Elder Scrolls Online Will Segregate PC, Console Players

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Elder Scrolls Online Will Segregate PC, Console Players

The Elder Scrolls Online will have separate servers for console, PC and Mac players in order to ensure a level playing field for PvP combat.

Bethesda Softworks is developing The Elder Scrolls Online for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC and Mac, but sadly that doesn't mean we can look forward to an online commingling of buttons and mice in the world of Tamriel. While the game will be multiplatform, it will employ separate "megaservers" for Xbox One and PS4 players, while PC and Mac gamers will share a third, separate online realm between them.

Creative Director Paul Sage told Polygon that the separate server environments are being used in order to ensure fairness in PvP encounters. The mouse and keyboard setup used by PC and Mac gamers would presumably give them a serious advantage over controllers, which - speaking in broad generalities and without meaning to cause offense - are a slower and less precise way to get things done.

"PC is still untouchable, it's the PC," said Sage. "We're working to perfect UI and gameplay specific to the PC version of Elder Scrolls Online and the console version will have its own UI and be more controller-specific, but PC is going nowhere."

This isn't actually the first time PC and console gamers have been kept apart over issues of control; in 2010 it was reported by "reliable sources" that Microsoft had pulled the plug [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102261-Rumor-Microsoft-Killed-PC-Xbox-Cross-Platform-Play] on cross-platform play between the Xbox 360 and PC because PC gamers were "destroying" controller-equipped console players with embarrassing regularity.

Sources: Polygon [http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/kw/megaserver%20console]

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Oh boy, and the posts just to start trouble have already started...

OT: Probably good for PvP, just to keep it even. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes with melee combat, but with FPS games, PC gamers have a huge advantage. Smart move on their part.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Good.

That means they can drop console support and keep the game going provided they coded their engine with scalability in mind. You know, assuming the game survives long enough for that to be a concern.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
For a moment I thought Xbone and PS4 players would be playing with each other =/
This would be something worth watching. I can see the players self imposing a Horde/Alliance type faction between themselves with XBone on one side and PS4 on the other.

OT: Fair enough, as long as they don't pull bullshit timed exclusives for expansions and content, there shouldn't really be a problem with this.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Oh great, first comment and already we've got someone setting small brush fires. *puts on flame suit* >.>

OT: I really don't see much problem with this at all, and as long as there is no timed exclusive BS *looking at you Microsoft* then all should be good.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
VanQ said:
DVS BSTrD said:
For a moment I thought Xbone and PS4 players would be playing with each other =/
This would be something worth watching. I can see the players self imposing a Horde/Alliance type faction between themselves with XBone on one side and PS4 on the other.
"MAH D-PAD EZ STRONGER!"
DON'T YOU MAKE ME SHARE BUTTON YOUR HUMILIATING DEFEAT, PLEB!

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
They should separate PS and Xbox players too, Xbox people will dominate using their awesome kinect controls and voice commands! (sarcasm)

Don't consoles support usb keyboard and mouse though? sometimes, maybe?

also appropriate:

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
PC elitists... sigh. Seriously though I agree mouse/kb can be more precise... I wish there was a way to have movement bound to a wii-chuck analog-like stick with buttons and a mouse for look. I feel more in control of rate of movement with an analog stick vs. a 0 or 1 keypress.
Hybrid gamer FTW.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Oh God Andy, you're begging for the flood gates to be open!
*runs and hides*

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Johnson McGee said:
Some games do, but I don't think very many do. I think Unreal Tournament 3 did, and I had used a mouse for one part of Dirge of Cerberus on PS2.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
amaranth_dru said:
PC elitists... sigh. Seriously though I agree mouse/kb can be more precise... I wish there was a way to have movement bound to a wii-chuck analog-like stick with buttons and a mouse for look. I feel more in control of rate of movement with an analog stick vs. a 0 or 1 keypress.
Hybrid gamer FTW.
It already exists my good man.
OT: Is this really such a huge concern with an MMO? I guess it depends what the combat is like. I can see PC having the advantage in WoW, but even other hotbar MMOs shouldn't be *too* much of an issue, right?

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Johnson McGee said:
They should separate PS and Xbox players too, Xbox people will dominate using their awesome kinect controls and voice commands! (sarcasm)

also appropriate:
This is my favorite summary of pc vs consoles

On topic, this seems fair. It wouldn't surpise me to see pc users crush console plebs users because they have more skill. To me, kb+m vs controllers are like driving a stick vs automatic. Sure, you get better benefits from driving a stick, that doesn't mean I care or want to learn how. I'll stick with my controller so I can play from bed or in a chair

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
My mouse/keyboard/keypad configuration costs as much as a PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if that beat a fifty-dollar control pad in a similar game.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Wait, wait... this is going to be on Mac? O_O

Oh, wait, of course it is, because they're trying to compete with World of Warcraft, one of the few big-budget games with a Mac userbase in the world.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Wouldn't it just be less hassle at this point to just incorporate keyboard and mouse compatibility to the consoles? I mean hell the PlayStation had its own mouse peripheral and that was before the golden dawn of USB jacks!