Elitist crowd..

Valen_Starwalker

Nov 20, 2012
Can seriously go die.
^ one hell of an opening. Am I right?

I feel like the elitist crowd ruins games. They're always saying how the game is too easy, how they level up too fast, how they did x, y, and z within a week. Blah, blah, blah.

In Diablo 3 they yelled, and whined about how Inferno was being nerf.(Even though it was damn right down too insane.. I like a challenge, but I don't like beating my head against the brick wall,and that brick wall had spikes on it, and deadly poison that was painful)

In Guild Wars 2 people already have legendary weapons.(Even though most of those people got carried by their guilds.)

How WoW was dumbed down for "casual players".(Even though they were just trying to get rid of the grinding)

The problem is.. That all of these games aren't even hard..

All it is gear checks, and more gear checks.
When did the the meaning of hard turn into mindlessly grinding, and gear checks?
More importantly when the hell did video games turn into jobs?!
Games are meant to be enjoyed, and played to relax from the real life.

Don't blame the "Casual crowd" just because you're a 16 year old lonely boy who lives in with his parents, and has no job. If you have the time to play 16 hours a day that's not our fault that you have no life. That's not our problem, and we shouldn't have to pay for it.

Go outside, ride a bike, read a book, get a job, study for school, go to parties, be social in the real world, and let's see how quickly you get to level x on a game, and find all the best gear.

Seriously if you have a girlfriend(A real one. They have to be real, or else it doesn't count.) There goes most of your time for gaming. I know my girlfriend would be pissed if I came home from school, and jumped on Guild Wars 2 until I went to sleep.

And if you have a girlfriend that plays the game with you... don't be a smartass. >.>

Now here's the said truth to all you Elitist idiots. Diablo 3 inferno isn't hard, and it never will be hard for it's entire life until the servers get shut down. All it is, is a gear check. Gear check doesn't make games hard, it makes them grindy, and mindless.

You want to play a hard game? Play Metro 2033 on hardcore ranger, play dishonored on the highest setting without using any of the powers.

But no. Gear checks do *not* make the game hard.

WoW isn't hard. Moving your character out of an AoE circle isn't hard. Grinding your gear to reach the next gear score isn't hard. It just takes time, and for most people. They don't have the time to sit down, and grind all night, and day.

People are even complaining that runescape has become too easy with all these free double experience weekends, and such, and how the "Veterans" of the game had to do it the "hard" way.
...Please time exactly what was hard about investing the insane amount of hours you need to have to reach level 99 in one skill.
Here's what you need to level in runescape. Money, and how do you get money? You grind some more, and then once you get the amount of gold to acquire the items you need to level another skill. You just grind some more.. This all boils down to how much time you have on your hands.

So I will repeat. THIS ISN'T HARD GAME PLAY PEOPLE. This is just TIME SINKS. There is a effing difference between the two. Stop confusing it, and get off your damn asses, and get a life.
Stop complaining about how Pro you are for having a legendary on Guild wars 2 within the first month. Stop saying you're elite, because you can beat inferno on Diablo 3. All you really did was grind endlessly for hours on edge to get these things, but if you had a life you wouldn't have done that so quickly.

That's not our problem. That is yours. Games are meant to be fun, and enjoyable. They *not* meant to be your job.
There are plenty of hard, and challenging games out there that don't require gear checks, and insane amount of hours. go play them.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Valen_Starwalker said:
Can seriously go die.
^ one hell of an opening. Am I right?
Indeed, that's a hell of an introduction.

I feel like the elitist crowd ruins games. They're always saying how the game is too easy, how they level up too fast, how they did x, y, and z within a week. Blah, blah, blah.
Yes and no. Sometimes their behavior ruins the atmosphere of a game's community, but often there's some good that comes out of their endless bitching. These are the people that obsessively play so much that they've become intimately familiar with all the workings of the game, and in some cases end up even more knowledgeable than the developers who created it. They're the ones that spot bugs and errors that went unnoticed during development and ***** about them until they get fixed. They're the ones that find exploits, that later get corrected because of their bitching and/or boasting. Like it or not, they also help the developer hash out class balancing. So in the end, their existence is still helpful to the lifespan of the game sometimes... it's just not packaged very nicely.

When did the the meaning of hard turn into mindlessly grinding, and gear checks?
I played WoW from launch day up to about six months ago. I played Diablo III on launch day (well, tried to, anyway). I'm currently playing Guild Wars 2. Yes, the gear treadmill is very much in existence, because that's what happens to be the trend in that particular genre. Ever heard of the Skinner Box? Check it out on Wikipedia. Most MMORPGs are designed to be huge Skinner Boxes. By putting gear checks you create a goal for players to work toward. The harder that goal is to reach, the longer it'll take players to get there, and the longer the game's lifespan will be. Add a new, higher tier of gear and all of the players interested in that sort of gameplay have to start all over again, further extending the game's lifespan. It's brutal for perfectionists and those suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder.

The problem is that if you make that top tier too difficult to reach, you lose players because they won't see it as being worth their time and effort. If you make that tier too easy to reach, players get there too fast and have nothing left to do, resulting in them leaving before the next tier is developed. So developers are trying to find that happy medium right now where the gear is neither too hard nor too easy to acquire. This means alienating the vocal minorities who strongly prefer the "make it extremely difficult to acquire" and "make it extremely easy to acquire" styles in order to appease the silent majority of players stuck in the middle.

Video games turned into jobs when developers figured out that there are a lot of people out there who are completely susceptible to Skinner Boxes. If you get caught up in the grind with MMORPG X, you're going to keep playing MMORPG X, and the developer is going to keep milking money from you since you're playing their game instead of MMORPG Y. We're likely to see the grindy-ness of games fluctuate a lot over the next few years as developers figure out what the general tolerances are for the majority of players toward grind. If it turns out that the majority of players tested seem to absolutely love grinding, then yeah, prepare for a hell of a lot of grinding in most AAA releases.

Don't blame the "Casual crowd" just because you're a 16 year old lonely boy who lives in with his parents, and has no job. If you have the time to play 16 hours a day that's not our fault that you have no life. That's not our problem, and we shouldn't have to pay for it.

Go outside, ride a bike, read a book, get a job, study for school, go to parties, be social in the real world, and let's see how quickly you get to level x on a game, and find all the best gear.

Seriously if you have a girlfriend(A real one. They have to be real, or else it doesn't count.) There goes most of your time for gaming. I know my girlfriend would be pissed if I came home from school, and jumped on Guild Wars 2 until I went to sleep.

And if you have a girlfriend that plays the game with you... don't be a smartass. >.>
/sigh.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I usually get at least 8 hours a day that I can devote to whatever I want, and I usually choose gaming. I'm married, I have a full-time job, I have a college degree... and I was also the assistant raid leader of a cutting-edge content clearing guild during my WoW days. I'm quite content with my life. It's easy to accuse the "hardcore" crowd of being nothing but neckbearded basement dwellers covered in Cheeto dust because it's a funny stereotype. The problem is that it's often not true. Just because some people like to spend their time going out camping or going to bars or clubs or whatever doesn't mean that their particular interests are any more or less important than the interests of someone who would rather spend their free time playing a video game.

The argument I quoted is, quite frankly, a huge example of immaturity that I think needs to disappear before society as a whole can start taking gamers seriously. By parroting it here you're only exacerbating a rather large problem within the subculture. Like it or not, your personal opinion toward other people's hobbies is just that - an opinion. It's not objective fact, and it's certainly not shared by everyone. Grow up.

You want to play a hard game? Play Metro 2033 on hardcore ranger, play dishonored on the highest setting without using any of the powers.

But no. Gear checks do *not* make the game hard.

WoW isn't hard. Moving your character out of an AoE circle isn't hard. Grinding your gear to reach the next gear score isn't hard. It just takes time, and for most people. They don't have the time to sit down, and grind all night, and day.
Challenge accepted, and challenge previously completed for both of those games. I regularly opt to play a game on its highest difficulty even on first playthroughs, and I love setting challenges for myself like "no powers" or "no kills" playthroughs.

The issue is that your examples are from games of completely different genres and styles that aren't even tangentially related to the gameplay experience offered by MMORPGs like WoW. The focus of these games isn't entirely loot progression, while for MMORPGs it typically is. You're comparing apples to oranges and acting like your argument carries weight. It doesn't. Frankly, I'm beginning to think that perhaps loot-based games simply aren't your thing, and you're looking for someone else to blame. If that's the case, perhaps don't play them? Because you're just going to keep setting yourself up for frustration if you do. I freaking hate puzzles, so I'm not going to play puzzle games and complain about the nature of their puzzles because I don't have the time or interest to figure them out.

Here's what you need to level in runescape. Money, and how do you get money? You grind some more, and then once you get the amount of gold to acquire the items you need to level another skill. You just grind some more.. This all boils down to how much time you have on your hands.

So I will repeat. THIS ISN'T HARD GAME PLAY PEOPLE. This is just TIME SINKS. There is a effing difference between the two. Stop confusing it, and get off your damn asses, and get a life.
Again, complaining about the nature of the genre. That's just how MMORPGs operate. They're intentionally designed from the get-go to be time and money sinks, since it's all about keeping you playing the game for as long as possible. If you don't like that, don't play this style of game. Seriously. We're both starting to sound like a pair of broken records.

Stop complaining about how Pro you are for having a legendary on Guild wars 2 within the first month. Stop saying you're elite, because you can beat inferno on Diablo 3. All you really did was grind endlessly for hours on edge to get these things, but if you had a life you wouldn't have done that so quickly.
And for that style of game, yes, those people are "pro" or "elite." Just like how someone with good hand-eye coordination and a 68 kill streak in Call of Duty is "pro" or "elite" or how someone who managed to solve all the puzzles in a puzzle game their first try or in record time is "pro" or "elite." Grinding is the name of the game for MMORPGs, and people who manage to grind the most or grind the fastest -ARE- the "elite" of that particular style. If that for some reason bothers you, then just don't listen to them. It's that simple. Either that, or grow a thicker skin, shrug their comments off, and continue doing what it is that YOU find entertaining.

That's not our problem. That is yours. Games are meant to be fun, and enjoyable. They *not* meant to be your job.
There are plenty of hard, and challenging games out there that don't require gear checks, and insane amount of hours. go play them.
And believe it or not, some people out there do find the grind both fun and enjoyable. Just because you don't doesn't mean your opinion is the law of the land. Ignore them, or play something better suited to your interests.

Either way, seriously, I meant it about getting a thicker skin. At the end of the day, people calling themselves "pro" and/or people insultingly using the word "casual" for you... it's just words. Words from faceless, nameless people on the internet. Sticks and Stones.

And with that, I'm out. Peace.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
I like the elitist gamers they are so fun to hear they are opinions its funny.

Kinda like trolls. I love them anb I hate them as well at times, but overall you just cant ignore what they say.

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
There is an awful lot of elitism in gaming, and it can be really unpleasant. However, I don't necessarily think the elitism comes from people thinking that they're too good to play 'easy' games, though I can certainly see that as being a form of it. To me, elitism in gaming is basically boiled down to any individual or group of people that honestly believe that they are better than everyone else and somehow above us all simply because of the way they play their games. For example, the "superior master race of PC gamers". I know a lot of people that get really uppity when they start going on about their PCs and how it has much better quality or whatever than 360 or PS3, thus making it the only real gaming console and treating anyone choosing to play on anything else like they're somehow less intelligent or that they're not actually gamers simply because they don't play on their PCs.

While there is some truth behind what you're saying, I don't think you should let it bother you this much. One of the great things about games (and many other art forms) is that it's all left to us as individuals to decide what we prefer or enjoy the most ourselves, whether it's the platform we play on, the games we play on it, if we play alone or with our friends, and so on. If someone tries to give you crap about the games you play or anything else at all, just say screw 'em.

Also, just a little side note, if you ever feel the urge to post something you feel strongly about, use stronger arguments - not the girlfriend and living the parents basement stuff. No one takes that seriously, and it just stirs up more arguments than anything else. Unless that's what you're going for then... Go for it I guess.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Valen_Starwalker said:
I would but you casuals keep fucking with them *cough*DmC*cough* You can go enjoy your casualshit but leave the hardcore stuff alone! RAWR!! I AM AN ANGRY FANBOY!!!

Seriously, for the games you mentioned I thought gear checks were for terrible players who needed better things to offset their lack of skill. If you're skilled you don't need it and you progress faster, but if you're not skilled you have to grind for the better gear.

Also you seem rather buttfrustrated that people are playing games more than you. Instead of them going outside how about you just play more? Or how about everyone spends their free time the way they want so if someone wants to play games all day and the other person wants to go out both are happy and we shouldn't judge people by our own opinions. For some people those games are fun and they like spending hours in their favorite game collecting rare items. Different strokes for different folks.

Here's a tip, ignore most gamers. They're whiny entitles brats. Enjoy the games you like how you like.

Valen_Starwalker

Nov 20, 2012
TehCookie said:
Valen_Starwalker said:
I would but you casuals keep fucking with them *cough*DmC*cough* You can go enjoy your casualshit but leave the hardcore stuff alone! RAWR!! I AM AN ANGRY FANBOY!!!

Seriously, for the games you mentioned I thought gear checks were for terrible players who needed better things to offset their lack of skill. If you're skilled you don't need it and you progress faster, but if you're not skilled you have to grind for the better gear.

Also you seem rather buttfrustrated that people are playing games more than you. Instead of them going outside how about you just play more? Or how about everyone spends their free time the way they want so if someone wants to play games all day and the other person wants to go out both are happy and we shouldn't judge people by our own opinions. For some people those games are fun and they like spending hours in their favorite game collecting rare items. Different strokes for different folks.

Here's a tip, ignore most gamers. They're whiny entitles brats. Enjoy the games you like how you like.
Um.. xD I love DmC! The DmC reboot isn't caused by "Casual Gamers". If they re-boot the series that's not our fault. That's the company's, so go be mad at capcom!

I don't want a re-boot DmC. I want a Devil May Cry that explains who the hell is Nero, and why he has Vergil's arm. (Or whatever the hell it is!) SO RAWR!!! I AM ALSO A ANGRY FANBOY!!!
Besides when lore has been establish enough to were we know what Dante did during his younger life. (Before DmC3) don't screw with it, and or if something was 100% true in the lore, like his mother being HUMAN. Then just keep it. There's no reason to make his mother human when already it's been establish she was human. It's why Sparda choose to save the humans. I understand it's a re-boot, but you don't have to screw things up that much. ANYWAYS.

I see what you're getting at, and I agree with you. If that's what they want to do in in their free times. They have every right to do so.

But that also doesn't give them the right to *****, and complain saying games are too "easy" if they spend their entire free time playing those games. This is the part that I get frustrated at. You're not meant to be at top level/bestgear/blah/blah/etc within the first month of games. That is you're fault for rushing it so much that you have nothing to do. So don't scream at the companies that make games. don't complain that games are made for "Casuals". Or they're making things too easy, etc, etc. They make them enjoyable. Not making them be a second job. This is what I have issue with. It's not companies fault, it's not the casuals gamers fault that you spend so much time on games, and when you run out of things to do within the first few weeks/first month.

If people didn't spend 8 hours a day playing a game, they wouldn't get so bored with it, and or it wouldn't be so easily to reach top level with the top gear.

I also understand that people may enjoy grinding, but asking for every game to be a grind is just being selfish.

Valen_Starwalker

Nov 20, 2012
[/quote] Snip. God I hope I did this right. o.e.

[/quote]

Thanks for the response.
You're right though. Games like Runescape, and WoW that's their style of game. It is about the loot grind, but my problem is that people mistake this as "challenging" game play when it's not. Time doesn't equal challenging. It's frustrating that people actually think that this is hard game play while there are so many other games that actually offer a hard game play.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
WoW always was casual compared to contesting raid mobs on an EQ PvP server.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
People are always going to want to think they are better than others, gamers are no different despite what some of the more antisocial claim. We'll look for anything, no matter how petty, and lord it over everyone else. We all do it from time to time. Even here on this so called "mature, intellectual" forum.

I try not to do it too much when it comes to gaming, it's only entertainment after all, not really worth the elevated blood pressure to me.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Valen_Starwalker said:
I see what you're getting at, and I agree with you. If that's what they want to do in in their free times. They have every right to do so.

But that also doesn't give them the right to *****, and complain saying games are too "easy" if they spend their entire free time playing those games. This is the part that I get frustrated at. You're not meant to be at top level/bestgear/blah/blah/etc within the first month of games. That is you're fault for rushing it so much that you have nothing to do. So don't scream at the companies that make games. don't complain that games are made for "Casuals". Or they're making things too easy, etc, etc. They make them enjoyable. Not making them be a second job. This is what I have issue with. It's not companies fault, it's not the casuals gamers fault that you spend so much time on games, and when you run out of things to do within the first few weeks/first month.

If people didn't spend 8 hours a day playing a game, they wouldn't get so bored with it, and or it wouldn't be so easily to reach top level with the top gear.

I also understand that people may enjoy grinding, but asking for every game to be a grind is just being selfish.
Everyone has a right to *****, but that doesn't mean you have to listen to them. You're bitching right now, and you don't sound any different. "WAAAH I want to play this game but I don't like it!! Change it to my taste WAH~!!" You could apply that to my DmC comment too.

Also I never said all games should be grind, but every game you mentioned are giant grindfests timesinks. Not to mention two of them are MMOs which are built on grind. That's like asking JRPGs to be less japanese or CoD to be more colorful. You may just want to look for something else if it annoys you. Gaming is a big enough medium to appeal to everyone, the issue is when people think every game has to appeal to them.

Valen_Starwalker

Nov 20, 2012
TehCookie said:
Valen_Starwalker said:

Everyone has a right to *****, but that doesn't mean you have to listen to them. You're bitching right now, and you don't sound any different. "WAAAH I want to play this game but I don't like it!! Change it to my taste WAH~!!" You could apply that to my DmC comment too.

Also I never said all games should be grind, but every game you mentioned are giant grindfests timesinks. Not to mention two of them are MMOs which are built on grind. That's like asking JRPGs to be less japanese or CoD to be more colorful. You may just want to look for something else if it annoys you. Gaming is a big enough medium to appeal to everyone, the issue is when people think every game has to appeal to them.
But the thing is. MMOs don't need to be built on a grind. They truly don't. They just need to fill the big thing with a bunch of fun content. I rather have 39235234 mini games than grinding for gear every time a update came out. Guild Wars 2 isn't that much of a grind, but it still is at the same time. It's a nice balance, and it's main sweetness is WvW, and PvP.

Nah, bitching about the changes in DmC something different. It's literally effing up the lore, and history of the games. ._. It's saddens me.

EDIT:
Which is kinda sad that you brought that CoD is colorless..
Because someone made a ENB for Battlefield 3... and it just makes the game look so amazing.
It's sad that color is washed out in most games. :c.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Valen_Starwalker said:
Indeed it is one hell of a post, and I dig it.

I can offer perspective on Guild Wars 2 since that and ToR are the only MMO's I've played.

What people need to understand is that in traditional gear grind MMO's...

...you are not great nor are you skilled. (note I am not saying all pvp does not take skill)

You are simply a coat rack for skill and greatness. The gear is what defeats your enemies, not you. Your base attack now does (5000?) more damage than your opponent AND your crit chance is 40% higher than his? Needless to say it is more than unfair, and also needless to say if you have that overwhelming advantage on someone and STILL an undergeared player manages to kill you, you are now the definition of a scrub. Congratulations.

Also, this type of situation makes a kill tally or list of accomplishments null and void. If I look at a WoW Death knight? ( I dunno any of the classes in that game lulz) and see he has like 4329 kills in pvp, what does that mean? How many of those were people equally geared as him? How many of them were low levels he ganked outside of battlegrounds?

You will always have that one person who works from home and so can log in what seems like an obscene amount of playing hours compared to normal people like me (and I'm guessing you). You will always have that guy who injures his back and is out on disability and so he played WoW for 12 hrs a day before going back to work. It happens, and hey they bought the game they should be able to play it. The problem as you say is the attitude. I don't really PvP much in guild wars 2, partly because I'm making my own legendary (making great progress too :D ) and partly because when I step back and hear "hardcore" pvp'ers talk about their accomplishments it just seems so...inconsequential... I'm not out to trivialize PvP but I just tend to see it as whoever sees who first, stun locks first, babysits cooldowns more efficiently is the winner. I dunno just seems..lame I guess..?

My biggest criticism/suggestion for elitists or just general hyper competitive people has always been simply this.. before you go spout off about your rank/k2d ratio/gear etc. take a moment to realize that you actually earned those, and perhaps you could let them speak for you. You likely exist in a clique/guild of other competitive people so they will take notice of it, as will many others. Tons of people like to look at leaderboards even if they don't even compete. Just leave it at that. If you played well enough and earned that stuff legitimately then that is something to be proud of, and let that be enough.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
that grind is why i still don't have ether dragon set on Vin, seriously, fuck those drop rates.

course, i've never run into people bragging about it, and :D the latest update has been slaughtering every body, even the guys with fully enhanced dragon gear, kinda hard to be an elitist prick when your 'god tier gear' if effectively tinfoil

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Well, for a minute there I thought this was going to be about 'PC Elitists' thanks to recent console 'news' [rumours], but I'm pleasantly surprised to find out its not.
Either way however, I don't entirely agree.

Valen_Starwalker said:
And casuals can go die because they're always complaining about how hard a game is, and how it took them a month to get anything good, and how they keep dying at some point near the end of the game.

YouseewhatIdidthere?

Really, this is just people's preferences in game difficulties. What you said there basically comes down to "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!", which I hope I don't need to tell you the problem with.
Granted, they've got the same problem in some cases, but starting a 'No U' argument isn't going to help anyone.

In Diablo 3 they yelled, and whined about how Inferno was being nerf.(Even though it was damn right down too insane.. I like a challenge, but I don't like beating my head against the brick wall,and that brick wall had spikes on it, and deadly poison that was painful)
Then don't play inferno. There are lower difficulties for a reason. Its not necessary to play on inferno unless you're trying to be 'elite' and beat the hardest difficulty, in which case there's nothing wrong with complaining about it being made easier for the next lot. Its like you had to get a 98 to get into your uni course, and the next year only has to get an 87, whilst your course is also made simply so that they can understand it. Do you have any reason to complain?
Whilst you might say "But this is just a videogame", I'll cover that sort of thing later.

In Guild Wars 2 people already have legendary weapons.(Even though most of those people got carried by their guilds.)
I'm going to assume you mean people are complaining about already having legendary weapons, otherwise you're being a hypocrite here.
And really I don't have too much of a problem with this. An MMO relies on end game content and grind for its longevity. You can't add 20 new dungeons a week so that people always have something new to do, you either have to force them to take longer than that week to complete the 1 dungeon that you have - by forcing grinding thanks to how MMO mechanics work - or by adding in content for them to do for the rest of the time they have after beating the one dungeon you made - through PvP or grinding for rare items.
What removing grind does to this is force you to either update your MMO rediculously fast with new content, or have your players rely solely on PvP and raids for late game content - and neither lasts long, the latter especially when you have legendary gear.
Because of this, the game loses any purpose to playing it. You've done everything, what do you do now?
When you buy an MMO, its not so that you can play it once and then stop. You expect to be given long lasting entertainment from it. Many people accept that this involves grind, and play expecting this so that it takes them a while, and has a good reward for it all. If you manage to finish the MMO quickly, and it has no end game content, it kinda failed in your reason for buying it, and probably would have been better off as a single player game.
Its like buying the new CoD and finding out there is 3 missions in the campaign, and a whopping 3 maps for multiplayer with 1 or 2 game modes. You'd complain, because its not the content you should be getting.

The problem is.. That all of these games aren't even hard..
That depends on your definition of hard.
Tactically hard, strategically hard, hard in a way that requires excessive skill to beat?
'cause TBH, I can't think of many - if any - modern games that actually have been hard. Really, they're all quite easy, except in PvP - where MMOs aren't always easy either.

Its not quite just gear checks.
Its gear, stats, level, status effect and numerous other checks, all of which you are required to calculate and form an optimal path from the second you create your character in order to be effective during multiplayer raids or PvP. If you mess up even 1 point on level up, you're not going to be in the top elite. Now, you don't need to be in the top elite, and you can easily do a semi-casual build on lower raid difficulties and still come out ok, but its all in the pre-planning, and trying to come up with a better build than everyone else so you can get more XP and loot, win more in PvP, and be recognised as a stronger player.
I also have to ask, in what way is this a job? That's my way of relaxing - I forget about real world problems and sink myself into the easily comprehensible world of numbers, where I have simple rules to obey whilst making my numbers as big as I can. The grind part of it for gear is a lot like playing at a Casino. Each fight you lose something - be it a couple of potions, some time, gear durability, ect. - and you gamble this on the potential return of getting a rare item. Since when has gambling been a job?
Basically, this again comes back to "Stop liking what I don't like". You may not like this type of game, but they exist because a fair number of people do.

And this is why I decided to write a response. The arrogant and rude insulting method that earns you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
For bonus negative points, you used a derivative of the "Get a life" phrase. Congratulations, I have 0 respect for you.
1. Of course everybody who is a high level in a game must be some 16 year old kid living in his mother's basement. There's no other way someone could progress quickly through a game, or have time to play it. No, that story about the US ambassador or W/E who played and was an incredibly influential [And doubtlessly high level] player on Eve and was killed overseas was obviously a lie, only 16 year olds have the time to devote to games, and of course nobody with such an interest in games could possibly hold down a job.
2. All these people definitely play 16 hours a day. You know, they couldn't be good or knowledgable players of the game, and be able to plan how to quickly advance with only 3-4 hours a day at best to play games. There's no way they could be doing anything but sitting at home in their mothers basement all day to progress quickly.
3. Define a life, 'cause I have one, and it mostly revolves around videogames. It may not be a life that you'd enjoy, but I doubt I'd enjoy the sort of life you'd like me to 'live'. Because of this, I really think you should get a life. Why go outside and watch the same old sky, ride down the same old streets, see the same old man at the grocery market when you could visit new and exiting worlds each day and meet millions of new people?
Simply because someone enjoys different things to a different extent to you doesn't mean they don't have a life, it simply means they enjoy things to a different extent than you do. To assume otherwise is just arrogant and presumptuous.

Yeah, I was right. I wouldn't enjoy the kind of life you'd want me to 'live'.
Bike Riding is boring.
Why read a non-interactive book to get a story when I can play a game to experience it first hand instead? That and the fact that I've already finished all the books I own that I find interesting years back, and I haven't seen anything that's caught my eyes in the way of books recently.
I have a job, your point?
Studying is incredibly boring, and ATM not necessary in the slightest, so why would I?
I go to parties when they're hosted. About half of them are LAN parties. I don't like drinking parties because the people there are, quite frankly, often idiots, and try to hook me up with some girl I've never met before, have no interest in, and will never meet again. Yeah... fun...
Why be social in the real world, when I can do it in a virtual one? No, really, is there some written law that says "Thou shalt only be social IRL, and in game you must be mute". I go online, launch up Skype/Steam/Teamspeak and chat with my friends whilst playing games with them all the time. We talk more then when we meet up IRL because there's more to actually talking about, seeing as what's happening in the world ATM is either depressing or boring, and therefore not interesting to talk about.
And you know what, even doing this I can still beat games rather quickly, even on the highest settings. Its really not that hard. Stay up till 1-3 am, and play the game. I'm a jack of all trades when it comes to everything, including games, so I'll never be as fast as the pro/elitist players you talk about - who, apart from professionals, the one's I've met and talked to IRL actually have less time than I do to play games thanks to their Uni courses, yet they still kick my ass and progress faster than I do in all games - but I'm slightly above average in skill in all game types except racing and games like Tekken. Give me Dishonoured, and tell me to do a speed runthrough of it, and I'll finish it in a night - or just over. Skip sidequests, skip trying to be peaceful, and just bumrush the goal, my skill counteracts what I lose by not leveling up as much or gaining as many upgrades. Its the same for all games. If I want to speed towards something, I can. Most of the time, however, I prefer to play at a leisurely pace and try everything, which is probably part of the reason those 'pros' are that much better than me =P

You instantly overrule yourself with this statement:

Seriously, with this you're just acknowledging that your previous statement is invalid because girls that enjoy playing games as much if not more than their boyfriends do exist. Just because yours doesn't doesn't mean everybody's is the same. Seriously.

Now here's the said truth to all you Elitist idiots. Diablo 3 inferno isn't hard, and it never will be hard for it's entire life until the servers get shut down. All it is, is a gear check. Gear check doesn't make games hard, it makes them grindy, and mindless.
Its a different kind of difficulty, and it depends on your goals. Skill wise, no, its not hard. Planning wise, its easier than other RPG/Dungeon crawls, but you've still got to build your character correctly with the correct spells and items for each situation. Individual battles don't take that long, which indicates that if it takes significantly longer to do it on Inferno, it is actually harder. You can't just bumrush your way through as easily, and have to spend time preparing or have insane skill and luck. Not your type of difficulty? Not our problem.

What's this?
Self imposed restrictions?
Play Diablo 3 on Inferno only using the base equipment.

There we go, now it can be considered hard because we've imposed an arbitrary restriction on ourselves, right?

Really, any FPS isn't really hard. Its just a matter of pointing your mouse at the enemy, clicking, and moving into cover when you need to. That's not hard, its amazingly easy.

Being entirely honest here, what difficulty these days isn't just a timesink?
In FPS and action games it just gives enemies more HP/Damage, making them take longer to kill, or having them actually be accurate so you have to pop in and out of cover a bit more often, or actually use those heavy weapons you found.
RPGs suffer the same problem.
MMOs do too, hence the grind to easily overcome this problem.
In puzzle games it just takes you a bit longer of looking at the puzzle to figure it out.

Not to mention, repetition in other games is a form of grind as well. Its die, redo level, die, redo level until you get through. Its just grinding until you remember the patterns for the level and can move on, which is only marginally different from RPG grind, and is in no way more difficult. Death doesn't even have a penalty, it just adds more time to what it took you to get somewhere.

People are even complaining that runescape has become too easy with all these free double experience weekends, and such, and how the "Veterans" of the game had to do it the "hard" way.
...Please time exactly what was hard about investing the insane amount of hours you need to have to reach level 99 in one skill.
What is hard: Doing it in a reasonable amount of time.
Are you going to call that guy who took 3 months to beat CoD BLOPS2 on the hardest setting pro?
No, it took him too long.
Same goes for MMO pros. You take too long, you're not pro. To get there in a reasonable amount of time, you need to know the world, know the quests, know what items and abilities to get, know what skills to train when, when you're a high enough level to do certain quests, and when you should steer clear of them, where the rare items that you want are, where the most effective loot and XP farming areas are - ect. Once you know this, you can greatly optimise your playing and get to high levels at fast rates, as opposed to those other people who take years or significant portions thereof to get there.
Of course, thanks to PvP, none of this really matters as to how pro you are as if you can't measure up in PvP, you're not. This is hard for all genres, as you're facing the intelligence of another human being. MMOs are not exempt from this.

1. I have yet to see a modern game that has its difficulty as something other than a timesink, really.
2. Again with the get a life. Seriously, get some perspective on things and think before you speak.

*sigh*
Seriously.
Again with the get a life.
You love that phrase don't you?
Get over yourself. That's all that's left to say on this matter.

Again with the "Stop liking what I don't like" talk. Really, is it that hard to comprehend that someone might like something different to you?

Also, what are these hard games you speak of?
If they're old, odds are the people you're complaining about have played them before, 'cause they're usually not 16 year old kids, but instead experienced adult gamers [Dependent on genre] who grew up with that stuff. If they're new... I'm looking forward to this. No arbitrarily imposed restrictions like "Only use x" or "Don't level Y" either, as you can do that to MMOs and such too.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Valen_Starwalker said:
You want to play a hard game? Play Dishonored on the highest setting without using any of the powers.
I've been there, done that. My very first run through the game when I got it was geared toward obtaining Clean Hands(no kills), Shadow(never being detected) and Mostly Flesh and Steel(completing the game without purchasing any upgrades).

I was detected maybe 3 times during a whole mission trying to find my way through the area and I used Blink only when it was absolutely necessary to reach a higher ground. Dishonored really isn't difficult.

Valen_Starwalker said:
I don't know where you're from, but in America a 16 year old has to live with their parents; they aren't allowed to get their own place. Once they're finished with their homework(if they even do it) then they don't really have much else to bust out their time on unless they're into physical activities. Oh, and also: Someone the age of 16 and still in high school isn't required to have a job. A lot of them would rather not have a job at that age. Would you want to go to school from 7am-3pm(hours may vary), go to work for 6-7 hours and then come home so you can do homework until you fall asleep and repeat the next day? I know I certainly didn't want to. It almost sounds like you're trying to tell us that anyone who has time to do anything has no life.

Elitism isn't going to disappear, like it or not. So I might as well mirror you, because I can:

Stop complaining that Elitism exists. Stop talking about how people like to show off their time and effort. All you've done is add more complaints to the pile of complaints against people complaining. If you had a life, you might not see all this junk and feel compelled to whine about it to a bunch of people that really don't care.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Valen_Starwalker said:

But that also doesn't give them the right to *****, and complain saying games are too "easy" if they spend their entire free time playing those games.
Uh... no. Wrong. They absolutely have every right to do so. Last I checked, the internet still had some semblance of freedom of speech. Just because you don't like what someone has to say doesn't mean they have no right to say it.

You're not meant to be at top level/bestgear/blah/blah/etc within the first month of games. That is you're fault for rushing it so much that you have nothing to do. So don't scream at the companies that make games. don't complain that games are made for "Casuals". Or they're making things too easy, etc, etc. They make them enjoyable. Not making them be a second job. This is what I have issue with. It's not companies fault, it's not the casuals gamers fault that you spend so much time on games, and when you run out of things to do within the first few weeks/first month.
The average player isn't supposed to be "top tier" within the first month, and that's the person that games are developed around. Like it or not, not everyone is average. Some people are below average, and move along at a snail pace. Some people are above average, and move along with lightning speed and efficiency. Games aren't typically developed around the extreme cases, they're developed around whatever the average is. That doesn't mean that the extreme cases simply cease to exist.

While I don't necessarily agree with them demanding additional content, I can't condemn them for it either. Again, freedom of speech. That doesn't mean the developer has to cave in to their demands. In all likelihood, the developer won't. And when the developer doesn't, those player will cry for a while and move on to the next game hoping for something more aligned with their tastes.

Again, whether you like it or not, what is "fun" or "enjoyable" is 100% subjective, and not everyone finds what you see as fun and enjoyable to actually be such. From my understanding of how you play games like MMORPGs, I'd likely find your ideal conditions to be terribly boring. I'm not going to scream at developers to cater to me, but I'm not going to move at a snails pace either. I'm far better at the grind and gear treadmill than that.

Firstly, how a player chooses to play a game that they paid for is really none of your, or anyone else's, business. If they want to play it for 8 hours a day and get through the content in a week, that's their prerogative.

Secondly, just because they may ask for games to be made into grindfests doesn't mean that developers have to do so. At the end of the day, Publishers will greenlight and developers will develop the projects that they anticipate will make them a profit. If it's looking like gear grinding is popular, they'll make grindy gear treadmill games. We're seeing a lot of grindy gear treadmill games, so clearly, there's a sizable, marketable audience. If you're not a part of that audience, don't play that type of game. Again, incredibly simple solution.

...but my problem is that people mistake this as "challenging" game play when it's not. Time doesn't equal challenging. It's frustrating that people actually think that this is hard game play while there are so many other games that actually offer a hard game play.
Honestly, who the fuck cares what people find challenging? I find puzzle games challenging, and I'm sure there are people out there who are awesome at them. I find shooters to be a cakewalk (I beat Modern Warfare 3 on Veteran difficulty in roughly six hours on launch day, for example) while my spouse is fairly terrible at them (roughly 15 hours to do the same, on the game's lowest difficulty). If someone wants to call a geargrind challenging, how in any way at all does that affect me? It doesn't. Funny thing about opinions, everyone's got 'em, and they're not all the same. What you don't see as challenging isn't going to be suddenly easy for everyone out there.

And with how much time I spent raiding in WoW, I'm honestly going to disagree with you on a fundamental level about acquiring top-tier gear in that game. It's not just "move out of the void zones." If you actually participated in the top raids, especially from Wrath of the Lich King and onward, many of the bigger bosses actually have pretty complex mechanics. Mechanics that are made all the more complex when you factor in having to get 10 or 25 people to all actually work together and do things right. Have you ever lead a raid team? That alone is a huge challenge. It's like herding kittens. Trying to coordinate a 25 man raid team and get them to actually successfully complete some of the later raids in the game is leaps and bounds more difficult to me personally than literally -ANYTHING- I've seen in the FPS genre as a whole for going on two decades now, and the FPS genre is one that regularly is put on a pedestal as being challenging and requiring immense skill. Like another poster said earlier, different strokes for different folks. Deal with it.

But the thing is. MMOs don't need to be built on a grind. They truly don't. They just need to fill the big thing with a bunch of fun content. I rather have 39235234 mini games than grinding for gear every time a update came out. Guild Wars 2 isn't that much of a grind, but it still is at the same time. It's a nice balance, and it's main sweetness is WvW, and PvP.
Fundamentally, no. MMORPGs don't have to built on grind. The problem is that MMORPGs are ludicrously expensive to develop and maintain. The amount of money it would cost to develop and MMORPG with nothing but "fun content" (ignoring the fact that, again, fun is incredibly subjective) would be astronomical. We're talking GDP of multiple countries combined. If you ever feel bored, check out the development costs for recent MMORPGs like Star Wars: The Old Republic. That game was so incredibly expensive to make, and did so poorly on launch (compared to EA/Bioware's expectations) that people thought it might actually have long-term crippling effects on EA. Some people actually theorized that it might freakin' bankrupt EA. Absurd, I know. But that's the kind of monetary stakes we're talking here. MMORPGs are huge, huge money. When that much cash is being risked, it's typically a safer bet to go with something easy and proven to work. What's easy and has been proven to work in MMORPGs? Loot grinds. That's why even in games like Guild Wars 2 you're going to see a loot grind, because it's safe, and the publisher/developer know a huge portion of the playerbase loves that stuff. It's how they hook those players so that they keep giving the company money. It's a sad fact of the genre, and it's going to take one hell of a crash in the genre before things are going to change. So if loot grinds aren't your thing, as I said before, maybe you should be looking into other genres and keeping away from MMORPGs. What you're doing is like sticking your hand right back onto the hot stove over and over again because maybe this time it won't be hot.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
Games are meant to be played anyway the player wants to. If they want to grind, let them grind. If they want a relaxing experience, than they can have that too. Some games are designed with one experience in mind, yet others can be played in many different ways. Nobody has the right how to tell someone HOW to play a game though.

However i agree with the rest of the rant. Elitists are annoying and that goes for just about any type, whether it be punk elites, sports elites, pokemon elites or whatever else. They are ALWAYS annoying. They are stubborn children really and we just gotta deal with them. Ignore them is all you can do, don't let them get to you and ruin something you love.

Also i agree MMO's are never difficult. they are RPG's so the difficulty comes from getting to know the gear, classes, items and how to use them together effectively. Also it's mostly just grinding to get experience. Level = enemies that are defeatable.

I never liked MMO's. Even single-player RPG's have trouble making a game difficult without having to grind. Games that put a level cap on areas do a good job at forcing the player to use nothing but strategy and customization to win a battle. Now THAT can get difficult and very fun. I like a game that challenges me mentally. A good example of this is LOST ODYSSEY one of the best current-gen (or last gen?) RPG's.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Joccaren said:
Uber snip
I just wanted to let you know that I thought your post was phenomenal. I agree with you on pretty much every single point, and you stated them far more eloquently than I can. I truly hope everyone else interested in coming into this thread reads it.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
People dislike things.
You can't keep everyone happy, especially not in today's society where everybody is overly self-entitled and opinionated.
That's the unfortunate truth of the matter.