseas because Cruise hate isn't as prevalent outside the US...

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I guess everyone have their own opinion about the name, but almost everyone agreed that it's a good movie.

I too watched it twice and the second time was just as awesome as the first. It got action, comedy, sci-fi and philosophy all in one movie. Whoever didn't watch it should get the dvd, it really is awesome!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"you could just ask the clerk for "that sci-fi Tom Cruise movie," which is probably equally descriptive."
Minority Report? I don't think we stock it anymore, sir...

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
One of the best original sci-fi releases in the past years. Really well executed.
And yeah, better than Guardians of the Galaxy, which was so full of cliches and pandering.

Based on the production history that was in the press, I think the main problem was that they spent way too much money. Compare the budget to something like District 9 ($40 mn?)

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
I bet if it had been called All You Need Is Kill it would've done fine. Stupid name changes. Edge of Tomorrow sounds generic and barely makes sense. I mean the original title also barely makes sense but at least it's interesting! I guess maybe they had to change it for legal reasons.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Well, I liked it. I thought it was a pretty damn good action flick. Pretty cool sci-fi premise as well. It'll probably do better as time goes on, this summer was a tough summer of movies to compete with, and with the prices of everything going up, people are watching fewer movies.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Edge of Tomorrow was easily the least dumb of the 3 names, but that wasn't a great name either.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Should have kept Edge of Tomorrow. All You Need is Kill makes zero sense. It'll probably, PROBABLY catch the attention to the 100 fans of the manga, who will then in turn pan the hell out of it for it not being true to the original plot. But it'll most likely confuse or deter the rest of the potential customers because the name sounds stupid. It probably tanked because it's a Tom Cruise movie.