Edgey McEdgerson's Hedge Edger

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
Easily the best hedge edging game I've played this year. IGN, you need a new category.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Everyone rate this 5 stars. This is the best game of all time.

I don't even have a CSI joke to put here, but it deserves the button anyway.

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=csi

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Ah, I suck at this game also, none the less it's still pretty great.

Yaxley

Sep 23, 2009
The fact that this exists is cool in and of itself, but that it's also fun is just icing on the cake.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Surprisingly, this is actually pretty fun and challenging. Nicely done OP.

Pecoros7

Jun 13, 2008
Honestly, I expected much less out of a game about hedges, but this is one of those games I will keep coming back to long after the novelty has worn off. It truly stands as an example of how games with a simple interface and singular objective can be just about as much fun as triple A titles.

NirTivAal

Apr 23, 2009
WOW. I don't know what to say, I definitely never expected such positive feedback. I guess I'll respond to some of the comments now and come back once I'm a little less overwhelmed.

Lady Kathleen said:
And I beat it! Yah! I went into the sun... yah?
I'm glad you like it! It makes it seem more legitimate. Regarding going into the sun, the game's description is "Use your speed, reflexes, and hedge trimmers to ascend to a new plane of existence." I figured just falling back to the ground is a pretty bad way to end what should be a triumph.

I think I'll add an easy mode for people who can't get the good ending on normal. As you might have guessed I created and tested the game on original mode, and there weren't difficulty levels. I got so used to the absurd speed in original that by the time I realized I needed to reduce the speed I had no perspective on what was appropriate. My intention was that anyone would be able to beat the game in 3 tries or less.

If you guys are interested I'll talk some more about how I designed it.

chronolos

Apr 20, 2009
This game is so much win. Ascending to the sun was so fulfilling. The awesome chiptune made it even more glorious. Good joke, great game.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
HAHA this is pretty sweet. Nice job on making it. i tip my hat to you..... if only i had a hat. XD

NirTivAal

Apr 23, 2009
Several people said:
This should be on iPhone or some other mobile phone
I would if I could! You need a Macintosh to make games for iOS. Unfortunately the staggering $1.52 that I've made in ad-revenue (which I can't collect anyways) isn't enough to pay for one.

Several people said:
This is like Canabalt or Robot Unicorn or both
I hadn't played Robot Unicorn until I heard about it here, but I had played Canabalt. I found Canabalt kind of annoying because if you actually think about it the best strategy is to go as slow as possible so you can avoid the hazards. Also, in Canabalt the only ending (unless there's one I never managed to get) is that you mess up and die. You basically grind it out for as long as you can and then you lose. It's fun despite that but ultimately when the game ends it rarely feels like you deserved to lose.

I wanted Edgey McEdgerson to be about going as fast as you possibly can, and to be about succeeding instead of failing. That's why the only thing you can interact with is the hedges, and the only thing that can negatively affect you is gravity. Even if you fall the game will put a hedge directly under you and try to bring you back up to where you were. I also didn't want it to be a "who can play the longest" contest, which is where the time limit came from. This creates a situation where the best high scores come from good strategy and not the amount of time you can invest.

I think the reason the game is fun despite being so simple is that it still has the "I can do better" aspect of Canabalt and Robot Unicorn, but it's not as punishing. Plus the ending is (hopefully) hilarious and unexpected.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
I HAVE BECOME ONE WITH THE SPACE GOD, "COOL SUN". WE ARE NOW 2 LEGIT TO QUIT. I TRIM THE STARS.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Ohh my god man, this game is great. Danm shame you can't get this to the iphone. I'd be huge.

blue spartan 11

Oct 13, 2009
You do realise that if you adapt it to the ipod, you can make a good 10k if you put it up for cheap? Just saying. 1 Dollar seems fine by me to have a copy of this masterpiece.

Edit: I Am One with the Sun! I am awesome! But not as much as this game!