Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
No, you've been claiming "obviously filled with fraud" for 90% of this thread. Only in the last page or 2 have you backpedaled to "irregular." You do realize this isn't a chan board and we can all see previous posts, right?
I think this particular thing is a irregular. I do not think that this particular thing is the only thing that exists.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So just to be clear, one of Trump's legal arguments that he's put before the Supreme Court is thus: "He won 18 of the country's 19 so-called 'bellwether' counties—counties whose vote, historically, almost always goes for the candidate who wins the election."

He is arguing, in a legal brief, that because he won those counties, he must have won the election, because anyone who wins those counties almost always wins the election, and therefore not winning the election is proof of fraud.

I always feed my fish before the Patriots win the Super Bowl, but this time I fed my fish and the Patriots didn't win the Super Bowl, so obviously the Patriots were cheated out of their victory!

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So just to be clear, one of Trump's legal arguments that he's put before the Supreme Court is thus: "He won 18 of the country's 19 so-called 'bellwether' counties—counties whose vote, historically, almost always goes for the candidate who wins the election."

He is arguing, in a legal brief, that because he won those counties, he must have won the election, because anyone who wins those counties almost always wins the election, and therefore not winning the election is proof of fraud.
I'm pretty sure that's not the central argument, just one of many.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Ok question. Have we actually found out why some listed counties got postal votes but 0 registered voters in them yet?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Ok question. Have we actually found out why some listed counties got postal votes but 0 registered voters in them yet?
I've never heard of that. I wonder how that works. Can people just show up to vote, and then that counts, or do you have to register in advance?

Also, Colorado looks into "Legitimate concerns"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've never heard of that. I wonder how that works. Can people just show up to vote, and then that counts, or do you have to register in advance?

Also, Colorado looks into "Legitimate concerns"
Could be that they register on the day at the polling station and those records have not yet been updated.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I hate to feed this nonsense, but I can't help but be bemused that when Trump won against expectations, it's because he was the outsider, the black horse, the system disruptor, etc.

But when he fails to win a reelection suddenly the math and probabilities are skewed, this make no sense, fraud, foul play!

Here's the thing. You can't be the outsider who disrupts the system, then use historical data about election stats to show how these results are different. That's how it works. You were the wild card, so you cant point at past probabilities in your defense.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Modern day treason?
It's certainly one in the eye for "states' rights". Apparently states shouldn't have the right to put forward their support for presidents Texas doesn't want them to.

This Texas lawsuit is probably one of the most unwise and divisive lawsuits ever raised in the USA. Texas - later joined by others - is officially seeking to trample over the independence of other states. This is the sort of stuff that will lead to secessions and civil wars.

So are the bellwether counties the same as they were at the first US presidential election, or even 1950? If not, it is proof that bellwether counties do not remain bellwether counties, and the argument is null and void.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So ... Civil War 2: Election Boogaloo? I mean, they're already announcing the teams. Seeing a lot of returning players from the last edition.

Either way, it's going to be the pay per view event of the century.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Texas replied in the SCOTUS case:

" Texas does not ask this Court to reelect President Trump, and Texas does not seek to disenfranchise the majority of Defendant States’ voters. To both points, Texas asks this Court to recognize the obvious fact that Defendant States’ maladministration of the 2020 election makes it impossible to know which candidate garnered the majority of lawful votes. "

" Not acting incentivizes further lawlessness and will drive honest voters from the polls: why should anyone vote if a few urban centers will manufacture an unlawful and insuperable vote margin? "

" Defendant States do not seriously address grave issues that Texas raises, choosing to hide behind other court venues and decisions in which Texas could not participate and to mischaracterize both the relief that Texas seeks and the justification for that relief. An injunction should issue because Defendant States have not—and cannot—defend their actions. "

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
" Not acting incentivizes further lawlessness and will drive honest voters from the polls: why should anyone vote if a few urban centers will manufacture an unlawful and insuperable vote margin? "
I'm hoping this argument gains a lot of traction among Republican voters in Georgia.

" Defendant States do not seriously address grave issues that Texas raises, choosing to hide behind other court venues and decisions in which Texas could not participate
How strange! To think Texas could not participate in other states' judiciary processes, concerning matters that are supposed to be up to individual states to administer!

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Texas replied in the SCOTUS case:

" Texas does not ask this Court to reelect President Trump, and Texas does not seek to disenfranchise the majority of Defendant States’ voters. To both points, Texas asks this Court to recognize the obvious fact that Defendant States’ maladministration of the 2020 election makes it impossible to know which candidate garnered the majority of lawful votes. "

" Defendant States do not seriously address grave issues that Texas raises, choosing to hide behind other court venues and decisions in which Texas could not participate and to mischaracterize both the relief that Texas seeks and the justification for that relief. An injunction should issue because Defendant States have not—and cannot—defend their actions. "
So basically they're doing everything they insist they're not doing.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
In other words, they mean Democrats. (Or perhaps "non-whites", or both.) Because that what "a few urban centers" really means.

And herein lies a core dishonesty. The voting system is the same across the whole state, so the same hypothetical opportunity for cheating exists in a mass of rural counties, too. It is patently absurd to assume cheating in one place and yet not another using the same system, and the Republicans plainly are not applying equal scrutiny to rural (i.e. Republican) counties.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Yes, him, like everyone else on the left, are changing their tunes about mail-in ballots. That's what I said before, isn't it?
On the left? Then why did Trump's lawyers explicitly tell the courts that they're not alleging voter fraud? And why is there still no evidence of large scale voter fraud? It seems to me that the right also recognizes that there's nothing wrong with mail-in ballots. They just don't like them because it makes voting easier. Which is consistent with Republican agenda of making it more difficult to vote.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Then why did Trump's lawyers explicitly tell the courts that they're not alleging voter fraud?
Because other arguments are more defensible in court.

And why is there still no evidence of large scale voter fraud?
Watch the hearings, and see witnesses give testimony for 4,6,7,8 hours each. The only way you can think that there's "no evidence" is if you either haven't been paying attention or that, you have a creative definition of "large scale".

In other words, they mean Democrats. (Or perhaps "non-whites", or both.) Because that what "a few urban centers" really means.

And herein lies a core dishonesty. The voting system is the same across the whole state, so the same hypothetical opportunity for cheating exists in a mass of rural counties, too. It is patently absurd to assume cheating in one place and yet not another using the same system, and the Republicans plainly are not applying equal scrutiny to rural (i.e. Republican) counties.
That's kind of like saying "why are you complaining that people can get away with crimes? Just go commit your own!"
The "urban centers" are "committing crimes" and getting away with it. Yes, the opportunity exists elsewhere.

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Apparently the "states" of "New California" and "New Nevada" have hopped on the Texas train:

So, Republicans in California are trying to make their own state?

Status
Not open for further replies.