ELEX

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Basically a TES-Fallout-Mass Effect Andromeda love child. And it looks glorious. It's an open-world RPG made by Pyranha bytes, the guys who brought us the fun but not so great Risen trilogy. And it's coming out this October. This is honestly the only game that I'm really looking forward to this year and it just came out of nowhere.

It doesn't look like a big budget AAA game and it might not be as polished as one, but god damn it, Fallout 4 was a AAA game and it was a complete mess.

It looks like one of those games that I'll be able to sink hundreds of hours into. Huge open world to explore, lots of gameplay possibilities with lots of options for a character build. Lots of everything and it just looks like so much pure gaming fun. I haven't been this excited for a game since The Witcher 3 announcement. This is as close to Fallout New Vegas 2 as we'll get until the real thing, IMO.

Here's more gameplay if you're interested:

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Looks like it could be a great game.

Too bad it has a skewed over-the-shoulder camera perspective.
That shit is deal-breaker for me..
Sigh.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
But...is there anything to actually do in it? Thats the problem with alot of open world games. There is nothing to do. That is one thing Bethesda does right. "Oh, whats that over there? Oh neat".

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ew.

The trailer consisted of, "Run across landscape! Hit some healthbars! Run across landscape! Hit some healthbars! Walk slowly across landscape!"

It looks like a Chinese knock-off of a Bethesda game and a couple of dodge-rolls away from being a single player MMO. All the clunky and repetitive combat with even less polish. And of course it's open world, because that never signifies a shallow world thinly spread with low-effort "content".

Oh, and it's made by the Risen crew, purveyors of premium unpolished jank garnished with a selection of the finest bugs.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The trailer is what got me hooked. It's a very honest no-bullshit gameplay trailer. It's not filled with bullshots, exaggerated graphics that will undoubtedly be downgraded by the time the game is released, they didn't bother making it appear as something different from what it actually is. And I find that refreshing. When you take away all the bullshit from 99% of game trailers these days (just wait for E3, it's full of that kind of cinematic crap designed to hype you) this is what games ultimately are when you get to play them. They end up being obviously imperfect, and you end up disappointed that a particular game didn't live up to expectations from trailer footage.

Here's more info: http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=791

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Thanks for putting it under my radar. Like many others here, I'm skeptical of open world games, but I enjoyed Witcher 3, so I'll be sure to check the reviews when they come out.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
Each new Piranha game looks worse and worse. I heard there's like one person left from the original team that made Gothic games.
I'm expecting another buggy and clunky game that is slightly interesting for some reason.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'll wait. The combat doesn't look engaging enough on the video to have me spend dozens of hours fighting enemies over and over again. And besides the amalgam of the setting, what is its appeal?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wow, you weren't kidding that's a Fallut/Skyrim knock-off. Like damn, I think they even took Fallout New Vegas's music!

Desperate is simply too kind a word for what that was. Just a lot of cheap nostalgia invoking, ambient music meant to remind you of other, better, games, walking, more walking, oh look a dinosaur(Horizon Zero Dawn? Never heard of it!) animations that don't look like they have anything to do with each other(dude bro swings hammer from left to right, and the Raptor just falls directly down) and any hint at plot? No. Voice acting? Doesn't look like it. NPCs? Yeah a few goose-stepping clones near the end.

I will give the idea of a atomic desert wasteland, dinosaur filled jungle, and neon-noir-Sith/Halo starfortress existing in the same game is neat. On that, I should go play Destiny.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
I actualy saw a video for this earlier, i noticed the game on steam under the recent weekend sale list i think... don't remember not important anyway, the vid i watched was actualy multiple vids compressed into about 15 mins all the gameplay footage was marked pre-alpha so hopefully it will improve between now and release.

From my inital impression it looked abit skyrim with a jetpack if that makes any sense.

This is defintatly a wait and see title for me, as previously mentioned pyranha bytes don't have the best dev history, so im scepticle but intetested enough to keep an eye on it.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
It just looks cheap.. I know that you don't need a huge budget to make a good game, but i fail to see why some of you got so excited over this. Nothing about it looks particularly good and their previous games don't inpspire much confidence either.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Silentpony said:
Wow, you weren't kidding that's a Fallut/Skyrim knock-off. Like damn, I think they even took Fallout New Vegas's music!

Desperate is simply too kind a word for what that was. Just a lot of cheap nostalgia invoking, ambient music meant to remind you of other, better, games, walking, more walking, oh look a dinosaur(Horizon Zero Dawn? Never heard of it!) animations that don't look like they have anything to do with each other(dude bro swings hammer from left to right, and the Raptor just falls directly down) and any hint at plot? No. Voice acting? Doesn't look like it. NPCs? Yeah a few goose-stepping clones near the end.

I will give the idea of a atomic desert wasteland, dinosaur filled jungle, and neon-noir-Sith/Halo starfortress existing in the same game is neat. On that, I should go play Destiny.
Bah, you wouldn't know a good game if it hit you in your foxy face :D

This is glorious. And of course there's plot and voice acting. There are other videos about the game on YouTube. I'm not gonna post all of them. There's one much longer video that even shows how freakin' huge the map seems to be. There are forests, deserts, sci-fi areas, big cities, icy mountains and lakes etc. Pretty decent terrain variety and they seem to have really put a lot of effort into exploration and making sure that you always have something interesting to find. Loot isn't randomized either. So think about that - non-randomized loot in an enormous game world. That takes effort, man. Also, think of the mods.

This doesn't look any less polished than Fallout 4. So I don't know why everyone is complaining. Fallout 4 is a mess. If it weren't for its brand name it wouldn't have sold nearly enough to justify its own existence. And these days mods are the only thing keeping it alive.

Here, there's plot and voice acting. But it's all in German:

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
It's an open-world RPG made by Pyranha bytes, the guys who brought us the fun but not so great Risen trilogy.
How have the mighty fallen...my first association for the developer would be the Gothic games.

Oct 22, 2011
Gothic 3 was the last Pirahna Bytes game i've touched. ELEX doesn't really make me want to come back. I dunno, maybe i should finally go and try play Risen...

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
MrCalavera said:
Gothic 3 was the last Pirahna Bytes game i've touched. ELEX doesn't really make me want to come back. I dunno, maybe i should finally go and try play Risen...
If you do, play Risen and mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe Risen 3. I swear to god I've never seen a series change theme and gameplay nearly as much as Risen, and not for the best. Risen 1 is a legitimately great game, Risen 2 is bad to mediocre and Risen 3 is mediocre to good.

I'm excited for Elex mostly because you don't see post apocalyptic fantasy all that much, but even then I'm extremely cautious.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
As someone who has loved all of Gothic and Risen I'm sure i will enjoy this game, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it being the next Skyrim. People always get their hopes up for Pyranha games and then they get a huge amount of hate when they aren't as good as everyone wanted them to be. If you're a fan of their style of RPG you can forgive their games a lot of weaknesses, but to people who have no sentimentality about this particular style of game, better wait and see.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Pfft! I know what games have 'inspired' this game when it hits me in the face. Legit surprised there isn't a level in a pizzeria with anamotronic bears attacking you.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
It looks rather slow paced. Like there is too much just wandering about and dull gameplay. You can get away with that if you can craft a world as good as zelda: breath of the wild but other wise I hope there is a decent plot.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
ELEX (Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating, Xenial)

...you just wanted the name "Elex" and had to make it an acronym didn't you.

DIDN'T YOU?!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Silentpony said:
Pfft! I know what games have 'inspired' this game when it hits me in the face.
I don't know why you think that's a bad thing. I think it's better to copy from games that have done something right than to create a mess. We all know that these guys have made some very messy and unintuitive games in the past. Now that they're basically taking notes from Bethesda's games they actually stand a chance to make something pretty good.