Electronic Arts Repeats as "Worst Company in America"

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
Akalabeth said:
My belief IS based on experience, EA have shown time and time again that they'll say anything or do anything for money and they have no integrity at all. EA only claims to support gay rights to play off poor guillible saps like you who think they're being liberal or progressive in guzzling down corporate soundbites without critically analyzing the intentions behind it. If you honestly think EA care about gay people at all you are extremely naive as to how the world works.

Also this notion that EA's homosexual romances are cutting edge is hilarious, they're backwards we've had gay characters since the 90's and they where considerably better written, EA's attempts to be progressive are almost patronizingly bad.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
soren7550 said:
Other than the 'people expect banks/insurance companies/etc. to suck', a large part of why EA rockets to the top is because it's a global distributor that makes a unique product you can't get anywhere else. You want a shirt but don't like Wal*Mart? Go to Target, go to Mandee's, go to a local clothes store, buy one off the internet, you have a lot of other options besides Wal*Mart. Want to bank but hate Bank of America? There's Chase, TD Bank, Citi Bank, and a whole lot more. Want to fuel up your car but find BP too shady? You've got Shell, Hess, Texaco, and etc. Want to get Dead Space but hate EA? Tough shit, it's EA or no Dead Space for you.
piclemaniscool said:
3)EA, in a way, runs a monopoly. On a large scale, yes you can just buy another game from another company, much like going to the supermarket a little bit farther than you. But on the smaller scale, every video game is different. It would be like trying to buy oranges but only one store in your area sells them and will only accept $20 per orange. Outrageous, you would say. But don't worry, you can buy apples, bananas, and any other fruit at the store across from your house, someone tells you. You would think they were a bit dim-witted, wouldn't you? Sure, you can live the rest of your life without oranges, they're not necessary, but should you even have to consider that as an option? this is what EA has done with Origin. It's not a monopoly, because most people only go as far as to see "fruit," but nothing more particular than that.

If you dislike Bank of America so much, you can switch to a different bank and receive all of the same benefits. If you want to play Mass Effect 3, You MUST choose EA.
And it's Apple or no iDevice
And it's Hummer (company) or no Hummer (car)

No two companies out there make the exact same product. That's sort of how the system works.

If you don't want to buy an iDevice because you hate Apple, you buy a Samsung phone or some competing device that has roughly the same capabilities.

If you don't want to buy a Hummer because you hate the company of the same name, you buy a (from?) Land Rover or Toyota or some other car/company that also makes cars like that.

If you don't want to buy Dead Space because you hate EA, you buy one of the many other "Kill Bio-Horrors FPS" games

And as for the poll itself, this was only the logical progression from "GAMES THAT I CAN'T RUN[footnote]but probably bought anyway (despite knowing full well that I'd probably be unable to run it.)[/footnote] = THEY CAME FOR THE JEWS HITLER HITLER HITLAAARR!!!"

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
When is it Activision's turn?
In fact, can a video game company even be the worst company in America?
What about Academi? or Blackwater Mercenaries as it used to be known.

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
This result proves one thing to me:

The online video game community has their priorities messed up.

One can argue that the other companies won't care for the "award". One can argue that it's because we expect different things. You can say all those things and it still won't change the fact that people chose a company that sometimes delivers good games, sometimes bad and has an overall bad PR department/company policy over companies that literally RUIN the lives of other people.

In other words, people voted that their "entertainment" is more important than the livelihood and the general well-being of millions.

This is a sad, sad story. EA is "evil" yes. As in, they don't make games the way we would like to have them. Compare that to a Bank screwing over millions of regular people and not being concerned about consequences in the slightest, ruining lives, hopes and dreams left and right.

Wow. Just wow.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
NKRevan said:
In other words, people voted that their "entertainment" is more important than the livelihood and the general well-being of millions.
It's a golden poo award. I think the well-being of millions will be left wholly unaffected by it.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
I say we buy up all the EA stock we can.

If fans value their brands so dearly they should be in control of some part of it.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Doesn't stop people buying millions of EA's games every year though. I guess helping to destroy the economy and being the cause of a huge number of people's evictions and unemployment just isn't as much of a sin as an ending that doesn't wrap up a series as well as people hoped or releasing a game with too much DRM.

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
fozzy360 said:
NKRevan said:
It's a golden poo award. I think the well-being of millions will be left wholly unaffected by it.
That doesn't change the idea behind it. The idea that just because "oh well, this poll won't do any good anyway, so I'll just vote for something else" makes the whole thing a farce.

So you could say, all of this is just a joke anyway, in which case it doesn't matter one way or the other. Or, if you're jaded like me, you believe that people ACTUALLY care more about their video-games than they do about other, much more "sinister" things.

Prosis

May 5, 2011
I find that this is a good response.

http://www.dorkly.com/article/51363/eas-reponse-to-being-named-the-worst-company-in-america

I mean, ultimately they're just a money grubbing entertainment company with bad customer policy and a ton of titles under their control. Subpar, stupid, lying, and not worth supporting, sure. But worst company in America? I wouldn't even put them in the bottom 100. Walmart, every company involved in faulty weight loss pills, the entire alternative medicine/homeopathy industry, every conman/bait-and-switch/pyramid style company, copyright troll companies, and so many more are all much worse.

And the consumerist's article is pathetic. The majority of its arguments are based simply on the failure of Simcity 5. While it was a trainwreck, a single bad game hardly compares to the other crap companies pull.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
I can't agree with this. It's just a gaming company, so how can it be worse than a bank (any bank)? EA puts something on the market which you either buy, or you don't. They don't have a monopoly on games so just ignore them. They are actually useful because every little shit they take gets so much publicity nowadays that every other game company takes notice and say "so that's what NOT to do...". EA is so easy to get rid off, it's laughable. Just don't buy the next FIFA (meaning, just don't upgrade that bloody team roster for ONE year) and Battlefield (cool graphics, but it's the same game, duh) and they will fall. That's it... no more. One FIFA update and a few less polygons for your current Battlefield.

Americans should really start to sort out their priorities. Games aren't one...

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Smeatza said:
When is it Activision's turn?
Why the hell would Activision want to attract the kind of negative press this is generating. Granted Activision is just as guilty as EA in alot of same dickish moves, they seem more than happy to let EA be the spokesman for it at the moment.

Bobby and his fellow executives are probably just pissing themselves laughing about EA being double poo'd especially after all of EA's bluster in trying to catch up/one up them (ie MoH:Warfighter vs CoD)

nickyv917

Nov 11, 2010
Hey, here's a ca-raaaaaaaaaaaazy idea, but um, why don't you just not buy EA games? I haven't bought an EA game in a long time. As such I still haven't played Mass Effect or Battlefield or Crysis, and yet I'm still happily gaming along. Yea, I've missed out on some games worth playing, but EA also doesn't have my money. And if you absolutely must play an EA game, why not buy used, to ensure they still don't get your money? I'm not even trying, and I'm avoiding EA pretty well.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Buying used for the most part only works on console versions. PC users have been stuck with whatever they bought for at least 15 years or so. As much as I love Valve/Steam, they were the final nail in the used PC game market once you had to register your game to a service and a username.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
NKRevan said:
fozzy360 said:
NKRevan said:
That doesn't change the idea behind it. The idea that just because "oh well, this poll won't do any good anyway, so I'll just vote for something else" makes the whole thing a farce.

So you could say, all of this is just a joke anyway, in which case it doesn't matter one way or the other. Or, if you're jaded like me, you believe that people ACTUALLY care more about their video-games than they do about other, much more "sinister" things.
So tell me this. Let's assume that one of these awful, nefarious corporations really did win the golden poo instead EA. What would that have shown? Would any of those other companies have done had they won the award? Would they behave like BoA did when it won the award (not giving a shit), or act like EA (who just ends up hiding behind half-baked apologies blaming everything else but them)? Would the world continue to spin as it does, or where there be an outcry for change? Would the golden poo do more than all of the other suits and fines that have been levied against companies like BoA or BP? Are you really losing your mind over what amounts to nothing more than a big middle finger voted on by people dissatisfied by EA?

Brother, this has nothing to do with being jaded: stop sounding as if some terrible wrong has been done and realize that you're upset that EA instead of some other company has won a statue in the form of a shit.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
JazzJack2 said:
Plus the homosexual relationships in DA and ME where nothing more than a marketing ploy, they had no depth at all and they seemed to fall on that old trope of gay guys want to fuck any man simply because they are man, I'd almost find it offensive if it wasn't so laughably sad and desperate.

If you want a good portrayal of Homosexuality in an RPG play New Vegas
Hey, are you queer? Otherwise I don't think you should be speaking *for* queer people about what they should and shouldn't like.

Defenestra

Apr 16, 2009
EA is collectively a dick, seeing that they publish a game actually makes me hesitant to buy it, and I've actually decided against purchases just because of their crappy behaviour.

But they don't even make the top ten worst companies. Even a steaming pile of assholes like EA pales before the finance companies that brought on the bubble and recession that followed, the petro-corps that take reckless risks with ecosystes and human health, retailers that knowingly support death-trap manufacturing overseas (Hell of a body count on Wal-Mart's clothing department) or privatized prison and military companies that reap their profits from suffering and death.

Hell, what about Monsanto? Even EA's fairly frequent brick-stupid decisions pale in the face of the psychotic bullshit that company's pulled.

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
fozzy360 said:
NKRevan said:
fozzy360 said:
NKRevan said:

So tell me this. Let's assume that one of these awful, nefarious corporations really did win the golden poo instead EA. What would that have shown? Would any of those other companies have done had they won the award? Would they behave like BoA did when it won the award (not giving a shit), or act like EA (who just ends up hiding behind half-baked apologies blaming everything else but them)? Would the world continue to spin as it does, or where there be an outcry for change? Would the golden poo do more than all of the other suits and fines that have been levied against companies like BoA or BP? Are you really losing your mind over what amounts to nothing more than a big middle finger voted on by people dissatisfied by EA?

Brother, this has nothing to do with being jaded: stop sounding as if some terrible wrong has been done and realize that you're upset that EA instead of some other company has won a statue in the form of a shit.
Sorry. I am really not upset about that. ;)

I am not losing my mind. I just find it very sad. It ties together with other community behaviors that just boggle my mind. All I was saying is that it is, in my opinion, a very weird sense of priorities when, in a poll such as this, you decide to go against the company that is the "least" of the presented evils. I was wondering WHY people would do this?

And like I said, if it is just because of the belief that it doesn't matter at all, then it still shows where priorities lie.

I honestly couldn't care less that EA won the award. Or any other company for that matter, because personally, I think that the people who voted for them in this poll have an absolutely twisted logic/set of priorities and their opinion really isn't that important in the first place.

But that's my personal opinion. Maybe, who knows, EA will actually take something away from this, other than "oh, look, the mob is at it again", who knows. XD