Edge of Tomorrow Bombed at the Box Office... So Warner Bros Renamed It (Again)

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
Oh god, they changed it to an even worse title. No offence but the original novel's title "All You Need Is Kill" is great in the cheesy sense which actually convinced to read the novel while the titles that WB is giving just give off this sense of overly bland genericness in my opinion which has done no favours in term of box office standards (I'm sure that the title had some part in its failure).

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Jadak said:
While I'm not sure how 99+264 is considered a flop next to 178, can't really object to them thinking they can do better with a different name. But definitely rather pointless at this stage.
J Tyran said:
Poor Warner Brothers, I feel so bad for them... The movie only made $185,000,000 more than its production budget? Hard times for these movie makers, hard times.

I blame the pirates...
They apparently had to do rewrites and reshoots and that was about $50 million (which wasn't included in the production budget).
Then you need to account for the fact that cinemas get at least 1/3 of the gross.
Then you need to add around $30-50 million for the marketing campaign.
So you're left with the studio making less than the movie's budget.

I think that they will make it back on DVD/Blu Ray/Netflix/etc.
This movie was really good and people online have been raving about it (I know, I was one of them).
Changing the name?
I don't know about that. People know it as Edge of Tomorrow and those who haven't seen it but heard it was good will look for it under that name.

Also, it wasn't the name that brought the less than expected earnings in my opinion.
It was the shitty marketing campaign.
The trailers made it look so much worse than it was.
I only went so see it because my other plans on that day got cancelled and I didn't want to see X-Men because I got bored during Wolverine last year.

This movie did very well for Cruise's "street cred" though.
He's 52 but he's still on top of his game.
I think that because this movie was so well received, more people will go to see MI5 next year.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Most of my friends keep calling it Live Die Repeat, it's just a lot easier to remember than Edge of Tomorrow. But it's a shame it didn't do particular well, it was refreshing to see a well executed sci-i action movie for once.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Vault101 said:
something can't bomb if it makes a profit can it?

anyway I really enjoyed this movie,

and aside from the fact I actually like the new title...uhh....why would they change it now? whats that going to do? I don't believe I've ever seen this happen before?
I think the rule is it's got to make double what it cost to recuperate the expenses. Even though this made $364 million out of a budget of $178 Million... wait, it didn't bomb, it made back it's money, hell, twice it's budget. How the fuck did this 'bomb'? Did it not live up to the expected numbers some executive pulled out his arse?

Even though the title makes some sense, I don't like it. It's too blunt, and also it's lazy to rename your movie after the tagline.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Shiftygiant said:
I think the rule is it's got to make double what it cost to recuperate the expenses. Even though this made $364 million out of a budget of $178 Million... wait, it didn't bomb, it made back it's money, hell, twice it's budget. How the fuck did this 'bomb'? Did it not live up to the expected numbers some executive pulled out his arse?
Hookers and coke don't pay themselves you know.

Also what kind of monster names their child Edgeoftommorow.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Oh man, I completely forgot about this movie. I wanted to see it too, because it sounds like they actually did it right: Lots of action and fighting, more than what we just see in the trailer, which is a common crime nowadays to me.

Good to know about the name change. I thought, reading this article, that it had already come out and I completely missed it. Now I'll know what to look for.
It really is worth checking out. As much as I loved Cap, I think this might have been my favorite Blockbuster of the year (so far, obviously). It plays so smartly with the premise. It doesn't miss a beat.

OT - I can only see this hurting it at retail. Unless they are just going the Social Network route and making the tagline huge and the title small and off to the side.

I'll be picking this up either way.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I always took "Box Office Bomb" to mean that it didn't meet its projected goals. There is still room to make money, but even with making over $700+ million at theaters Man of Steel could be considered a bomb to the people in the boardroom because it didn't make its projected $1 billion. The reason why I believe this is the money that they throw at a movie and its advertising is based on what they project to make so they spent more money on the movie to generate a certain amount of income. So this movie might have been profitable, but it didn't mean expectations of the studios so the movie bombed to the studio.

Back to the original topic, the name change still won't be enough to interest me in the movie for everything I saw about it didn't appeal to what I would find interesting, but that is a common problem anymore with movies.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think the movie looks good and I like the concept.

I just don't want to donate to the Scientologists, which I know I'd be doing via Tom Cruise. Basically I'm waiting for it to come out on netflix.

Now if Tom Cruise would stop being a Scientologist, I could go back to watching his movies in the theaters.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Should have just called it 'Respawn'. Everybody who's the target audience knows what that means.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
rcs619 said:
2: The aliens. Whoever designed those things (they're considerably different from the Mimics in the source material) needs to never be allowed to design monsters again. They're just so excessively busy, and there's never once in the movie (except in that one hologram) where you actually get a decent look at what the things actually are. They're just these jumbled, blurry masses of tentacles zipping around too fast to see. They may as well have been sapient flying sawblades, and they would have had the same effect.

Overall though, it was a fun enough movie for what it was.
I'm willing to bet that this was a conscious decision. I, for one, thought it was very nice to see an alien design that haven't been done ten times before. And the speed they moved around with added to their image of being dangerous death things for a lack of a better phrase.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I haven't seen it so I can't really comment on the film itself - but what benefit is there to renaming it at this stage? All that does is cause confusion for those who actually did like it and want it on DVD or Bluray. Maybe their logic is that it will be rented or bought by people who won't know it as the "Edge of Tomorrow" that their friends warned them against seeing and will instead see it just as another Tom Cruise movie - in which case, wow that's kind of sad.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
All You Need is Kill sounds exactly like the kind of broken English you'd expect from something that originated in Japan. Acceptable for an anime, I guess, but not a Hollywood film. Also, probably has nothing to do with anything in the movie.

The Edge of Tomorrow sounds so much like a generic Hollywood action-flick name it might as well be a parody. It has nothing to do with anything in this or any other movie.

Live. Die. Repeat. is so obviously more of a tagline than a title, but at least it's indicative of the movie's subject matter. In an age where too many movies have titles that have nothing to do with anything, it's kind of refreshing if nothing else.

Nimcha said:
Should have just called it 'Respawn'. Everybody who's the target audience knows what that means.
Except he doesn't respawn. That's a thing that happens in real time, usually in multiplayer games. He gets sent back in time. So really they should have called it Checkpoint if they wanted to make a video game reference. As an added bonus, it doubles as a military term, albeit one that probably has no specific significance in this movie.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered my copy. I cannot wait to watch it again.