Editorial: Omitting Women From Games Because "It's Too Hard" is Unacceptable

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Legion said:
There is also the fact that Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Revelations and III all had female assassins (Templars if you wish to be pedantic) in multiplayer and had no problems there.
Those models only need a small percentage of the mocap and manual animation of the protagonist model.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
The Plunk said:
There was an interesting post on Reddit about this that TotalBiscuit Tweeted about recently: http://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/27ut97/distinct_lack_of_female_characters_due_to/ci5z8i7

Creating female playable characters is a lot of work, and when you're on a very tight schedule you have to consider what to prioritise. When only a small segment of your target audience is going to care about not being able to play as a female character, it makes more sense to focus on something else.
This is all a bit of a moot point, though, isn't it? The argument isn't "they should shoehorn girls in afterwards", the argument is "why didn't they think about female characters and models during the planning phase?".

When allocating resources and making decisions about what was going to be in the game, why weren't there any women put in? Why not just one? Especially given, as other posters have mentioned, the fact that a female assassin played a very real role in the actual French Revolution?

It's like... I get that making games is hard, adding resources is hard. But the fact that in the day one planning meeting nobody even thought to bring up female models and characters... the fact that it needs to be an afterthought, not an initial decision... I think that's what's got people, myself included, a little miffed.

jrobson68

Jun 2, 2010
Why do people keep using Charlotte Corday as justification for a female assassin? She stabbed a cripple in the bath, whihc in the context of AC doesn't make you an assassin, particularly because she got caught.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
well, if they would be more up front and just say that societies impossible expectations and over analyzing of female characters makes it near impossible to make likable female characters and making generic male characters is easier and lest costly to do, I would totally buy that.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
It just baffles me when people get upset and tell others to shut up. This kind of reaction itself IS the feedback mechanism between audience/consumer and content creator. The fact that there is some kind of backlash at all indicates that there's a market for more female models/characters. Maybe not a big one, but when doing planning for the game, it's not too far out there to just include one. Plan ahead, put it in there. The majority of the models will be dudebros so the manly men can avoid feeling too threatened, and there can be something for the rest of us too.

Consumer demand can dictate trends, yeah, but mindlessly following trends, and focus testing, and playing to the market isn't the only way to make a game. If games are art, and I like to think they can be, then sometimes they can challenge the consumer, do something new, and maybe create a trend instead of following one.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Somewhat undermines your, your article's and The Escapist's position on the matter when, in the opening paragraph, you explain how hard it was to give AC:Unity - the posterboy on this whole sexism debacle - an award considering it's laconic and inexcusable stance and yet gave them an award anyway.

You giveth with one hand and taketh form the other, and I find it hard to take form one hand when I can look over and see their trophy. Because showing how wrong they are on women needs to be done one award at a time, apparently.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
ccdohl said:
Hey so, if you know so much about character design, maybe you should make your own game and animate your own female characters, or just not buy the game if it bothers you so much.
Or we could just complain about it online.

And if you don't like that, you could set up your own forum or not come here if it bothers you so much. /s

See?

ccdohl said:
It's not wrong or sexist, it's just business.
Why not all of the above? Excluding half of the world's population from being represented in the wide majority of popular culture, *is* wrong.

It's just happens to be one of those wrongs that can also be justified by business.

Most of them can. Especially the ones done by corporations. By your own logic, the only wrong thing those could do would be to earn less money, everything else is justified by being "just business".

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
ccdohl said:
Hey so, if you know so much about character design, maybe you should make your own game and animate your own female characters, or just not buy the game if it bothers you so much.
I hope that whenever you have a complaint about a video game, you immediately run out and start your own development company. You wouldn't want to have a double standard, right? And this is a web-site whose sole function is to discuss video games. Why are you so bothered that people are discussing a video game on it?

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Okay, say females r 2 hard to animate, what about anyone who isn't white? Hell just change the colour of a white characters face, they're covered up everywhere else anyway. The 3 non-main characters r unimportant, so do they all have to be white, 30, with dark hair. Hell give one of them blonde facial hair, please.
More ot, don't they already have assests for female assassins from liberation and mp modes. Wouldn't the work already be half-started?

Edited for typos and elaboration.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Wow Tim Schafer is being a right prick there, like I agree with his message I suppose, but his little gif really makes him come off as a douche.

Anyway everyone here is missing the real problem. Why is there no hermaphrodite characters in the game, and also not in large amounts of other games...in fact they are in so few that its like they are saying that they don't exist...like how the gays didn't exist until they did...where are my women with bulge physics? Does no one want women stacked everywhere?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Alterego-X said:
To be fair, AC Unity is not a design-your-character RPG but a single narrative, and it's co-op is just the one protagonist reskinned.
This is what I was thinking the whole time I was reading the article. I could've missed out on the major plots of this shitstorm though. Am I right in thinking that the complaining part is about the main character not being a female? It's not a "there's multiplayer and it's all male characters", is it (seeing as they had female characters in MP before as far as I know)?

Tbh, Battlefield and similar games are a far bigger offender on this in my opinion. You have generic character models that don't mean squat or have any story (ie. all you need is an animated female, and as mentioned in the article, that's not THAT much work) and you can't be arsed making a female counterpart. That's a problem. A team usually choosing a male protagonist... you might not like it, but that's not much of a problem, it's just the story they've written. I wouldn't mind seeing a female protagonist in an AC game at all, but I also wouldn't try to cram the idea down an entire team's throat and call them sexist for not liking it.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
And all those games have female NPC's in the game world and that right there proves the excuse of "too hard to animate" to be bullshit. Then there is the myth that male players do not want to play female characters. Ever play an MMO? Seriously any MMO proves that males have no issues with playing a female character.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
ccdohl said:
blalien said:
ccdohl said:
I hope that whenever you have a complaint about a video game, you immediately run out and start your own development company. You wouldn't want to have a double standard, right? And this is a web-site whose sole function is to discuss video games. Why are you so bothered that people are discussing a video game on it?
Well, to be honest, I don't complain about video games very often. I either enjoy the art, or I don't, and I don't buy what I don't enjoy, or what I think that I will not enjoy.

Further, I am unencumbered by a need to have main characters in games look like me, so that really broadens the games that I can enjoy.

Finally, I'm not bothered. I'm just responding.

Why does my discussion bother you so much? It doesn't? It's just part of the discussion? You don't say!
I never said your discussion bothered me, I just asked a question. I'm going to assume you're a dude from your profile photo, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong. Have you considered that you don't have a need to have main characters that look like you because you already have so many that look like you? It's like walking up to a starving child and saying, "Well I'm not encumbered by a need for food, I don't know what your problem is."

I mean yeah, E3 had some female protagonists, but they were in the vast minority and most of them were from Nintendo. Do you not see why some women would consider it a kick in a teeth when a high profile developer tells them, "We were gonna have female PCs in our game, but we had to cut something. What were we gonna do, delay the game a week? Naaaah."

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Rozalia1 said:
Wow Tim Schafer is being a right prick there, like I agree with his message I suppose, but his little gif really makes him come off as a douche.
Why? All he's doing is showing the difference between men and women can be as simple as a re-skin.

OP: Didn't Ubisoft already have a female protagonist in Assassin's Creed III: Liberation?

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
I find it ironic that this is the same team that always includes a preface to their game saying it was developed by a diverse team of various etnicities and religious faiths and beliefs. we're totally cool with everyone. except girls, girls are yucky.