Ellen Page Nudity in Beyond: Two Souls Triggers Aggressive Sony Response

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I'm honestly not sure what they expected. You're making a game with a female protagonist. Someone, somewhere, is bound to try and get some sort of nude images of them. It happened to Lara Croft way back in the day (though I think she wasn't really modelled on a real person to the extent Jodie is to Ellen Page). I guess this is the sad nature of the games culture we live in.

Just a quick, slightly unrelated question about BTS, was the shower scene required? Was it tasteful? Just curious.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
No I just checked it out, they rendered her ladyparts with pubes and all. (Thanks for obligating me to actually do that by the way. :p)

And wow it is actually quite detailed and realistic, creepy. I do agree totally it is Sony covering their ass as they are probably rubbing their hands with glee at the free Ellen Page naked press this is getting.
In that case disregard my previous post, although it is still likely the model you see ingame without cloths on. This isn't that uncommon as models of people on model sites are anatomically correct, so it appears to be standard for models. A quick search on turbosquid etc of people will show lots of 3D male/female models that are correct, with and without cloths.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Isn't content control of that kind usually the role of the publisher's production department?

Or of the first party? I know for a fact that Nintendo's Lotcheck team takes content VERY seriously.

So, erm, who's the First Party? Sony.
Who's the Publisher? Sony.
Who missed that? Sony.
Who is getting mad after the fact? Sony.

Notice anything?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I guess it makes sense that they'd render the entire body. Anything less and it'd be too few polygons to accuratly capture emotions (Yes, I know character models are generally fully rendered regardless, just joking).

It's not like it is actually ellen page's body. It's still just 1's and 0's and it's only the fact that it was modeled after a known star that makes people pay attention. Weird as I've never thought of her as a physically attractive actress. I've always enjoyed her character's personalities and she's pretty. But I never thought of her body as anything particularly above average.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Me55enger said:
I would suggest there is going to be a cover up but clearly they're not very good at them.

Still, another notch on the bedpost for the lumbering hulk that is the sex question in gaming.
This has nothing to do with sex in gaming and everything to do with "Oh, you goddamned pervs, what the bloody hell".

Can't say I'd be very impressed if I shot a scene in a mo-cap suit where I was, say, sleeping, and the devs then rendered the scene complete with my dick and covered it with a blanket, hoping no one would notice.

I'm not exceedingly attractive either, so don't bring up that silliness of "well, she's not a stunner, so what does she care?" It's an incredibly stupid and demeaning thing to bring up.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I went and found the pictures and I don't see what the big deal is. During normal gameplay nobody is going to see the digital breasts in question.

As to why the devs modeled them to begin with; maybe it's SOP to do a full detailed model, maybe they weren't sure exactly what they wanted to show, or maybe they didn't know what would show until they nailed down all the character motions and camera angles.

In any case, if Sony wanted the discovery to go away, they should have just stayed quiet and let the brief interest in it flare up and quickly die. Instead they've built a stage around it and put a spotlight on it.

Tentaquil

Oct 21, 2011
Why are they so buttmad about this. It says in the source article that the body is not even that of Page's, and why bother render it if they didn't expect SOMEONE in the many people who play it to see it.

But I guess....

Her body wasn't ready....

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Why, David Cage? Why do all of your games have nude models which go unused, and someone finds them, and it causes an uproar? You're laughing right now, aren't you?

David Cage sucks. And this is kind of creepy because Ellen Page could pass as a young boy.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I'm also surprised Sony isn't having their balls busted by the ESRB as well. Last time I checked, the game wasn't even rated for partial nudity, let alone full frontal nudity.

Aug 1, 2010
Rednog said:
Removing something like this form the internet...oh Sony & Page that's just precious.
This was my immediate first thought.

Yes Sony, because "Scrub X from the internet" can totally work.

Also it's kind of silly in the first place. There have been shopped CG nudes of actresses since the dawn of man.

Though to be fair, this crusade will probably sell quite a few copies of the game. All publicity involving Ellen Page naked is good publicity as they say...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Usually the texturing of genitalia/nipples is not common as it would be wasted time, from what I've seen anyway. Odd practices there.

Well, I suppose it's a good thing for her that she didn't feature in a moddable Bethesda game...

freedash22

Jun 7, 2013
Saw the images online and I was underwhelmed. The shower scene is really nothing special. I have found greater delight in nude mods of Skyrim with hi-res skin textures and custom settings so I really can't call this one attractive at the least (no offense to Sony, David or "Jodie"). I really tried hard to get happy emotions out of this but it just wasn't there. Ofcourse, I can imagine Sony using their full legal might to stop the power of the internet once again (or bully it into submission). I can also imagine Ellen Page suing David and Co. into extinction and devolving this into yet another overblown legal circus just because.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
You know, I actually have some respect for someone who will render something in detail even if it is unlikely it will ever be seen.

This is a bit creepy though, considering it is an actual person, but someone has already said that modeling all the "features" of a character is standard practice so I guess I'm okay with it a little.

At this point, it depends on how Page feels about the whole thing and whether or not it was stated that she should not bee shown nude in her contract.

I'm guessing to all the non-Americans out there, freaking out about some nipples seems a bit silly.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Probably already mentioned...but I'm surprised nobody thought of this during game development...this is the internet, after all.

Heck, these exact same things happened to the character models from Heavy Rain. In fact, the same thing happened in Mass Effect as well. People extracted the model for Miranda Lawson mere weeks after game launch.

This would place Yvonne Strahovski in the same boat as Ellen Page, yet they never kicked up any flags back during ME2's launch. It's most likely because the "offending" models were never in the game (as in B:2S), but crafted afterwords.

She's most likely had to deal with the photoshopped stuff of her already, and Yvonne's character and likeness are never in danger of being confused for someone who is underage (as in certain B:2S scenes).

Doesn't mean it's right, just saying that the internet being what it is, there was ample evidence that this WOULD happen.