Eidos Outsourced Those Deux Ex: HR Boss Fights

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
I haven't understood the complaints about the boss fights from the start. I guess some players blame the game for their sucking.

The first two Deus Ex game's bosses were the same way. You couldn't sneak past Agent Navarro in the airplane. You could do things like blockade the door to prevent her script from firing or mine Gunther's route so he dies before force-greeting but those are bug exploits, not intentional gameplay methods.

Also, for folks who ***** about wanting to speak/sneak/hack to win fights there are several conversations that're effectively speech challenge boss confrontations. I loved those. You've a dichotomy between talking folks down and fighting them as opposed to character's like The Master you can defeat by the method of your choosing but I'm fine with having characters you can only defeat one way or another. Hacking isn't very viable during combat b/c you can be hurth while hacking in Human Revolution and a sneaking option would just mean skipping the boss battle. You can turn invisible to get to cover, avoid combat, and regenerate so it's still viable.

Even on the "Give me Deus Ex" setting my complaints w/the boss battles are
1) They were really easy. Set off a few maxed Typhoons and it's over in under a minute.
2) Worse set-ups. The bosses are just mercenaries you're getting revenge on and a chick who escaped in cutscenes. Each of Deus Ex's boss characters had alot of set-up before you fought them. You knew who they were, had worked with them in some cases, understood their motivations, had events which had changed your relationship, and the battles felt significant because of these elements.

Finally, I feel bad for this guy and his team/Eidos. Supposedly there's alot of different behaviours the bosses can switch between but I didn't notice an AI improvement vs. any shooter I've played in the 2000s.

Trelmayas

Dec 8, 2009
The boss battles weren't bad in and of themselves. They were bad because they didn't flow with the rest of the game. The characters themselves weren't introduced in any meaningful way, and the player was bottlenecked into a toe to toe fight with them in an otherwise open game. So in my estimation, this whole thing is completely Eidos fault. They farmed out work without clearly communicating what they wanted.

Incidentally, I didn't ave much problem with the bosses, because in games like this, I'm always paranoid about overspecialization. I was mostly stealth/non-lethal, but I tried to balance my build, and always kept 2 or three points open in case I needed a specific augmentation in a specific situation. This came in handy in more than just the boss fights.

Ultimately, Eidos failed to communicate what they wanted, and signed off on what was delivered.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
GeorgW said:
Eidos dude 1: "People are disliking one thing about our amazing game! How can we avoid the criticism while still garnering the love from the rest of the game?"
Eidos dude 2: "Let's blame it on someone!"
Eidos dude 1: "Promote that man!"

This is all well and good, but it seems just a little too convenient. Still, I love Eidos, and the blame should be dealt equally.
That the boss fights are outsourced isn't news, you know? It has actually been a known fact for quite a while.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Athinira said:
GeorgW said:
Eidos dude 1: "People are disliking one thing about our amazing game! How can we avoid the criticism while still garnering the love from the rest of the game?"

This is all well and good, but it seems just a little too convenient. Still, I love Eidos, and the blame should be dealt equally.
That the boss fights are outsourced isn't news, you know? It has actually been a known fact for quite a while.
And you do know that this post was made in September?

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
GeorgW said:
Athinira said:
GeorgW said:

And you do know that this post was made in September?
No, didn't look.

Screw old threads who pop up on the front page >_> :)