Electronic Arts Suffers $45 Million Loss

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Electronic Arts Suffers $45 Million Loss

Weak Medal of Honor: Warfighter sales have forced Electronic Arts to scale back its earnings forecast for 2013.

Electronic Arts reported a $45 million loss for the fiscal quarter that ended on December 31, 2012, which isn't good except when held up against the company's results over the same period last year, a loss of $205 million. But while the loss has improved, the revenue situation has not: Revenues for the quarter hit $922 million, compared to $1.06 billion the previous year. In response, EA reduce its annual earnings guidance slightly, from $3.85-4 billion to $3.7-3.8 billion.

"The economy hasn't gotten any stronger," EA Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen told Reuters. "It's a little early for me to know how strong the market's going to be, so based on that we widened our range for revenue for the fourth quarter and brought our guidance down slightly just to make sure we're prudent."

But analyst Michael Pachter said EA is being "overly conservative" in the wake of disappointing Medal of Honor: Warfighter sales, which were bad enough that the publisher revealed yesterday that plans for future games in the franchise have been shelved [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121799-Electronic-Arts-Drops-Medal-of-Honor]. "They were probably a little shell-shocked by how bad holiday demand was, and I think at the low end they're probably assuming demand is down 20 percent or so," he said.

BMO Capital Markets analyst Edward Williams also noted that some of EA's troubles are beyond its control, as the entire industry is suffering from a downturn in demand as consumers await next-gen hardware from Sony and Microsoft. "The guidance pretty clearly represents a lot uncertainty in the market and that uncertainty stems from recent performances as consumers are pretty aware of new consoles coming," he said.

In other words, the news may not be great but it's not necessarily all that bad, either. EA also announced that its digital business is continuing to grow, with games and services for mobile (including handhelds) growing 18 percent year-over-year to roughly $100 million, and that its Origin platform now has more than 39 million registered users and distribution deals with 86 independent developers.

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/31/us-electronicarts-results-idUSBRE90T1FB20130131]

Dec 14, 2009
Hopefully this is a sign that people are getting sick of EA's terrible business practices.

Maybe EA'll have a change of heart and not act like twats anymore, but I doubt it.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
"The economy hasn't gotten any stronger," EA Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen told Reuters. "It's a little early for me to know how strong the market's going to be, so based on that we widened our range for revenue for the fourth quarter and brought our guidance down slightly just to make sure we're prudent."

Wrong the market is as strong as ever Blake, its just you guys are making crap games and bad business practices that people want no part in. You can blame it on the economy, the community, the media, everything but what you are doing wrong.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
In other words, it's everyone's fault except our own.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
BMO Capital Markets analyst Edward Williams also noted that some of EA's troubles are beyond its control, as the entire industry is suffering from a downturn in demand as consumers await next-gen hardware from Sony and Microsoft.
Or it could just be the super-saturation of the gaming market. Even if I were to only stick with "AAA" titles, I couldn't keep up with the games I like. Also, I (and everyone else) knows that if you wait 3 months, you can get a game for a third of the price from most major retailers during one of their many sales. Last gen, Halo: CE was $40 new until the bitter end. Now, every Halo is $20 or $30 brand new all over the place (with the exception of 4 that I still see for $39.99 a lot of weekends).

Andy Chalk said:
... that its Origin platform now has more than 39 million registered users ...
This is also a load of shit number... I have an Origin account. Its because I did some creation for my FIFA 11 ultimate team. I always love when these companies make these statements. This is just like my Google+ account existing since I have a gmail account.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
On the one hand: I am happy to see a company I loathe failing.
On the other hand: I feel bad for all the innocent people who might lose their job.

I just HOPE EA goes where THQ went, so that some brands might get bought out by good companies.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
karma9308 said:
Andy Chalk said:
In other words, it's everyone's fault except our own.
I don't think I've ever seen a press release from EA that didn't blame outside forces for every last mishap of theirs. They'll even blame their own customers like with the Medal of Honor thing or the "clarification" of the ME3 ending.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
It's all going according to plan... >:)

That is an amazingly hi-res picture of Mr. Burns, it's so purdy. The animation quality not the character... I er...

Aaaanyway, EA suffers a loss? Good news everybody!

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Oh EA one moment people agree with you [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.399809-EA-Chief-Game-Violence-Worries-Are-a-Perception-Problem], the same day they return to wishing for your doom.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
EA makes bad game, expects it to sell good, it doesn't, EA says it will stop making this type of bad game and will instead milk Battlefield annually instead.

Whilst for once a publisher basically got the hint that "YOUR GAME SUCKZ!!!" they instantly miss the mark again by announcing their plans to turn Battlefield into their own COD. Well even MORE into their own COD.

One step forward, 15 back. Keep on going EA.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Earlier today, I posted in a story about Dead Space 3 that if EA is so desperate to monetized through microtransactions, they either need to sell content that drastically customizes a gaming experience or stop selling games for $60 a pop

This is why

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Kumagawa Misogi said:
And yet there cash increased to $1.158 billion

(http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1915116824x0x631760/1b17f86a-b47b-44bc-aeb5-8efd05713573/Q3FY13_Earnings_Release_FINAL.pdf)

from $871 million last quarter

(http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1915116824x0x609756/f8bc4090-676b-44ee-b7ff-5ffa6c8c2a70/Q2FY13_Earnings%20Release_FINAL_withPressTables.pdf)

so their actually doing better.
Looking at the rest of their B/S doesn't paint a pretty picture though. I'm unable to see the report for Q4, but if the trend showed is staying steady, it isn't good. Their long term assets are trending lower while their current assets and long term liabilities are trending higher. Sure, they aren't going to declare bankruptcy anytime soon, but that isn't a trend I'd like to see if I'm CEO, CFO, or COO.
Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ea/financials/balance-sheet/quarter

Fun (well financial fun) Fact! EA has a ton of accumulated depreciation. They must have a lot of old computers/equipment.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Kumagawa Misogi said:
And yet there cash increased to $1.158 billion

(http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1915116824x0x631760/1b17f86a-b47b-44bc-aeb5-8efd05713573/Q3FY13_Earnings_Release_FINAL.pdf)

from $871 million last quarter

(http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1915116824x0x609756/f8bc4090-676b-44ee-b7ff-5ffa6c8c2a70/Q2FY13_Earnings%20Release_FINAL_withPressTables.pdf)

so their actually doing better.
If I have an orange business and I sell my orange farm which increases my cash reserves I don't claim a profit because I have more money at the end of that year than I did the previous.

NET WORTH determines business value, not what is sitting in their bank account. The business is worth less than it was at the same time in the previous year. That is a BAD thing and it makes them look bad in front of shareholders.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Guys, this is a tiny hiccup for EA. Don't start digging their coffin hole just yet.

For crissakes they've still got Madden. HOW that sells so much each year I don't understand, but the point remains that it does.

EA's not going the way of THQ. They're pretty much here to stay.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
I don't want to see anyone lose their jobs, but EA -really- needs to make some changes in how they treat their customers if they expert to right their sinking ship.