Editorial: Stop Treating Us Like Idiots, Microsoft and EA

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I really wish EA didn't bother with Battlefront, Mass Effect, or Mirror's Edge because they games are too early in development to properly show. The catch is how much do you really want to see from their other games, I know seeing a little more from Dragon Age: Inquisition would have been nice, but I saw enough of Hardline to last me a lifetime.

I just wonder what the reaction would have been if they did what Ubisoft did years ago with Watch Dogs and make a presentation for Battlefront, Mass Effect, and Mirror's Edge that was pure CGI. Even if the response wasn't negative right now I can just see the comparisons to Ubisoft and "why didn't you learn anything"?

As far as who had the better or worse press conference I think they all were pretty average unless they were focusing on games you wanted specifically because then you would be excited to see the games you are waiting for.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
They won't stop if you keep giving them money (or sites stop accepting money to advertize for them)

Hyomoto

Jun 29, 2013
I understand complaints this article is being listed as news (despite saying editorial), but beyond that, if you actually sat through these press conferences there was obvious differences. I'm surprised, genuinely surprised, more people have not had complaints with Microsoft's show for what they said. Every single game was prefaced with 'we are listening, we totally listened, we are so humbled, this is such an honor for us'. Okay fine, what's next? Oh, cinematic trailers? CoD showed gameplay, if you want to call it that, of which the majority was game cinematic. So, we know it has graphics, great. The gameplay they showed was comatose.

The only people I can see being excited by what Microsoft did are exactly who it is painfully obvious they targeted, XBox One owners. Sure, if you own one they spent a great deal of time explaining to you why you were so right to do so, but to anyone on the outside it just looked like desperate apologies and time they could have spent showing games. They could have come out and hit the audience hard with games and gameplay, and when it was done dropped the mic and walked off stage. THAT would have been focusing on the games, and it would have been a great show.

Instead we got speeches and music videos. We learned if you are a fan of racing and shooting, rejoice! That's what you'll get on XBox One. No room for niche titles like Entwined, they spent less than a minute showing off their indie offerings while Sony gave one center stage. As a person who has yet to have a reason to buy either a XBONE or PS4, if I was basing my decision solely on their two conferences there is no contest. Microsoft delivered a dull, sanitized, boring, paint-by-numbers show. You could have easily swapped the videos out for spreadsheets and powerpoint slides for the same effect.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
balfore said:
While I've loved what I've seen from Ubisoft (even though its starting to look a lot like Online FPS everywhere)they genuinely got me excited. And Nintendo underwhelmed me. While I'll say I'm not a huge Nintendo fan but they are just releasing sequels to a console I don't have, or don't want to purchase for sequels.
Unlike other great developers who are releasing totally original Halos, Assassins Creeds, FIFAs, Battlefields, CODs, Uncharteds...
Not saying that Nintendo is doing better but that sounds like hypocrisy to me.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Nimzabaat said:
RedDeadFred said:
Nimzabaat said:
J Tyran said:
No offence intended and I am only trying to be objectively critical but why is this news? Its obviously an opinion piece that contains no news and is more suited to being posted as a feature or article rather than news.
A massively biased opinion piece at that. I mean, reading the article I can't really tell what Microsoft did differently than Sony other than being Microsoft. They're both teasing games that are coming out this year and next. They both have some titles that are expected and some that aren't. Maybe this is supposed to be satire?
For me, this really read like a fanboy rant. That might be too harsh but those were the vibes I was getting from it. In all honesty, Microsoft probably had an equally decent press conference as Sony. Sony's games were a bit more exciting but they also had a really boring middle section where all they talked about was numbers, stats, etc. John conveniently left that part out.

I will say this though, out of the major developers who were there, Ubisoft did impress me the most so I guess he was right about part of it. Although, this is all just my opinion too so take what you want from it.

As far as E3 as a whole has gone, nothing has wowed me to the point where I'm going "I need to get that console for this game." Every game that I'm interested in will either be on PC (The Witcher 3) and/or on previous generation consoles (Far Cry 4).
True enough! Though I couldn't help but notice that last year the complaint was that Microsoft wasn't talking about games. Now it's a complaint about Microsoft talking too much about games...

I also gotta say Ubisoft is getting pretty samey. I mean I liked AC4 and am enjoying Watch Dogs, but they're the same damn game. Even to the point that the faffing around is the best part. Well, with the exception of Watch Dogs: Gridlock Simulator (seriously the traffic AI needs a bit of work).
When I was referring to how Ubisoft had impressed me I was mostly referring to Far Cry 4. I loved Far Cry 3 and what they have shown of 4 looks pretty fantastic to me. I don't really care about the new AC (although I enjoyed Black Flag a lot).

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Nimzabaat said:
True enough! Though I couldn't help but notice that last year the complaint was that Microsoft wasn't talking about games. Now it's a complaint about Microsoft talking too much about games...

I also gotta say Ubisoft is getting pretty samey. I mean I liked AC4 and am enjoying Watch Dogs, but they're the same damn game. Even to the point that the faffing around is the best part. Well, with the exception of Watch Dogs: Gridlock Simulator (seriously the traffic AI needs a bit of work).
When I was referring to how Ubisoft had impressed me I was mostly referring to Far Cry 4. I loved Far Cry 3 and what they have shown of 4 looks pretty fantastic to me. I don't really care about the new AC (although I enjoyed Black Flag a lot).
Yeah, Far Cry 4 looks awesome. Honey. Badgers. Wait, my mistake. Weaponized. Honey. Badgers.

Still though, I liked Far Cry 3 for the running around on the island bit just as much as the story. Though it was a more equal spread than in AC4 or WD. Also... Far Cry seems to have far less mandatory auto/easy fail missions. I think I might be done with Watch Dogs already just because I suck at driving missions :(

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I kinda' hoped this was an article about Microsoft and EA shouting at us for treating them like morons.

I mean, they ARE morons, but they still must hate that.

My only real disappointment in this article, therefore, is that it isn't what I thought it was. I'm otherwise fine with it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Microsoft and EA will stop treating thier costumers like Idiots when their costumers stop acting like ones. If you keep preordering based on bullshots they keep giving you bullshots. if you keep praising them for a trialer they will continue to show it and if you keep treating E3 as anything but a showoff to shareholders then you will cotinue getting screwed over by what you see.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Most columns are opinion based, no need to press elitist views here.
thats hardly a good thing. just because most people do it does not make it a right thing. most people are racist, but im sure we would agre that we should not be racist just because most people are.