Electronic Arts Repeats as "Worst Company in America"

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
LiquidGrape said:
JazzJack2 said:
Plus the homosexual relationships in DA and ME where nothing more than a marketing ploy, they had no depth at all and they seemed to fall on that old trope of gay guys want to fuck any man simply because they are man, I'd almost find it offensive if it wasn't so laughably sad and desperate.

If you want a good portrayal of Homosexuality in an RPG play New Vegas
Hey, are you queer? Otherwise I don't think you should be speaking *for* queer people about what they should and shouldn't like.
A)I am gay
B)Gay people aren't a collective hive mind, we want different things.
C)I doubt many Gay people do like EA's portrayal of homosexuality.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I just want to know where that picture of the EA sign came from in the OP. I mean look at it, clean as a whistle, not one egg yolk in sight.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
NKRevan said:
Or any other company for that matter, because personally, I think that the people who voted for them in this poll have an absolutely twisted logic/set of priorities and their opinion really isn't that important in the first place.
For some that might be true, but EA seems to be the only company on the whole list who seems to even care about it. Plus, considering how immediate PR affects a company like them, as opposed to some of the other ones on that list, on top of the hot streak of blunders that EA is on, it makes sense why they're such an easy target.

In the end, the worst thing that could happen is that EA, like BoA, ignores the award and chugs along their path towards PR ruin.

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
Remember back in the heady days of 07-08 when Ubisoft and Activision were the scourge of mankind and evil incarnate and EA could do no wrong after releasing Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origin? Good times folks... good times. Oh, oh, or remember when Steam was the harbinger of corporate spyware, with Valve being a bloodsucking thief of your hardware information and could possibly flat out steal your CC information?

See, some of us remember a decade ago. Or apparently even have a memory.

Perspective people, perspective.

Mar 20, 2010
Hi guys. Hey, hi. I'm going to say something,

IT WAS A POLL ON THE INTERNET

This wasn't the grand tournament for the title of the worst company of the year voted by the people of the USA. It was a poll on the internet. People are entitled vote for who ever they don't like the most. Stop blaming the gaming community for every single thing that happens. What people should have done instead? Voted for bank of whateverthefuck just because EA is a Video game company?

More people who didn't like EA voted I wonder why? Maybe EA's audience are more familiar with the internet than the consumers of Bank of America or Walmart. Also don't forget that, It may say "Worst Company of America" but Non-Americans are not excluded from voting.

Stop stressing yourselves over an internet poll.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Not trying to downplay what EA has done because they are pretty shit in their own right, but out of some of the companies listed I think they are much worse than them. Some of those companies screwed with people's livelihoods and somehow a company that makes entertainment gets the top spot.

Makes me wonder sometimes.
Just goes to show, that vidja gaems are srs bsnss :D

I'd like post something from another thread about this, I think it's a rather good point.

itsthesheppy said:
The reason EA crushes it in a competition like this is because people have been conditioned to expect that utilities, banks, and energy companies are just going to be evil. Malice for mankind is built right into the type of business they're in. Nobody buys a plane ticket sure that their experience is going to be rosy. Nobody takes out a loan and expects to walk out of the bank smiling, feeling like they're a valued customer. We go into those businesses expecting to be bent over, and we're usually happy if the company uses lube first.

EA, however, is supposed to be selling us products that make life happier. They're selling a product that's supposed to be a pure positive. Not only that, but they are so big that their business practices are leaking over into and influencing the rest of the video game market, an area of business that is deeply important to many people. So when a company is evil there, we expect it less, and so the betrayal hurts more.

Bank of America lost (and lost big) because everyone expects them to be assholes. They can be proud of that; that they got the #2 worst company in america because everyone expects them to suck and they didn't disappoint. But EA won by a landslide because they're not supposed to suck, but they do it anyway. Not only that, they do it with an open contempt that even banks and utilities have learned to at least try and mask. EA is so new to the "being evil" game that they're naked and obvious about it, and that's doubly insulting.

That's why they won. Because they're not supposed to be able to trade punches with BoA and Comcast and Ticketmaster, but they do it anyway, and do it well. They're the Rocky Balboa of shit companies. A well deserved win.
Yes. And as we all know, when a company goes against expectations, it makes its faults exponentially greater. Bank of America may have made thousands homeless, with a large number of mistaken foreclosures, and, along with several other large financial institutions, nearly broke the economy of the whole fucking world. But dammit we expected that. Little wonder then that one of the companies that ruined the world lost to a company that screwed up an online game and charges you money for extra content. If ever I'm given the wrong flavor of ice cream from an ice cream truck or charged more money for it than other places, I feel confident that that will henceforth be known as the new worst business in America.

Seriously, it only "trades punches" because gamers decided that a broken game they paid $60 for was the equivalent of a bank kicking someone out of a house they'd already paid for or an oil company destroying a massive ecosystem. God so much of gamer culture makes me fucking sick.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
itsthesheppy said:
The reason EA crushes it in a competition like this is because people have been conditioned to expect that utilities, banks, and energy companies are just going to be evil. Malice for mankind is built right into the type of business they're in. Nobody buys a plane ticket sure that their experience is going to be rosy. Nobody takes out a loan and expects to walk out of the bank smiling, feeling like they're a valued customer. We go into those businesses expecting to be bent over, and we're usually happy if the company uses lube first.
I disagree with this assesment. I fly sometimes. I expect - and do - get good experience while at it. (except the turkish security folks, i found a very cool looking stone in Turkey, on a beach, the size of around 2x2CM, and they stopped and interrogated me for it because apparently i was smuggling "national cultural valuables" out of thier country, and in the end confiscated the stone.). I got a loan for my house and i walked out of bank smiling, because the costumer service was amazing, and the gal was looking out in my best interest (i study economy, i knew whats going on). So far its been 1,5 years and i have had no problems whatsoever with the loan. So no, i never go into any business expecting to be hurt, yet somehow gaming is one where i am hurt the most. Maybe i am lucky, i dont know, but personally while EA isnt the worst out there in my opinion, its no angel.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Is EA the worst company? No it isn't, but it does deserve the attention. Some have said, "Don't buy their games." Well, in the video game business there is more to it than that. I could easily say that I won't buy their games, but I loved Bioware so I bought their games. Now their owned by EA and their games suck now. Than I could say I love Insomniac games since earlier in the ps2 era. But now they are owned by EA and we now have Fused.

Unfortunately even though we wanna stay away from EA to get the games we want. EA tends to buyout the companies we like and either ruin them or close the studio.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
The hatred for EA is quite deserved. It's not like they've screwed up one or two times. It's more like they've screwed up one or two decades now. They've continually bought up companies that don't fit their own portfolio or their goals and assimilating them into their own, therefore actively eliminating variety throughout their own industry.

Of course pretty much all the other companies did larger damage to the economy of the united States and the Bank of America even caused an entire recession.

Then again, what is "worse"? Do i "scale" the damages done by each company? After all, EA is much smaller, personell and moneywise so they couldn't do as much damage as the bank of America even if they tried.
Would EA do as much damage to the economy of America if they where worth as much as the Bank of America? Are they that much of a shitty Company that they, if put in the BoA's shoes, deal a harder blow to the economy of the entire World?

That would make EA worse than the Bank of America. People who voted with that "scaling" in Mind might actually be onto something.

Then it comes down to which Company has the bigger Assholes.

On the other Hand, EA has the wonderful Potential to bring Peace and Serenity to the industry; There's some People that i'm sure helped vote EA through all the rounds simply because they make Videogames.
Jack thompson and his ilk.

I bet everyone who voted for EA feels dirty and needs a Shower now :p

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I suppose, that although yes, it is the easiest for the internet to be mad at, there are other issues at play here. For instance, the oil spill was not deliberate, and therefore can not really be a measure of how good a company is, despite the failed attempts to stem it initially. The banks' shenanigans are all a bit cloak and dagger and usually down to a few people doing things that fuck stuff up.

EA deliberately give us overpriced, half finished crap and expect us to take it. Perhaps it's the contempt they appear to have for their consumers that gives them the edge.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Say what you want about them, you all know they're instantly forgiven for any mistake when you remember they gave us..

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I can understand the hatred at EA, and the recent fiasco that was SimCity certainly didn't help their case in this vote, but we also need to realize that EA really doesn't affect those who don't play their games. If you get ripped off by EA, you're partially to blame for letting them do that to you. Sure, that doesn't justify why they pursue it in the first place, but saying they are worse than companies that have affected the lives of millions of people who didn't even use their service in the first place is taking this EA hate way too far.

Bank of America deserves a lot of blame for the recession, which affected millions of lives regardless of which bank you happen to use. Most people I know who suffered most from the recession never used Bank of America, but they were still affected by its practices in a much more serious way than their entertainment.

BP is partially to blame for their oil spill in the Gulf, essentially damaging a wonderful ecosystem. You can also imagine the economic impact that would have, and the Gulf States are still trying to convince people to come down and enjoy it regardless of what happened as a result of the spill.

EA...charges too much for mediocre entertainment that you can figure out is bad before you even buy it and doesn't affect you if you don't purchase it...Yeah, pure evil right here!

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
MysticSlayer said:
I can understand the hatred at EA, and the recent fiasco that was SimCity certainly didn't help their case in this vote, but we also need to realize that EA really doesn't affect those who don't play their games. If you get ripped off by EA, you're partially to blame for letting them do that to you. Sure, that doesn't justify why they pursue it in the first place, but saying they are worse than companies that have affected the lives of millions of people who didn't even use their service in the first place is taking this EA hate way too far.

Bank of America deserves a lot of blame for the recession, which affected millions of lives regardless of which bank you happen to use. Most people I know who suffered most from the recession never used Bank of America, but they were still affected by its practices in a much more serious way than their entertainment.

BP is partially to blame for their oil spill in the Gulf, essentially damaging a wonderful ecosystem. You can also imagine the economic impact that would have, and the Gulf States are still trying to convince people to come down and enjoy it regardless of what happened as a result of the spill.

EA...charges too much for mediocre entertainment that you can figure out is bad before you even buy it and doesn't affect you if you don't purchase it...Yeah, pure evil right here!
If you look at it from a broad view compared to other companies, EA isn't that evil. But as some others have stated in videos, its the sheer amount of BS that EA has thrown at our lap. And their answer to all that is that it's the consumers fault. Sure McD is bad and so is BoA, but they have been noticed and punished and more or less "fixed"....in their own way. When EA is caught doing something to stupid to the costumer...what do they do? They do something else stupid.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
EA, fundamentally, is run by profit driven CEOs hired from anywhere and everywhere besides the gaming industry. There are ten million other point that destroy their reputation as a game business, or, laughably, 'electronic artists,' but this was most important to me. It holds them back from actually making the games they have the potential to make and actually holds back gaming as a medium. Anything that holds back any art form deserves this kind of PR. Roll of the three-time victors EA for 2014

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
Throw me in the camp with many others who think EA is hardly the worst company around these days. Either Ticketmaster of BoA should beat them, though given the hilarious response their marketing guy put out when they made it to the finals, maybe it's a little justified.