Electronics Arts Says No More Star Wars Movie Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Electronics Arts Says No More Star Wars Movie Games

Electronic Arts won't be making any Star Wars games based on the new movies, but it does intend to make more Star Wars games.

It took awhile for the lesson to sink in but I think by now it's generally accepted that licensed videogames based on movies are a bad idea. Just ask Danny Bilson: He used to be an executive vice-president at THQ, which used to be a videogame publisher that banked heavily on licensed properties and now exists only as a quickly fading and not particularly interesting memory. That's a path that Electronic Arts has no interest in following.

"We've done movie games over the years and we wanted to make sure that we weren't doing a [new Star Wars] movie game, i.e., game based on the movie," Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen said at the UBS Global Technology Conference. "The beauty of the Star Wars franchise is that it's so broad and so deep, you don't have to do a movie game, you can do a game that's very focused on the world that's been created around Star Wars."

It's an established fact that the secret to making a great Star Wars game is to steer well clear of the movies. X-Wing is probably as close as any truly good Star Wars game has come to the films, while BioWare's Old Republic setting is Star Wars in name only. So while EA intends to take advantage of the powerful Disney marketing machine, it will continue to do its own thing creatively.

"We'll try to align those with the marketing power that Disney has so it will get aligned with timing around the movies, but it won't necessarily be aligned with the movie," Jorgensen said.

Star Wars: Episode VII, the first Star Wars film to be made under the Disney flag, is expected in 2015.

Source: Seeking Alpha [http://seekingalpha.com/article/1850511-electronic-arts-management-presents-at-ubs-global-technology-conference-transcript?part=single]

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Right, now all they have to do is get cracking on Jedi Knight 3 and KOTOR 3.
I think I am more attached to the franchise because of those two series than the movies themselves. Not to say the movies aren't great, too, all three of them.

Edit:
Oops, forgot Republic Commando. Need a second one of those too. There, that fills your mandatory FPS slot nicely.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I enjoyed the first Racer game, and the second one wasn't that bad either.

I also thought the 'Super Star Wars' series (for the SNES) was pretty damn amazing.
The EP1 game for the PC/PS1 was also rather enjoyable.

Same goes for that glorified Age of Empires 2 mod.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Spectrum_Prez said:
all they have to do is get cracking on Jedi Knight 3
Technically, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was JK3, but THIS. Me and the rest of the JK online community are screaming for a sequel to Jedi Outcast/Academy. I know they're currently working on Battlefront 3 so that's a good sign I suppose...

But JK4 would be much better. Even the most recent game, JKA, is just getting too old. I mean, It's using the massively outdated Quake 3 engine FFS.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Spectrum_Prez said:
Technically, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was JK3, but THIS. Me and the rest of the JK online community are screaming for a sequel to Jedi Outcast/Academy. I know they're currently working on Battlefront 3 so that's a good sign I suppose...

But JK4 would be much better. Even the most recent game, JKA, is just getting too old. I mean, It's using the massively outdated Quake 3 engine FFS.
I've always considered Jedi Academy to be like Vice City/San Andreas or Fallout: New Vegas. It's an almost identical, prettied-up engine with a new plot.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
X-Wing is probably as close as any truly good Star Wars game has come to the films, while BioWare's Old Republic setting is Star Wars in name only.
Honestly, the second Rogue Squadron game probably cut it closer to the movies (due to the arcadey feel more closely resembling the dynamics of starship combat in the movies) and was almost entirely based on scenes from the movies. Rebel Strike (RS 3) slightly less so, but still.

And I would kill to have a current or next gen Rogue Squadron title.

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
Reed Spacer said:
Alternate title:"EA Does Something Right For Once"
don't point that out to them, they'll have to do something stupid to make up for it, like make a f2p Mass Effect MMO for tablets or the like

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Wait, wait, wait. WAIT! Did EA just make an awesome decision? I think they did. So kudos for that.

But Battlefront games will probably draw inspiration from the old and new movies.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
wombat_of_war said:
the only specific movie game that i can remember actually being good was robocop 3.
Won't argue the premise that most videogames based off movies are lousy (good god, a Little Nicky game?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Nicky_(video_game) ), but a couple did come to mind that I've liked over the years.

I thought the first Aliens vs. Predator game (for pc, not the arcade one though that was more faithful to the Dark Horse comics) was heaps better than the movies wound up being.

Spiderman 2 was great, and while it wasn't groundbreaking in any specific regard 'Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game' was an entirely appropriate retro Streetfighter clone.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
I've said this before: EA's got a big chance to make a PR comeback with the Star Wars series. LucasArts was a notoriously thick publisher that never indulged consumer demand and left alot of fans wanting more of the bright ideas they had published. Republic Commando, Battlefront, KOTOR, Jedi Knight, Rogue Squadron, they've all just been sitting there, waiting for someone to suggest a sequel that the fans would adore.

Obviously I'm hoping EA will suggest some new titles with Star Wars, but man, did LucasArts ever leave a half-empty gold mine for another to dig at.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
The sad thing is that it wasn't always this way. Back during the SNES era, games based on movies had as much a chance of being good or bad as the rest of the industry. That's because they focused on being being fun to play and had good flow, and following the plot points of the film was secondary at best. Also, there was no pressure to release the game alongside the movie.

Super Star Wars and Aladdin are the titles that come to mind as tie-in games that got it right.

drthmik

Jul 29, 2011
Lt. Rocky said:
I've said this before: EA's got a big chance to make a PR comeback with the Star Wars series. LucasArts was a notoriously thick publisher that never indulged consumer demand and left alot of fans wanting more of the bright ideas they had published. Republic Commando, Battlefront, KOTOR, Jedi Knight, Rogue Squadron, they've all just been sitting there, waiting for someone to suggest a sequel that the fans would adore.

Obviously I'm hoping EA will suggest some new titles with Star Wars, but man, did LucasArts ever leave a half-empty gold mine for another to dig at.
THIS!
This is why I wasn't really sad to see LucasArts go

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I have to wonder: Was EA mandated not to do the inevitable slew of games for the new movies by Disney or LucasArts?
It makes sense to align the release dates between the movies and games because of branding and franchise power.

What brand in has the power of Star Wars? Very little; and close to nothing in the movie world and for that reason I cannot see Disney opting to not pick the low-hanging fruit (tie-in shovelware).
I mean, the prequels were pretentious flash-boom CGI borefests, but were spectacularly popular, and if those shovelware titles didn't make money, nobody would keep making them.

It's a shot in the dark, but I'd wager Disney would let EA (Bioware, really) handle the pricier-to-produce "quality" Star Wars games, and offload the deluge of Shovelware tie-ins to cheaper firms.

Also: checking the primary source past the first page requires registration and apparently, submission of a portfolio.
Fuck. That.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
the only specific movie game that i can remember actually being good was robocop 3. which was released way before the shitty movie purely because ocean was sick of people saying " movie games are always shit and rely on the movie marketing to sell them". in the end it was actually way better than the movie and one of the first fps games i ever played
Also Spiderman 2.

Well the actual game sucked hard, but the web slinging around New York was legendary.

But the general rule is that Videogames based off movies are all crap, even Prince of Persia managed to mess it up!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
It's an established fact that the secret to making a great Star Wars game is to steer well clear of the movies
Andy, I understand that most movie based games suck, but why'd you pick for the picture the one Star Wars game people actually preferred OVER the movie? Podracer is great and it still got played all the way up until 64x systems made the code near unexecutable. Now Super Bombad Racing, that's another story ^.^

Arnoxthe1 said:
Spectrum_Prez said:

I know Outcast is labelled 2, but if you include the JK1 expansion Mysteries of the Sith in the counting then Academy is closer to Jedi Kight 5. I'd love to see them return to the roots though. Screw Jedi Knight 3, give me Dark Forces 6. The Dark Forces (origins of JK) saga is always best when there's a good mix-and-match between shooting and force using. If they made yet another game like Academy that is focused on only sabers and powers it would just be critiqued as a bad pseudo Force Unleashed III. What distinguishes the two and defines Jedi Knight is the ability to say, "I'm a Jedi, but screw it all I'm going to use a rocket launcher." My favorite part of Academy was the return of the concussion rifle.

TFU, Jedi Knight, and Battlefront are all titles I'd love to see more of. 1313 is an entirely different story, but I don't want to drudge up any more sad memories :'(