edit: thread no longer exists

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Phone Booth:

1. What led up to this: Most likely, he threw his hands through the sides of the glass, dropping the phone.

2. Most likely, he made a two handed gesture without thinking. Which two-handed gesture involves putting your hands out the side (preferably quickly)?

3. The only gestures I can think of that fits that criteria is "melodramatic crucifixion", used by dramatic people when explaining how very tortured they are, and the "It was THIS big!" gesture, used by dishonest fishermen. Either one works, so either he's a dramatic teenager who had a blonde moment, or he's a dishonest fisherman who also had a blonde moment.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
dyre said:
What's up with these puzzles? Part me of me thinks that anyone with a half ounce of common sense would instantly realize that these vague open-ended puzzles (with allegedly only one correct solution) are just load of crap, while part of me wonders if I'm just spectacularly retarded at puzzles.
Considering that the OP gives hints on how to solve these, it's more like playing twenty questions, and isn't that bad since you can narrow down the solutions.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Warachia said:
dyre said:
What's up with these puzzles? Part me of me thinks that anyone with a half ounce of common sense would instantly realize that these vague open-ended puzzles (with allegedly only one correct solution) are just load of crap, while part of me wonders if I'm just spectacularly retarded at puzzles.
Considering that the OP gives hints on how to solve these, it's more like playing twenty questions, and isn't that bad since you can narrow down the solutions.
But that's not a lateral thinking puzzle then. This is just "Guess what I'm thinking". If it was a lateral thinking puzzle, then any sufficiently justified answer will be valid. The question itself is open ended. Why should it answering it should rely on information we do not have and some somewhat wild assumptions to be made? How does this make it in any way logic?

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Elcarsh said:
TrilbyWill said:
I agree, but it's kind of fun to see the different interpretations.
If you want an actual lateral thinking exercise:

What is the next letter in this sequence:
W-I-T-N-L-I-T-

Kind of boring. Only one answer.
Part of me wants to stand up and shout "It's S, I figured it out! Woohoo!", but another part just thinks it's a trap and that it can't be the simple. Either way, that is a prime example of lateral thinking.
Yes. It's S.
One of my old teachers had dozens of these. That was one.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
TrilbyWill said:
Elcarsh said:
TrilbyWill said:
I agree, but it's kind of fun to see the different interpretations.
If you want an actual lateral thinking exercise:

What is the next letter in this sequence:
W-I-T-N-L-I-T-

Kind of boring. Only one answer.
Part of me wants to stand up and shout "It's S, I figured it out! Woohoo!", but another part just thinks it's a trap and that it can't be the simple. Either way, that is a prime example of lateral thinking.
Yes. It's S.
One of my old teachers had dozens of these. That was one.
WOW, I was way overthinking that.