Editor's Note: DIY

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Man Russ, you have no idea how long I've waited to hear that from this site. The New Vegas handling has been an absolute disaster every step of the way. I'd like to lay part of the blame on Microsoft on the 360 side of things too, as they had to approve that patch, but it's unreasonable to expect a single entity to do the kind of focused testing required for every game and patch released on their system. There has to be some kind of quality control guarantee, but 90% of the blame still lays with Obsidian.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Ouch Russ, that's a little harsh isn't it. I mean, they might deny you permission to write articles about their next bunch of screw ups in the Old World Blues Patch

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I considered making New Vegas a day one purchase, but then common sense got the better of me. Being an Obsidian game, I felt that there were probably going to be some bugs and would wait till they patched it. Little had I envisioned the fuckshow that would proceed and leave me waiting for over seven months. I doubt the situation will ever be rectified and I will never play this game that I was, at one point, very excited about.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Pffft. They always go back. Must be that I-don't-give-a-fuck badboy charm.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I never encountered a bug with New vegas. i also haven't played it for a while because it started to bore me.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
The best editorial this site has ever carried. Great stuff, love the whole breakup letter vibe, all the points were quite accurate and eloquently put.

Well, except your letting Neverwinter Nights 2 off the hook so easily. Even now, with all the expansions, it's a ridiculous bug riddled mess that I hold in higher contempt than New Vegas. NV seems an improvement to me, however minute.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
I must say... Brilliant. That has to be one of the best article's I've read here, and certainly the best Editor's Note.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I'm sorry, but Obsidian will always have a place in my heart. Maybe they should shift back to PC only development where patching is easier and, if necessary, able to be done after "Official" support is gone.

I think Obsidian's biggest (for lack of a better word) problem is that they try to do too much. All of their sequals are bigger and more adventurous then their predecessors and so they end up as buggy messes (though I've never had a problem). I would much rather have a company like Obsidian trying to push the boundries, but failing, then someone like Bioware who play it so safe its boring.

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
problem with obsidian its that they are like a bunch of excellent musicians being conducted by a chimp.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Haha, I giggled like a little girl when I scrolled down and read "And seriously, fuck you". Haven't read the article yet, but no article that ends in such a way can be bad <3
Gonna take a nap, then read it.

Apr 28, 2008
People do know that its Bethesda who handled the testing and is handling the patching of New Vegas, right?

But I understand. After, what, 4 buggy-ass games(that I can remember), perhaps its also something to do with you, Obsidian.

Yes, Lucasarts totally screwed you with Kotor 2, cutting off a year of planned development just so that they can get a Star Wars out in the holiday season.

Yes your Neverwinter Nights 2 expansions were easily the best parts of the whole franchise(seriously, these things are amazing).

Yes Alpha Protocol's branching story is just phenomenal, and shows how little other games branch despite their promises.

Yes New Vegas is more like a proper Fallout game, instead of a Wasteland explorer game with Fallout as the title.

But after many buggy games, there remains 1 constant. You.

Hopefully you fix that with Dungeon Siege 3. I don't have an interest in the game myself, but as I've already said, if you can really release it with a relatively low about of bugs, I will buy it twice.

Alright, so when do we send Bethesda a message about their bugs and how pretty visuals aren't enough for a game and that it needs an interesting story and characters as well?

doriant

Aug 14, 2010
Really sad that some of my favorite game studios can't make a game that outright stops working at some points. Looking at you as well, Bethesda.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Russ Pitts said:
Editor's Note: DIY

You've burned your last bit of goodwill, Obsidian.

Read Full Article
I think whatever editor ends a nice letter, packed with memories, adventure and betrayal, with the phrase "And seriously, fuck you." is one I would have no qualms in working for.

Well done, Mr. Pitts. At least someone in this industry has the passion to say "Oh, you companies don't give a rat's ass about your consumers? Fuck right off." and also has the stones to put it that bluntly.

toquio3

Nov 7, 2006
Thank you! Oh man, how I relished reading this. Everything I feel about Obsidian, and have felt since kotor2, all the way up to New Vegas.

Obsidian is great at telling stories, but awful at making games.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
ilion said:
problem with obsidian its that they are like a bunch of excellent musicians being conducted by a chimp.
That would imply that there was only one weak link. I think it's more like one part chain mail and one part tin foil chain mail.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I'm gonna wait and see how Dungeon Siege 3 is before having a definitive impression of the studio as a whole. Then again, Alpha Protocol was their first game I played, and I fell in love. So maybe I'm just starting the path that Russ has been on and will find that same disappointment.

That or I'm getting sloppy seconds.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
thats right i dont care if a game has to come out 2 months late a broken product is worse than no product. a broken product will piss me off and make me feel like ive wased my time. with no product ill be patient and do other things, with anticipation.