Editorial: Omitting Women From Games Because "It's Too Hard" is Unacceptable

deshadow52

Oct 25, 2010
Mistilteinn said:
deshadow52 said:
Nah, you're pretty much spot on. The more something is scrutinized, the more likely people are to complain about it. And right now we have a lot of scrutiny directed towards game developers and publishers about the inclusion/depiction of women in games. So it makes sense that everyone's going to find something to complain about, because everyone's focusing on the same thing. And, as anyone who's ever met any other human should know, there's no pleasing everyone. Meanwhile, male characters and their inclusion/depiction is pretty much ignored because it's just standard-fare at this point. There will be a male character, and that they'll look and act like a male character (whatever the heck that actually means, when you think about).

Eventually, I hope things calm down because, while it's interesting to read topics on these issues (even pretty damn educational at times, which is always a plus), it's also feeding into the selfsame issue in ways that aren't particularly positive. Things aren't black-and-white, as others posters mentioned, but a lot of the time we look at the issue in that way: you're either for or against, and there's no wiggle-room. Rather than get pissed at the devs because they said "it's too hard" after the fact, when evidence shows that in fact, yes, it is very time-consuming and resource-consuming to create new characters from scratch, what we should be asking is why the topic of adding a female character wasn't brought up sooner during development--which it appears to have been. If we can better understand why they shut down a female characters development early on in the game, then we won't be stuck arguing over a poorly-worded excuse.

Basically, my point is that we ought to look at the source of the problem rather than the aftermath. When we can fix the source of the problem, then we can hopefully solve the underlying issue and we won't be having these arguments anymore, because by that point male and female characters will be looked at in the same light: as characters rather than their genders.
Thank you, I think developers should try to make female characters, but I think the attitude of female characters needs to be changed by both developers and gamers. Also going around and asking each developer why there is no female character and then going on twitter and going into a rage fest about the answer is not going to make any progress; or at the very least it does more harm then good.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Plunk said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Rozalia1 said:
Wow Tim Schafer is being a right prick there, like I agree with his message I suppose, but his little gif really makes him come off as a douche.
Why? All he's doing is showing the difference between men and women can be as simple as a re-skin.
I think it's pretty disingenuous to be honest. Maybe it's possible to use the same models and animations for male and female characters using Costume Quest's stylised, heavily simplified art-style, but it's a completely different matter when creating characters in a photo-realistic art-style.
I dunno, isn't female Shepard just a re-skin of male Shepard with another voice actor?

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
RA92 said:
The "If you don't like it, why don't you make your own video game" response is made by people who want to shut down conversations.
Partially. It's also said by those who want to see a new wave of Developers who actually want to make more diverse games, that actually have a passion about it, and would do it justice.

Eventually someone who cares about these issues is going to have to start making games, otherwise we'll at worse continue to see the same trends and at best see shallow renditions of "diversity"

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ngehh.

I'd agree that adding female player characters to games is well worthwhile, and I'd certainly be for more game companies giving such a thing the consideration that would allow it to make it into the early stages of development.

But could we please not suggest that it's cost-free, let alone that the costs of adding a character that the customers will spend the majority of the game carefully scrutinizing hasn't changed in the last ten years? It has, and fudging the argument like that undermines it.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
No one needs to walk with a sway, just don't center your feet under your body ... it's inefficient and more cultural than a result of body mechanics.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
The Rogue Wolf said:
So where are those $250 million budgets going, anyway? Oh, right, advertising.

The thing here is that they're trying to give the illusion of "oh, we'd have loved to, but it just couldn't be done because of reasons", but the reality is "we just didn't care until we got called out for it and now it's too late, so here's some bullshit excuses we hope you'll buy, along with our game". What I really don't get, though, are the people who are saying "Well, it doesn't bother ME, so why are YOU complaining?". I can't tell if they're trying to defend their favorite franchises from criticism, or really just don't care about anyone's concerns but their own.
General myopia, lack of empathy, never having had to deal with actual prejudice slapping them in the face and affecting them in a very negative manner.

Some people just can't look outside of their own experiences and understand that things aren't as easy or nice for others who aren't just like them.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
I'm not sure what the controversy is all about. Ubisoft is a business and modeling, texturing, and animating a new character costs money be it a peasant, a dragon, or a female assassin. They want to spend X money on Y project that will return Z projected revenue. If adding something to project Y that increases X more then Z they WILL NOT DO IT. That is the short of it. That's all they need to say, we don't believe that female playable characters will make us more money, and ALL we want to do is make more money.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
There's also the fact that whatever female character is put in games, it will be over-analyized and never good enough for whatever vocal group doesn't like it...

Remember when one group was getting nasty because Ellie from "the last of us" wasn't "strong and independent" enough despite being a great zombie killer at 14 years old? The developers were called sexist for it

Just because a small group complains doesn't mean anything. Groups of people complain about games all the time.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
What's the deal, this is all co-op and multiplayer complaining right?

Hasn't reskinning the main character for co-op been successful since the first halo and no-one complained.

I mean, this is ubisoft after all, one of the more by the books action type studios, do we really look for them for social progression or expect for it to play it safe.

It would be cool to play as a female assassin but I don't see ubisoft really bothering, not with a famously lazy series like this. Hence the backlash. But we will get progression, but it's probably not going to start in a place like this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
jrobson68 said:
Why do people keep using Charlotte Corday as justification for a female assassin? She stabbed a cripple in the bath, whihc in the context of AC doesn't make you an assassin, particularly because she got caught.
Because AC games have indicated pretty much every assassination was the work of an Assassin or Templar. Also, probably because the historicity of women/people of colour has been brought up a lot in tandem.

Me55enger said:
Somewhat undermines your, your article's and The Escapist's position on the matter when, in the opening paragraph, you explain how hard it was to give AC:Unity - the posterboy on this whole sexism debacle - an award considering it's laconic and inexcusable stance and yet gave them an award anyway.
Yeeeeeeeeah. It sort of sends a mixed message.

ccdohl said:
It's not wrong or sexist, it's just business.
A business can be a business and be sexist. Or a lot of other things. Just being a business doesn't make it ethical.

If there is such a huge market for games with female characters, take your obviously immense knowledge of character design and capitalize rather than just complaining.
I agree we should only complain about things we're in a position to do better ourselves.

ccdohl said:
Hey that's really impressive! I didn't think that they could make it look any worse, but they topped themselves with this!
ccdohl said:
Hey! Laird agrees with like, everyone else in the world. Time to can these crappy CGI turtles and dust off the awesome looking rubber ones from the 90's.
When does your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie come out?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Well there was a person who once commented on a Zero Puntucation video with "Why does Yahtzee say 'Fuck you, got mine!' like its a bad thing?"
I'm really surprised there's only been one. "Fuck you, I've got mine" is pretty much the Internet's Creed.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Windknight said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
So where are those $250 million budgets going, anyway? Oh, right, advertising.

The thing here is that they're trying to give the illusion of "oh, we'd have loved to, but it just couldn't be done because of reasons", but the reality is "we just didn't care until we got called out for it and now it's too late, so here's some bullshit excuses we hope you'll buy, along with our game". What I really don't get, though, are the people who are saying "Well, it doesn't bother ME, so why are YOU complaining?". I can't tell if they're trying to defend their favorite franchises from criticism, or really just don't care about anyone's concerns but their own.
General myopia, lack of empathy, never having had to deal with actual prejudice slapping them in the face and affecting them in a very negative manner.

Some people just can't look outside of their own experiences and understand that things aren't as easy or nice for others who aren't just like them.
You can add to that list that many dudes here just hate feminists and other "social justice warriors" for... reasons... and consequentially, as soon as they see one of them speaking up about some issue, they'll grasp at any and all straw to argue against what they have to say. No matter how flimsy the straw.
Well, at least I want to believe that those people don't honestly believe all their bullshit arguments are actually true... but since you usually only hear these bullshit arguments in one specific context, I'm fairly "optimistic" here.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
I'd of called this a strawman fallacy, but if it's the angle some companies are coming from then I suppose all that's left to consider is whether they want to make playable females or whether they should for appeasement.

Tucking aside artistic integrity, perhaps the biggest mistake people can make is to think this "it's too hard" logic is actual, conventional reasoning explaining the industry's relative lack of playable females. Sounds like this is being blown out of proportion.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I'm still curious why ACU is getting slammed for this. Everyone is playing Arno... This is like judging halo 123 cause the 2nd player could only be masterchief... In this context yes creating a new model animations and v/o then making sure it works with everyones outfit is too much work.. Cause its essentially meaningless, I mean what would the game auto force someone's character to appear female?

Keep beating this horse guys really doesn't come across as petty at all. /s

Using the same criteria you guys are using to judge ACU you have a massive backlog to write about
starting say 2 gens ago with halo 1.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
T_ConX said:
Ok, enough sarcasm.
Those were strawmen more than sarcasm. Nobody that I can see is saying they absolutely cannot relate to a male character. But in the end, what does that change? And why does desire for female characters (in multiplayer only, at this point) bother you so much you have to misrepresent those who want it? And how are you any different?