Ellen Page: Naughty Dog Ripped Off My Likeness

Dec 16, 2009
ddont know the actress n never played the game.
why are the 2 pictures black and white? was the B&W pic of the actress the closest to the game charater, so make the screen capture B&W?
anyway, the similarities for me are small

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Lilani said:
I definitely thought this was the game she was doing mocap for. It seems she isn't going to sue at this point[footnote]And I don't think she should, even though she would have legal grounds to there's no way she could come out of the situation looking good.[/footnote], but I think Naughty Dog should just admit that perhaps a few people did talk around the office that it did look like Ellen Page, or even perhaps that she was one of their inspirations when coming up with the character. They should just be honest, I think that's all Ellen is after. I don't see how such a huge group of people could have worked in this project and not ONE of them spoke up and mentioned at some point "Hey guys...doesn't this look like that chick from Juno?"
Especially before the re-model. Which they said wasn't motivated by her signing on to Beyond Two Souls.

Yeah, that is bullshit. Just be honest.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
If someone used my likeness to make a character in a video game, all I would want would be a copy of the game. And I would pay for it. But I guess people who are famous and have a lot of money have more reason to sue people.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Meh, seems like a weak case. The fact that Ellie is based on an actual actress besides Ellen Page doesn't help her case either. I bet you could find a moderately well known actor who looks like the guy as well, the world is filled with people and there's only so much possible diversity.

I hope nothing comes out of this, it'll definitely be a loss for artistic liberty if you can get sued for something this stupid and hard to prove.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Couldn't care less if I tried. Only 2 hours ago I was thinking that Duff Goldman & Jontron looked alike. Real or digital, intentional or coincidentally, there's always someone out there who looks just like you.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
You mean someone got mad at a game making a girl with the same hairstyle and outfit design that around 80% of the girls around where I live have? *bangs head on desk*

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
I knew someone who was the spitting image of Harry Potter. Same age, same face, even had a small scar on his forehead for a little while because of an accident he had with a table in class. Needless to say he didn't make a huge fuss out of it. Its kind of offensive to know that there are people who look like characters from movies or games that look the same, who probably even get teased for it and they have to deal with it while people in a position like Ellen make a fuss and complain about it, sometimes even making a lawsuit out of it.

I think she needs a reality check.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I think this actually just highlights how generic Ellen Page really looks. Like not in a bad way. Just that she wouldn't stand out as particularly unique looking...which again isn't a bad thing just saying lol

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
If someone used my likeness to make a character in a video game, all I would want would be a copy of the game. And I would pay for it. But I guess people who are famous and have a lot of money have more reason to sue people.
Let me guess, you're not an actor, or someone whose livelihood comes from their likeness?
And I'm also guessing you're not working on another game that will now be confused with this one?

(And who is sueing anyone?)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah there's a bit of a resemblance. I wouldn't think it'd be enough to be a big deal though. Perhaps Naughty Dog needs to put in one of those Disclaimers like they have in movies and TV shoes, "This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to real people or events is purely coincidental."

Alex Mac

Jul 5, 2011
Daaaah Whoosh said:
The hell you talking about litigation for? She didn't even say "I want compensation" or "Don't buy The Last of Us." The woman said she didn't quite like it because she's in another game. She acted in it, mocapped, etc.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
To tell the truth, I didn't even know that there was a problem before these people started bitching about it.
Heck, I could draw a character, would look completely original to me, but if I started making money on it, somebody, somewhere would make a claim that I used their image for it.
Jeez, nothing creative can go without somebody trying to rip it apart anymore.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Alex Mac said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
The hell you talking about litigation for? She didn't even say "I want compensation" or "Don't buy The Last of Us." The woman said she didn't quite like it because she's in another game. She acted in it, mocapped, etc.
Oh. So, this article is about a famous person being angry about something? I guess I just assumed something more interesting was going on. Sorry about that.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Alex Mac said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Oh. So, this article is about a famous person being angry about something? I guess I just assumed something more interesting was going on. Sorry about that.
I wouldn't say "angry", a tad bit annoyed yes, if she was angry she would have sued already.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Thankfully there's no such thing as personality or likeness rights in the UK, and hopefully it will stay that way.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
I dont see the resemblance. Besides the little girl looks nothing like the adult ellen page. Sure they are both caucasian,and have similar hair styles....but i honestly don't see anything blatant face lifting

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
This doesn't upset me at all because I have true doubts that she actually feels that way. Note in her quote she mentioned Beyond Two Sould; this is probably just some ploy to get free promotion for her upcoming game. Hell, if it's not an idea from her agent it darn-well could have been Sony's idea to say it.

Above

Oct 3, 2009
Sorry for making Ellie look like a human, But seriously, why wouldn't you want to be modeled into a game, Especially when the character is Ellie, shes Awesome

I do believe they have all made up now though. N'awwww.

Amazing game though.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Trust the good citizens of the internet to take one brief comment and blow it into a week-long debacle. Especially when said comment was quite justified. At no point did I hear Ellen Page demanding financial or other compensation, at no point did I hear her threatening to bring legal action against Naughty Dog, she simply commented upon the likeness of the character - which if you're going to deny exists, I'm going to recommend you see an eye doctor about glasses.