Electronic Arts Signs Exclusive Star Wars Game Deal With Disney

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
SlightlyEvil said:
INeedAName said:
Out of all the publishers/developers, Disney...
I keep hearing this, and to counter it, I have only two words:

"The Avengers"

Keep an open mind. We'll declare how much it sucks after it comes out.
No, I think we can do this now.

If there EVER was a time when it was okay to jump to conclusions based on very little information. This is it. Why rain on the parade?

And if you are really so sure that whatever Star Wars game EA releases is gonna be awesome, put your money where mouth is, I will match it.

Of course this is the internet and you can't, but if you could, you wouldn't. It would be the stupidest bet in the history of gambling and nobody would ever make it no matter how many blows to the head they have had.

PrototypeC said:
From all these comments I'm reading, everyone's more worried about EA than Disney? They think of Disney as the good guy, and this is their first dangerous, short-sighted decision? Huh. There's nothing wrong with that; I've just always thought of Disney as the supervillain. This is as much like a supervillain team-up as anything else. Disney holds a tight, tight leash on their properties, so I don't think any of EA's usual tomfoolery will ensue. Every mind-blowingly stupid or malicious decision will likely be on Disney's part, not Electronic Arts's.

Besides, what's the worst that could happen? It couldn't possibly be any more of a horrible, offensive mess than The Force Unleashed II, or I for that matter. Star Wars is at rock bottom, right? The only way to go is up.
No, I'm pretty sure you can still go horizontal, like a dog wiping his bum on your carpet.

Two posters already read my mind and posted my exact thoughts when I read the article: EA offered them massive moneybags for exclusive rights, and the fine print attached to this deal must be equally massive, with EA's current track record, Disney can't possibly expect more out of this deal than whatever fee they will charge EA for not fulfilling the contract.

I really like the supervillain team-up metaphor though, but really, don't those team-ups always fail because the villains end up backstabbing each other instead of actually working together?

Sep 14, 2009
Akalabeth said:
snip, I don't feel like doing a quote tag war, i'll just say my piece and be done
the condescending tone and assumptions are just amazing. i truly appreciate it all.

1) the mass effect 3 ending is under MUCH different circumstances and retroactively broke much of the plot already built up, not to mention the last 5 minutes of fuck all, and if you honestly think they are similar situations then you have NOT been paying attention to the massive amount of threads on ME3/the ending. hell kotor 2's ending wasn't even bad, it was just broken and rushed out, with the restored content mod it is actually pretty smooth and is mediocre in the last minute or so of the ending. bioware and EA (they are basically one now) straight up lied about it while obsidian perfectly and openly admitted to it being a rush job, and wanted to fix it with a free patch that lucas arts wouldn't let them do, while bioware pulled the artistic integrity card over the bullshit it was.

2)i never said i hope all those people lose their jobs? Source needed. I said I hoped other better ships take EA's place, because I can't stand their higher ups; the people who run EA, i do NOT agree with at all when it comes to business policies and how to treat customers, and how often the IP's they get turn into shit fests, they need massive restructuring at the top, because they are on a road to nowhere where no one wins and everyone loses with how they do things.

3) ah so you do like obsidian then? yet you judge kotor 2 as shit before even playing it, wonderful, now i see why you like having a condescending tone, judging things based off assumptions rather than experience. Although I would agree, I would prefer a obsidian fallout installment, but after fallout 3 getting the score it did and new vegas getting an 84 and in turn them not getting their bonus, i don't think obsidian is really on good ties for another fallout. but hey, it could happen,

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Ok, for this instance, since it seems like it's an internet-wide thing:

http://imgur.com/a/Ljyoe

Just putting it out there.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
v3n0mat3 said:
Ok, for this instance, since it seems like it's an internet-wide thing:

http://imgur.com/a/Ljyoe

Just putting it out there.
That's my biggest problem with this. Those are all AWESOME studios, they've made great stuff before, and I have faith that they can make quality products again, espically with a licence as strong as Star Wars. But EA screws them over again and again. Mass Effect's writing problems and DLC, Dead Space's microtransactions and moving towards being a bland GoW clone, Dice being forced to make spunkgargleweewee to compete with CoD instead of being allowed to work on more interesting products. I love these studios, I love Star Wars, and under any other circumstances I would hapily buy anything they make. But EA always, always, always breaks the deal. I don't want to support a company that vile, short-sighted and consumer hating.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
God I just hope this doesn't become Battlefield in Space, with you playing as a Stormtrooper trying to stop rebels from sneaking Space Nukes into some sandy planet...

Oh god I think I just gave them an idea.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
one of the most infamous (and expensive) videogame train wrecks of all time, the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO.
i think the writer is being unfairly negative to swtor. sure the first year was rocky, but the game attracted massive interest and to this day is considered one of the top tier mmos in the world. I hear things stabilized after the f2p transition.

Gergar12_v1legacy

Aug 17, 2012
God dang it guys. It's EA, at least we GET star wars games. It's been a long time since we got a modern star wars game that rocks, and Force Unleashed 2 sucked . Just don't buy a used version of a game, and you will be fine.