Electronic Arts Names New CEO

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Electronic Arts Names New CEO

Electronic Arts' new CEO is Andrew Wilson, formerly the executive vice-president of EA Sports and Origin.

Six months after the resignation of former CEO John Riccitiello, Electronic Arts has a new chief executive: Andrew Wilson, who joined the company in 2000. Prior to his appointment as CEO, he was the executive vice-president of EA Sports and Origin; he's also served as vice president and executive producer of the EA Sports FIFA Soccer Division, headed the EA studio in Seoul, Korea and led EA's Asia Online Publishing Group.

"Let me start by saying I am deeply honored and humbled to become EA's CEO. I have a profound respect and passion for this organization, as well as for our global community of fans, and I'm incredibly motivated to serve our people, our gamers and our shareholders at such an exciting time in our industry," Wilson wrote in his first message as CEO.

"I envision EA as the World's Greatest Games Company. This is not about what we are aiming for or what we will become. Rather, it is about an unfaltering commitment to what we will be every day," he continued. "This is an attitude that must drive our culture as one team."

Wilson said his focus on the future will be on three things: "Continued transformation for our digital future, delivering amazing games and service across multiple platforms and instilling a culture of execution that will drive profitable growth." It's not exactly a surprising message - "We'll be awesome and make lots of money!" - but Wilson also indicated that he doesn't plan on making any hard turns right out of the gate.

"I also believe EA's strategy is sound. Our focus on our talent, our brands and our platform together with our investment in next-generation consoles, mobile and PC free-to-play, as part of our ongoing transition to digital, is right," he wrote. "But we have plenty of work ahead to ensure our collective success."

"I am convinced that Andrew was an inspired choice by our Board, and one I expect the team at EA will enthusiastically support," EA Executive Chairman Larry Probst said in his separate introductory message [http://www.ea.com/news/introducing-eas-new-ceo]. "Andrew is the first studio executive to serve as our CEO, a testament to his blend of creative skills and business acumen. He is a compelling and charismatic communicator who cares deeply about organizational development, teams, and the individual careers of people who work for EA. Most of all, he has a powerful sense of respect for and commitment to our consumers."

Probst added that he will remain as executive chairman for an indefinite period in order to support Wilson during the transitional period.

Source: Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com/news/a-message-from-ceo-andrew-wilson]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Urgh, can't say I'm hugely enthused by this choice.

Definitely surprised and disappointed that Peter Moore didn't get the nod.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
'I have profound respect for this organisation'. see, that's where you go wrong pal. If you have respect for EA's business model, you're not the CEO EA needs.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I guess that at least he's honest that nothing has or will change.

But wait... if nothing has or will change then he's obviously lying and just saying this for PR-reasons. Which means that things are actually going to be changing? But that'd mean that he could be being honest...

Arg! Paradox!

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Well it seems that this ship is still looking for its iceberg. But at least the new captain is pretty.

Seriously, that dude is a total hottie.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Great, I share a first name with the person that will inevitably do nothing to stop EA going down the destructive path it's on.

Saying you have respect for the organisation isn't what EA needs, right now. It needs telling the truth, that it's a company wholly unworthy of respect.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Floppertje said:
'I have profound respect for this organisation'. see, that's where you go wrong pal. If you have respect for EA's business model, you're not the CEO EA needs.
Boom goes the dynamite.

The problem is his address isn't for the public, it's for the shareholders to see him making to the public.

Not only is EA's culture broken but so is its structural operation. Those who care have no power, and those who have the power have no care.

Imagine the balls it would require of an individual to stand up in front of the people who own the company and say "Now that I'm in charge I'm going to fix all the fuckups that have been made in the past. I plan on changing our company culture and business model as one is spawned from the other."

Take note you've just bagged a job that pays... how many millions a year?

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
I, for one, welcome our rugged new overlord

Pretty standard-sounding new-CEO induction nothing-speech; let's give the guy a chance before fitting his coffin.

"I envision EA as the World's Greatest Games Company" - better than America's Worst Company, amirite?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well at least he doesn't seem to be a psychopath. You know, like Kotick, Ballmer, Riccitiello etc. All of them are obvious psychopaths.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Only being able to judge what he was working on before and how I feel about those products... cool let's see where this goes. Tho I hope he wasn't the genius that decided PC gamers only need one sports game.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Now, I won't judge before I see him actually make some decisions about-OK I'm lying I'm totally going to judge. Past involvements: Origin, and the team that releases the same sports titles over and over. Opening speech: "culture of execution that will drive profitable growth." That's some A-grade corporate jobspeak right there. I am not optimistic.

I will however quite happily eat my words if he proves me wrong, which I really hope he does.

(I mean really, culture of execution, the frell even is that!?)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
...He kinda looks like a Vegas magician in that shot.

I'll give him 3 press statements before I start criticizing him (out loud anyway). This one's a freebie as it's the default [stamp name here] hello statement to investors.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"I envision EA as the World's Greatest Games Company."

Wins worst company in the world two years in a row.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Honestly, we may have gotten rid of Morgoth, but now we have to contend with Sauron. Are we any better off?

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
EA names a new CEO
All hail to the new Dark Overlord of the game industry.
Fox12 said:
"I envision EA as the World's Greatest Games Company."

Wins worst company in the world two years in a row.
yeah that's what I was thinking.