Elden Ring Impressions - It's Got Crafting Now.

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
Well I guess the Dark souls style is really not my cup of tea, I played at a friend and 30-45 min in I just got frustated and I wasnt having fun, just way too hard its wasnt interesting at all.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yet another series sacrificed to bloat on the altar of open world. Why does every game need to be open world now? I like my games to be concise and tightly designed. The intricate and overlapping level design is what made Dark Souls great, and you just can't do that (and I wouldn't want it anyway) on a map the size of Manhattan.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Yet another series sacrificed to bloat on the altar of open world. Why does every game need to be open world now? I like my games to be concise and tightly designed. The intricate and overlapping level design is what made Dark Souls great, and you just can't do that (and I wouldn't want it anyway) on a map the size of Manhattan.
I agree.

The open world just does not fit the souls formula that well tbh. And there is a sacrifice made in order to let the player do basically whatever this time around. Now there is just a randomness to everything that builds a frustration level to the player with a game this hard.

However they did a good job giving the sense of discovery to the game. So while the tight level design is gone, the trade off is a freedom unlike anything before it. Breath of the Wild had this but with much simpler gameplay and a core loop that was the same everywhere you went. With elden ring there is a variety to what youll fight and how you solve dungeons that i think saves the game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’m still early on at less than 10 hours in, but there was at least one part of the open world that had me pleasantly surprised, as in reminding me of classic Miyazaki design. The horse wind jumps are pretty cool too. Hoping some dungeons have more surprises.

Also as an aside, finally ran into some performance issues on PS4. It was at the area by the bridge where the trolls are pulling the carriage and specifically involved knocking a knight off his horse while I’m also on horseback. There was noticeable slowdown while he, let’s just say got acquainted with being on foot. Also another nearby spot with a bunch of wolves running through a field near a camp, their animations looked choppy when they were a ways off.

Reactions: BrawlMan

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I guess I should ask how bad invasions are in ER because I honestly have a lot more issues with griefing then trolling yet the fanbase often defends the griefing mechanic. It's one of many reasons I refuse to touch DS2 again because it felt like griefer heaven

I can ignore bad advice. I can't ignore some asshole dropping in to ruin my game of which I have no way to escape beyond quit out of the game
Yeah. It's one thing if griefing occurs because of the griefers exploiting the system in a way that wasn't intended, it's quite another when griefing is a deliberate mechanic of the game like invasions. I immediately shut off any online mechanics of the game the moment I can for exactly this reason.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah. It's one thing if griefing occurs because of the griefers exploiting the system in a way that wasn't intended, it's quite another when griefing is a deliberate mechanic of the game like invasions. I immediately shut off any online mechanics of the game the moment I can for exactly this reason.

I am heartened by the fact FROM seems to realize this and has shifted the advantage to the invaded rather then the invader to curb it somewhat. At least that's the impression hearing griefers constantly whine about it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I found this passage intriguing-
When I asked whether his family had played his games, he laughed and pointed out that his daughter was three. “Not quite old enough,” he said. But there was another reason: Miyazaki worried that his work, behind its abstractions, contained something too personal to reveal. Total control, it seems, risked total exposure. “I don’t want to let my family play my games, because I feel like they’d see a bad part of me, something that’s almost unsavory,” he said. “I don’t know. I’d feel embarrassed. So I say: no Dark Souls in the house.”

So, “unsavory”…
?

Or
?

Guessing the latter.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I found this passage intriguing-
When I asked whether his family had played his games, he laughed and pointed out that his daughter was three. “Not quite old enough,” he said. But there was another reason: Miyazaki worried that his work, behind its abstractions, contained something too personal to reveal. Total control, it seems, risked total exposure. “I don’t want to let my family play my games, because I feel like they’d see a bad part of me, something that’s almost unsavory,” he said. “I don’t know. I’d feel embarrassed. So I say: no Dark Souls in the house.”

So, “unsavory”…
?

Or
?

Guessing the latter.
Second image broken for me.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I guess I should ask how bad invasions are in ER because I honestly have a lot more issues with griefing then trolling yet the fanbase often defends the griefing mechanic. It's one of many reasons I refuse to touch DS2 again because it felt like griefer heaven

I can ignore bad advice. I can't ignore some asshole dropping in to ruin my game of which I have no way to escape beyond quit out of the game
I'm not sure you can be invaded by players unless you open yourself up to it. Like, I think you need to use an item to even be able to be invaded, at least, I've only been invaded by ai characters so far and I have like 30 hours in the game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm not sure you can be invaded by players unless you open yourself up to it. Like, I think you need to use an item to even be able to be invaded, at least, I've only been invaded by ai characters so far and I have like 30 hours in the game.
I was invaded only once the other night, and right when I was going to retrieve my runes. Then the invader just returned to their world, which had me breathing a sigh of relief because I was able to level five times with that stash.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I was invaded only once the other night, and right when I was going to retrieve my runes. Then the invader just returned to their world, which had me breathing a sigh of relief because I was able to level five times with that stash.
After 15 or so hours I haven't seen a single invasion, and to be frank I don't even know the mechanism to invade another world. If it needs an item I haven't found it yet.

Based on what I've seen and heard from other players I think this side of the game has pushed more into "voluntary PvP" rather than ceaseless stress.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Pushing 40+ hours and no invasions for me, just a couple of dickhead npc's one of which summoned a friendly invader to help which would have been usefull if i hadn't 1-shot the invader who can't handle my +15 bastard sword. HAA Fucking rekt!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Did you use an item or something for it to happen?

After 15 or so hours I haven't seen a single invasion, and to be frank I don't even know the mechanism to invade another world. If it needs an item I haven't found it yet.

Based on what I've seen and heard from other players I think this side of the game has pushed more into "voluntary PvP" rather than ceaseless stress.
I think you need to use bloody fingers to invade.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Did you use an item or something for it to happen?

I think you need to use bloody fingers to invade.
I was thinking about this and I wonder if a huge map plus a level based matching system makes invasions extremely rare just on the basis that the chances of someone following the same game-path as you, at the same level and in the same server region is very unlikely.

Like, I know I'm underleveled for where I am on the map but I can't imagine how I would realistically hit that sweet spot without following a rigidly defined path through the whole game. If people are playing this game like most people play Skyrim or BotW then syncing should be fairly difficult.