edit: thread no longer exists

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The paper is a shopping list and he remembers that he needs to get a new bulb for the lights so he goes to write that down on the list.

Mar 30, 2010
'A man is walking along a corridor with a piece of paper in his hand with information on it. As he is walking the lights in the corridor flicker and he returns back the way he has come. Why?'
Whatever arcane knowledge inscribed on this traveller's scroll is irrelevant. Our hero in this tale is clearly a wily adventurer, and knows well the danger of Grues.

Aug 25, 2009
We have a winner!

x EvilErmine x said:
c) The man is a warden in a prison, the information on the paper is a pardon for a death row inmate, flickering light means the man has just been executed by electric chair so the man goes back the way he came because there's no point in pardoning a dead dude.
The answer I was looking for is that he is walking down a corridor in a jail, carrying a pardon for an inmate about to be executed. When the lights flicker he knows that the inmate has been executed, so he returns, knowing there is no reason to continue.

New puzzle.

A man is lying a telephone box. His hands are cut and bleeding, the glass on either side of him is broken, the phone is off the hook. What did he do and why did he do it?

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
He was taking a work order to the managers office of said building saying that he had fixed the flickery light problem.

Or not, as the case may be.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Just looked up the answer, and it's not just one of 50 billion possible answers, it doesn't even make sense.

So in this facility, the electric chair's wiring is so badly designed it causes the lights to flicker when turned on. Right...
Aren't light flickers a well known stereotype of electric chairs?

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Just looked up the answer, and it's not just one of 50 billion possible answers, it doesn't even make sense.

So in this facility, the electric chair's wiring is so badly designed it causes the lights to flicker when turned on. Right...
Yeah, that's the problem with these kind of puzzles. Some of them can be pretty clever, but so many of them are either especially vague that too many things work, completely implausible, or the answer is really fucking stupid...or all of the above.

Like this one I just found:
"Two dead people sit in their cars on a street."

<spoiler=ridiculous solution>Because there was a heavy fog, two people driving in opposite directions on the same road both stuck their heads out of their windows to see the center line better. Their heads hit each other at high speed, killing them both.

The OP puzzle isn't actually that bad compared some of the ones out there.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
New puzzle.

A man is lying a telephone box. His hands are cut and bleeding, the glass on either side of him is broken, the phone is off the hook. What did he do and why did he do it?
I saw something similar to this.

Is he a fisherman?

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
I'm guessing that, for the phone booth one, the guy was caught in a glass case of emotion and lashed out too hard.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Is the phone booth puzzle
the one where he went fishing and tried to do the "I cause one THIS big" and he hit his hands through the phone glass?

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
DarkRyter said:
the one where he went fishing and tried to do the "I cause one THIS big" and he hit his hands through the phone glass?
Damnit. That's what I was going to try to get to.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
New puzzle.
The telephone box is on a moving conveyor belt and is about to be dropped off into something deadly.

The man is a spy. He was tied up in the phone booth as part of an overly elaborate plan to kill him, ala James Bond. He has broken the glass in an attempt to cut the bindings on his hands and free himself before the slow-moving death trap kills him.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
He punched the glass out because the booth fell onto the door (in, for example, an earthquake). He needed to break the glass to get out.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
DarkRyter said:
Ugh, that's so stupid.

<spoiler=so much dumb>
- That's some fragile glass / an incredibly strong guy
- who would be so stupid to make that motion while on the phone
- who would be so stupid to make a two-handed gesture of any kind while on the phone

Better answer:
The guy is Bullseye and he's in a phone booth because he doesn't have a cell phone for some reason, and Hawkeye, who both wanted to do Daredevil a favor and prove he was the better marksmen shoots an arrow that breaks through the glass, goes through Bullseye's hands (like in the movie kinda) and out the other side of the phone booth.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Boyninja616 said:
MelasZepheos said:
New puzzle.

I saw something similar to this.

Is he a fisherman?
This is what I thought also...

"It was this big I swear!"

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
What's up with these puzzles? Part me of me thinks that anyone with a half ounce of common sense would instantly realize that these vague open-ended puzzles (with allegedly only one correct solution) are just load of crap, while part of me wonders if I'm just spectacularly retarded at puzzles.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Obviously, he put the phone off the hook, broke the glass with the hammer you inconveniently forgot to mention, then cut himself with the glass because he's into that sort of thing.

TL;DR This thread is stupid.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Elcarsh said:
dyre said:
What's up with these puzzles? Part me of me thinks that anyone with a half ounce of common sense would instantly realize that these vague open-ended puzzles (with allegedly only one correct solution) are just load of crap, while part of me wonders if I'm just spectacularly retarded at puzzles.
That first part of you is right. This has nothing to do with lateral thinking, it's just someone providing far too few clues to arrive at the correct solution without blind guesswork. There is nothing clever or witty about it. It is actually completely and utterly impossible to reason your way to the right answer, which makes this excercise stupid.
I agree, but it's kind of fun to see the different interpretations.
If you want an actual lateral thinking exercise:

What is the next letter in this sequence:
W-I-T-N-L-I-T-

Kind of boring. Only one answer.