Electric Eels Have "Mind Control" Powers

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Electric Eels Have "Mind Control" Powers

Electric eels can apparently use their electricity to remotely control prey, which from all outward appearances looks like a psychic attack.

Electric eels already had special abilities that made them <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/x-men?from_search=1>superpowered mutants of the animal kingdom. It's in the name, after all; they can generate up to 650 volts of <a hreef=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/electricity?from_search=1>electricity from their bodies for attacking enemies or generating sonar for navigation. But it turns out this electricity gives them access to a far stranger ability: a newly discovered mind control that leaves prey utterly helpless.

"Fish are amazing escape artists," Vanderbilt University biologist Kenneth Catania explained. "If the electric eel didn't have this capability, it would have a really hard time catching something to eat. The mechanism is the same as a taser."

In a study published by Science Magazine, Catania revealed that electric eels can use electricity to remotely control their prey. First, the eels releases low-voltage electric pulses that causes nearby fish muscles to spasm. Once the eel picks up on the fish's involuntary movements, it cuts loose with high-voltage pulses that forces muscles to contract. These contractions completely halt the fish's movement, at which point the eel can feed without worrying its prey will escape.

Electric eels (which technically aren't eels, but a form of knifefish) generate electrical impulses using three organs along the abdomen. While two are used for generating sonar, it's this third organ that can take out prey at a staggeringly fast three milliseconds. Without knowing about these organs, the phenomenon probably looked like some kind of psychic attack that caused fish to surrender immediately.

Electric eel shocks usually aren't fatal to humans, but you'll forgive me if I'm still reluctant to visit one for a "mind-reading" session.

Source: National Geographic

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
So they don't affect the mind or brain in any way, shape or form. They just shock them.

>_>

So what you're saying is...

They're electric... eels.

I see.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I guess it is a slow news day?

Fanghawk said:
The mechanism is the same as a taser.
How does this translate to psychic ability?
I'm all for science is awesome news but you just reported that an electric eel is indeed utilizing electricity?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Fanghawk said:
Electric eel shocks usually aren't fatal to humans, but you're forgive me if I'm still reluctant to visit one for a "mind-reading" session.
Electric Eel: I can see your future, you are in for quite a shock.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
My eyes cannot possibly roll further back into my head. Its a pretty huge jump from 'shocking something to stun it for feeding' to 'Using mind control tactics.'
Or is this a troll? Its got to be a troll, right?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
My eyes cannot possibly roll further back into my head. Its a pretty huge jump from 'shocking something to stun it for feeding' to 'Using mind control tactics.'
Or is this a troll? Its got to be a troll, right?
The Escapist is doing their darndest to join Kotaku in the "gaming sites that are basically blogs" ranks. I don't mind, personally. I enjoy both in all their "Not really news, just entertainment" glory.

Apr 5, 2008
Why do humans suck so much compared to so many other species? Claws, camouflage, flight, super speed, underwater breathing, mimicry....What do we get? Opposable thumbs. Oooh, go humans. :-(

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
KingsGambit said:
Why do humans suck so much compared to so many other species? Claws, camouflage, flight, super speed, underwater breathing, mimicry....What do we get? Opposable thumbs. Oooh, go humans. :-(
Humans have minds, we can build spears, bows... atomic bombs stuck on top of missiles that can reach practically anywhere in the world. They can keep their fangs and claws, tools>natural abilities.

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
KingsGambit said:
-All terrain capabilities, plenty of animals can't swim, like Gorillas, we can run, climb and swim.
-Higher stamina, a man out raced a horse knowing this
-Fighting, Biting, Eye-gouging

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
So, police who use a taser are exhibiting "mind control" powers? That's... impressive.

I'm sure there's absolutely no way to clickbait that into another grotesquely misleading article title.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
I guess electric eels DO have mind control powers then.

They've just used them to alter the article that was about to reveal them so that it appears to be just another piece of clickbait using convoluted logic to arrive at a catchy title unrelated to subject matter. All fear the electric eel illuminati!

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
What a completely absurd title. Just like that stupid "God Particle" crap.

These seems to be getting more common here. I am disappoint.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Lotet said:
KingsGambit said:
-All terrain capabilities, plenty of animals can't swim, like Gorillas, we can run, climb and swim.
-Higher stamina, a man out raced a horse knowing this
-Fighting, Biting, Eye-gouging
also all this smartitude is great too

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Perhaps Electric Eels dont "Mind Control" powers, but The Escapist sure have clickbait articles now.

KingsGambit said:
we dont. we have many other capabilities that other animals dont.

Also the main reason is lack of need of adaptation. you see, all animals get these things because they need to adapt to their enviroment. humans dont need to adapt to their environment. we adapt environment to our needs.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
008Zulu said:
Fanghawk said:
Electric eel shocks usually aren't fatal to humans, but you're forgive me if I'm still reluctant to visit one for a "mind-reading" session.
Electric Eel: I can see your future, you are in for quite a shock.
Oh god i laughed far too hard.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Sadly this is current state we are in.
Plenty of people don't understand what electricity is or how it works.
They think it's magic or something (mind control my ass).
Goddamn stupid cavemen!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity
EDUCATE YOURSELF!

KingsGambit said:
Well, we excel only in intelligence
Also in most other areas we are somewhere in middle
Flight requires huge physical sacrifices (to decrease weight as much as possible)
Super speed isn't magical as well, those capable of sprint usually suck at marathon.
As for "underwater breathing" most of those animals can't breathe air.
So stop whining, we aren't that bad.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
NuclearKangaroo said:
we need to capture one alive so we can train psi troopers!

That...is the coolest electric eel i have ever laid my freshly opened eyes upon!! ;)

Captcha: Goose bumps. ...Indeed Captcha. Indeed.