Editor's Note: Cataclysm

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cataclysm

John Funk reflects on the scope of Azeroth and how it is all being scraped away.

Read Full Article

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I left your youtube link open as I was reading...and I nostalgia'd pretty damn hard.

Durotar, the Barrens, Ashenvale, Redridge. They were all the places that I remember when I was first leveling my shaman to 60 when I was still in utter awe of the game. 'Tis bitter sweet...

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Actually, it's interesting that you bring the Barrens song up because to me, that music will stick with me forever... the Barrens' sparse, lyrical tune, the thumping drums of Orgrimmar, the spacey, tingly sounds of Silvermoon... and that insane discordant madness that is the tune of Everlook and, I later discovered, the dismembered city of Gnomeregan... I can't help but wonder if they will be changing much of the music. It scares me a little... when I find myself flying (!) through the Barrens in the not-so-distant future, will I ever be able to hum along to that french horn again?

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
It is funny how the expansion makes me nostalgic for a game that I had left behind years ago. I haven't been to my equivalent of your "small hill" for four years, and had never intended to return. In fact, I had never felt nostalgic until I discovered that that world would forever be changed. Funny how Blizzard can instill nostalgia like that.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I've still got all the screenshots I've taken since I started at the Launch of the Burning Crusade, and after looking through them there is one photo which is the equivalent to your hill; the first time I entered the gates of Stormwind on my level 7 Paladin. Good times, but long ago.

I recently created a new character (Night Elf Druid) for the specific purpose of seeing Azeroth for one last time[footnote]I even created a youtube video using screenshots of when I levelled as a memento[/footnote]. I didn?t focus on the fastest levelling route, instead opting to explore everywhere and subsequently getting the Explorer achievement. At times it was lonely, since the first time I traversed Azeroth it was always with friends, whom have all since left, but it was still good to see it as I remembered for that last time.

:'(

Danallighieri

Jun 3, 2010
I'ma miss the somewhat more pristine Ashenvale since the Horde are cutting it down and what not... (Horde here)

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I'm gonna be bitter about Southshore for a long time. It's not even an entire level of quests for the Alliance, but it's one of my favourite areas in the game; one of the nicest and most peaceful towns (battle for hillsbrad aside) and now it's going to be reduced to a poisonous chemical lake.

blackguard89

Aug 5, 2010
I started playing wow around the start of Burning Crusade too.
And aswell i have that little hill where i felt so small in that big world.
But now here comes Cataclysm and takes all that away from me.
I always feel nostalgic when a new low level player asks me where is this and that, because I know I searched for those things high and low for myself.

I honestly feel just like in the article.
:(

Tarrker

Jun 18, 2008
Captain Placeholder said:
3nimac said:
So, an entire issue devoted to, more or less, one game? sigh
I believe they have done this before. So why are you sighing about it now? Also, it is not just a game. It is a world in which millions of people have grown accustomed to. It is a universe where hundreds of millions around the world know. It is this world, Azeroth, which will be torn asunder by the coming of the cataclysm. All of our old hunting grounds will be destroyed and forever changed. Our favorite memories will be just that, memories.

While you think of it as just a "game". Millions of people like me believe it to be much, much more.
I too love WoW, but simply saying that it's "much much more" isn't something anyone but people like us WoWers will understand at all. WoW is unbelievably diverse. Even if you've played other MMO games there's really nothing else like it.

While I'm here... Where are all my Forsaken brothers and sisters? It seems like anyone I talk to about WoW is all about the Kalimdore action. My first character was undead and even when I make other characters, I usually run straight to Death Knell and play straight through into Tarren Mill. Not sure if it's true, but, I've heard that we're being split into two, different factions when the expansion comes out. Those still loyal to the Horde and those leaving it with our Dark Lady Sylvanas. Whichever side you choose just remember: patience, discipline.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
Oh God, you made me so sad.
I remember when I first arrived in Brill on my Undead Mage. The place was awesome, so atmospheric, and the background music was amazing. You could see the ruined spires of Lordaeron in the distance and the whole place was in a constant state of twilight.
I'm gonna miss the original WoW so much :(

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Psychosocial said:
So basica, this issue is just one large commercial for Cataclysm? bah
Er, if you consider every time we write about a given game to be advertising a game, I think you're really reading too much into things. We find Cataclysm a fascinating event given its magnitude (and the popularity of WoW), and the very real connection players have to this fictional world.

Kneel

Jan 5, 2010
My own 'small hill' was also in Durotar; during an early shaman quest you follow a hidden path - part of which overlooks eastern barrens - and I was absolutely astounded when I saw Ratchet and its bustling port from the Valley of Trials. Shortly after, the mountain atop which lay the Fire Totem questgiver, overlooking both Durotar and the Barrens, gave a similar sense of awe.

Absolutely epic, and profoundly nostalgia-inducing.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
3nimac said:
I believe they have done this before. So why are you sighing about it now? Also, it is not just a game. It is a world in which millions of people have grown accustomed to. It is a universe where hundreds of millions around the world know. It is this world, Azeroth, which will be torn asunder by the coming of the cataclysm. All of our old hunting grounds will be destroyed and forever changed. Our favorite memories will be just that, memories.

While you think of it as just a "game". Millions of people like me believe it to be much, much more.
Im sighing because this particular game just happens to have came from John Funks favorite studio, one massive studio that just happens to be releasing the expansion soon, oh look at the coincidence. Im sighing because this particular game already has a feature on this site called Chronicles of Cataclysm, where they write about, oh, the same thing. Im sighing because no matter how popular a game is, its not okay for a website like this that tries its best to rise above the conventions of major gaming sites with more in depth views to give one game (one studio) such special treatment. Im sighing because millions of people believe it to be more than a game.

For the record, i played it for 2 years.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
3nimac said:
3nimac said:

Im sighing because this particular game just happens to have came from John Funks favorite studio, one massive studio that just happens to be releasing the expansion soon, oh look at the coincidence. Im sighing because this particular game already has a feature on this site called Chronicles of Cataclysm, where they write about, oh, the same thing. Im sighing because no matter how popular a game is, its not okay for a website like this that tries its best to rise above the conventions of major gaming sites with more in depth views to give one game (one studio) such special treatment. Im sighing because millions of people believe it to be more than a game.

For the record, i played it for 2 years.
It's still a massive event in gaming that we haven't really seen the likes of before, not in a persistent virtual space - and as you can see here, it's something that has an effect on millions of gamers. We're not saying whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, we're covering it because it's very interesting and worth examining.

And for the record, this issue was not even my idea ;)

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Tarrker said:
3nimac said:

I too love WoW, but simply saying that it's "much much more" isn't something anyone but people like us WoWers will understand at all. WoW is unbelievably diverse. Even if you've played other MMO games there's really nothing else like it.

While I'm here... Where are all my Forsaken brothers and sisters? It seems like anyone I talk to about WoW is all about the Kalimdore action. My first character was undead and even when I make other characters, I usually run straight to Death Knell and play straight through into Tarren Mill. Not sure if it's true, but, I've heard that we're being split into two, different factions when the expansion comes out. Those still loyal to the Horde and those leaving it with our Dark Lady Sylvanas. Whichever side you choose just remember: patience, discipline.
Hear hear! As much as I love the troll design and story, my first real character (I made a tauren hunter very early that I quickly dumped) was an undead warlock, and I knew immediately that the quest lines and areas were much more what I was looking for. I was also quite disappointed lately when
They removed Varimathras and the abominations from Undercity. I grew up with his insults and various dungeon demands, and seeing him gone was very sad. I miss the slimy aura and gurgling noises of those abominations every time you ask them for directions too.

I spent almost all my time in Undercity... my hill was actually the other way around - the first time I arrived at the entrance hall to Undercity and the ruins of this old city with it's slimy river running through, the great throne and the broken statue (which I still climb on top of these days). It was just like - my emergence from the grave to this world.

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
It is quite silly, I haven't been in Durotar and the Barrens for so long (quit official WoW a year ago) and yet I felt a distinct tug at my heartstrings when I heard that music.
You have written true words, Mr. Funk.