Eidos Confirms New Lead Voice Actor For Thief

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
kailus13 said:
Korten12 said:
They stated some actions make you go into third person but majority of the time your in first person...
So they're messing with the camera, thus ruining any sense of immersion and flow? Everything I hear about this game makes it seem worse.

Ehh, I wouldn't be so pessimistic yet. There's a bunch of 3rd person stuff in Human Revolution as well, and that worked out much better than I would have though (and I'm a massive fan of the original Deus Ex). It makes even more sense in Thief since there's a fair bit of acrobatics to be done. I just hope they don't get rid of the light/darkness stealth mechanic like they did in HR. It worked in HR, but it's too much of a core Thief mechanic.

I do hope to god that 3rd person stuff doesn't mean combat and action stuff or some horrible parkour thingy. The guys at Eidos aren't stupid enough to try that... Right?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
VladG said:
kailus13 said:
Korten12 said:
They stated some actions make you go into third person but majority of the time your in first person...
So they're messing with the camera, thus ruining any sense of immersion and flow? Everything I hear about this game makes it seem worse.

Ehh, I wouldn't be so pessimistic yet. There's a bunch of 3rd person stuff in Human Revolution as well, and that worked out much better than I would have though (and I'm a massive fan of the original Deus Ex). It makes even more sense in Thief since there's a fair bit of acrobatics to be done. I just hope they don't get rid of the light/darkness stealth mechanic like they did in HR. It worked in HR, but it's too much of a core Thief mechanic.

I do hope to god that 3rd person stuff doesn't mean combat and action stuff or some horrible parkour thingy. The guys at Eidos aren't stupid enough to try that... Right?
Why does it need acrobatics though? You can complete the entirety of Thief 2 at walking pace if you're good enough!

As to the parkour, they're already stealing the plot from Dishonored.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
kailus13 said:
VladG said:
kailus13 said:
Korten12 said:

Why does it need acrobatics though? You can complete the entirety of Thief 2 at walking pace if you're good enough!

As to the parkour, they're already stealing the plot from Dishonored.
You *could* complete the game at walking pace, sure. You could also stack up on Rope Arrows and explore, jump from chandelier to roof-beam and giggle (obviously in a gruff, ironic way) at the silly guards walking obliviously below. Quite frankly that's one of aspects that made the game great: exploration and diversity.

Again, I've seen a better implementation than I would have expected of this limited 3rd person thing in Human Revolution, so I am at least willing to give Eidos the benefit of the doubt. It's also encouraging that they said most of the game will be in first person.

As long as they stick to the core aspects of Thief, I don't mind a little eye-candy.

I actually expect most of this mo-cap work will be done for the cutscenes. There's some evidence to suggest that they might use some high-quality in engine work instead of videos. A fine line to walk, certainly, since the subtle, very lightly animated cutscenes in the other games worked really well with the whole theme and style of the game.

wulfgar_red

Mar 15, 2013
everyone know that mark hamill and kevin conroy were hired by batman devs to make all motioncap stuns... wait... ooooohh

PS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGkiolDeE0
i guess for edios fans are not important...

PS2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=a6zqFsYuhX4#t=25s

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
VladG said:
You *could* complete the game at walking pace, sure. You could also stack up on Rope Arrows and explore, jump from chandelier to roof-beam and giggle (obviously in a gruff, ironic way) at the silly guards walking obliviously below. Quite frankly that's one of aspects that made the game great: exploration and diversity.
Why have I never tried this before? You sir are now my friend.

VladG said:
Again, I've seen a better implementation than I would have expected of this limited 3rd person thing in Human Revolution, so I am at least willing to give Eidos the benefit of the doubt. It's also encouraging that they said most of the game will be in first person.

As long as they stick to the core aspects of Thief, I don't mind a little eye-candy.

I actually expect most of this mo-cap work will be done for the cutscenes. There's some evidence to suggest that they might use some high-quality in engine work instead of videos. A fine line to walk, certainly, since the subtle, very lightly animated cutscenes in the other games worked really well with the whole theme and style of the game.
Those cutscenes were the only thing I didn't like about the previous games. They just seemed so stilted.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
In the words of Penny Arcade's own Tycho Brahe, "Loot at what you've done! NOW MY BRAIN IS COMING OUT."
Games industry, you are Literally Trying To Kill Me. David Hayter not voicing Snake in the next Metal Gear, Lucasarts closed down and Star Wars 1313 cancelled, and now new voice actor for Garrett, and for seemingly stupid reasons. So many things that give me just a slight little urge to start slamming my head against the wall.
Until this game comes out and I can play it for myself, I'm gonna go skulk in the corner and continue being pessimistic.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So let me see:

-Compound bow? Check.
Does it fold? Check.

-Emphasis on action? Check
Use of slow motion? Check

VladG said:
You mean cover-based stealth?

It was great but gave you godlike powers. It removed any real tension of getting caught as you see them without you getting seen.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
kailus13 said:

The chandelier and wall beam hopping thing you could do really well in a later mission, somewhere in a manor house right before or after a seaside/dock type level if memory serves (damn you modern PC, why won't you run my Thief?!). It also gave you great access to the side rooms without having to disturb doors. But a lot of levels have quite a bit of verticality in them if you explore.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Zombine3D said:
but in bioshock infinite, Elizabeth had 1 person for mo-cap, 1 person for voice, and 1 person for face... What the hell. This is like what the russian bastards did with Postal 3 - kill off the game and not even look for the original voice actor (Rick Hunter).
at least this is a reboot. and no pre-order untill Yahtzee gives it at least as good as Thief 2!!!

Well, for one thing you'd be hard pressed to pre-order a game that's already been out for a while. Unless you invent time travel (and wouldn't that shove a big black steel cock up the arses of all the assholes who call gaming a childish time waste).

Also it won't be as good as Thief II. It simply can't. There isn't enough of an audience today for a AAA game like that to be actually profitable.

Most gamers lack the patience and the mindset to deal with a true Thief game, and I don't see Eidos pumping a ton of money into a niche game.

That being said, it doesn't mean that the next Thief can't be a good game. Human Revolution showed us that (or at least it would have if they could have actually finished the game instead of cutting it half way through and covering the stump with the world's crappiest ending)

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Formica Archonis said:
kailus13 said:
Formica Archonis said:
OH FUCK BOBBY KOTICK IMAGE IN MY HEAD NEED BRAIN BLEACH
Can someone good at photoshop get on this please.
I already stuck spark tits on a guy for this site once, not doing it again!
I asked for bikini, not spark tits! But please do elaborate on the matter.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"We did this because it's what you wanted despite the fact that you never said it was.

Also, you can't return our gift."

Eidos: We Asked For This But They Just Shit In A Box And Pretended It Was The Same Thing

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
kailus13 said:
I asked for bikini, not spark tits! But please do elaborate on the matter.
I got a bit weird in the comments to a news item and then-Editor-in-Chief (current Features Editor for Polygon) Russ Pitts had an impromptu contest. Winners got "something awesome", which turned out to be a sexy sexy badge.

Perhaps the thread had best speak for itself: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.298866.11865080

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Christ everyone really jumping the gun on this one, "Ill by it at sale price", "i wont buy it at all", "there no stealth". how the fuck do you know, you dont you fucking dont, no on does! there has been no footage from the game besids this trailer and your acting like you have some future knowledge. grow the fuck up, i get it you like the old actor i like him too he was cool but this is a new fucking game, let them do what they think is right and well see when it come out. it could be shit or it could be great we dont know we have seen nothing of it yet, so lets wait.

Mar 26, 2008
I call bullshit on this, it all boils down to economics. They didn't want to pay two separate people, one for the mo-cap and one for the voice acting. If they could pay one bloke to do both they save money.

I'm really disappointed, the same way I am about Splinter Cell: Blacklist. It certainly doesn't "wreck" the game but it makes me less enthusiastic about it.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
VladG said:
kailus13 said:

damn you modern PC, why won't you run my Thief?!
Download Tfix. I'm playing through Thief at 1920x1080!

Also the new Thief is starting to sound like Dishonored and Deus Ex: HR mixed together. Both enjoyable games, but they aren't Thief. I'm not looking through nostalgia goggles I just picked up the collection on a steam sale and thought they were awesome.