Ellen Page Nudity in Beyond: Two Souls Triggers Aggressive Sony Response

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
*googled* Bit too young looking for my tastes but whatever.

I got nothing against showing a nude showering scene but do think it's not right to have been done without the actresses permission though.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
I've always found it weird that in an internet chock full of easily available high quality tits and fannies that people go so ga ga over someone's bits just because they're famous.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Credossuck said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Who the hell is Ellen Page, is she the one who starred in that 90s sitcom Ellen?
Juno. The boring girl from juno.
Whats juno? A boring film. About teen preg and adoption crazy people.
I think also people in Geekdom are partially fans of her because of her minor role as Kitty Pryde aka Shadowcat in the X-Men The Last Stand movie (which is hated and rightly so)... But other than that I have no clue what the infatuation with her is.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Sony is just trying to cover it's butt from potential lawsuits I think. "We tried to fix it, really!"
But I'm sure they know that it is futile.
Not to mention that publicity is publicity.

Anyways, I wonder how many people have the ability to "damage her career" with a few clips of accidental, not-real nudity.
Who would even really want to?

Either way, this information has not changed my opinion on this person or the game.

04whim said:
I felt a microscopic amount of sympathy for her at first. Then I was reminded that she got mad at Naughty Dog for making a character that looked a little bit like her and yeah, I suddenly don't care.
I think that was just the headlines that stated that.
From what I read it was more like a slightly annoyed comment, rather than full blown outrage

FiatCelebrity

Aug 25, 2010
It could also be likely that the fully redered nude body was a stock model. I'm 100% positive CG artists don't start with a cube every time they want to make a new human character in a game.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Why would you render her bits if you aren't going to show them? Wouldn't it have been much easier to make her look like a Barbie doll?
But then the modeller and animator wouldn't have had so much fun....

Honestly, I have no idea...

Having not played Heavy Rain or Two Souls I can't jump on the band-wagon that is the "These games have really bad story/writing" but... I mean, seriously...
How stupid are some people...

If you put in something... ANYTHING that is of a questionable nature in a game, people will dig it up, and show the world... Fully-modelling a nude (female)character model is just asking for a shitstorm...

Although by comparison, what would have happened if it was the guy in the shower and this happened?
but yeah, news teams will eat this up... Gamers are childish fools and the world will keep spinning...

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
As far as why they'd include the naughty bits if they didn't intend to show them in-game...well think of it this way. Not including them would be like spending dozens of hours making an anatomically correct marble statue, and then for whatever reason just not including the nipples and the rest of the stuff. If you're going to put in all that time, you may as well go all the way, especially if millions of dollars are going into it.
It's also just as much for future-proofing as much as anything else. It's easy to cover the stuff up, it's harder to add it, should it be needed. If they need a topless/nude character in the future, they can just re-use the body and swap the face or whatever, and save a bunch of money. Make your 100% anatomically correct human model and reuse it for any and all future projects. The artist might also want to have something for his portfolio, so there's that too.

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
Wait they actually bothered to create nipples and a vagina on the model? I'd have thought it'd be like the Sims where if you get past the obstruction it's a Barbie doll.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It's a non issue. Ellen Page is currently 26 years old: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Page despite her tendency to play characters substantially younger than she is in real life. What's more her taste of material with films such as "Hard Candy" and TV like "The Trailer Park Boys", shows she's not exactly a prude when it comes to sexually charged material (which "Hard Candy" is, despite it's overall message).

My first thought here is that this is right around the time in an actress' career where a sex tape accidently gets leaked. This strikes me as being something similar, and it occurs to me that the way this is being handled is generating TONS of publicity (and doubtlessly sympathy) without an actual nude photos or videos. Sony itself being vague in it's threats of legal action seems to be mostly trying to help drum things up, publicity for Ellen helps them if they are planning to use her for other projects in the near future. These kinds of stunts aren't all that uncommon nowadays, and while this is a new spin, I just can't bring myself to take it seriously. It's right up there with how a photographer allegedly took advantage of an underage Miley Cyrus years ago... something which was probably staged to gauge interest in her as a sex symbol, and worked to determine her current career direction (although I imagine her daddy helped despite their apparent "falling out" understand her father was a dude who made a career largely out of shaking his hunky butt in too tight jeans in the face of drooling women, Miley is just like daddy, but from the other side of the gender equasion).

My advice is just to ignore it. When she turns 30 Ellen Page will probably be doing at least pseudo-nude scenes everywhere and will twerk with a pitbull for a pay check.

-Axle-

Jun 30, 2011
Jingle Fett said:
As far as why they'd include the naughty bits if they didn't intend to show them in-game...
Just to add to this post (and I'm sure this has probably been said in the previous pages), its not uncommon for models to be fully rendered / drawn. This isn't something to do with Ellen Page specifically. Even the Cave Troll in LOTR had fully rendered genitals, with accompanying physics to boot. The only difference I suppose is that no one is trying to hack that to get to see what's under the loin cloth (what am I saying, its the Internet, I'm sure its SOMEONE's thing)

Anyways, the most disappointing part of this whole development is the fact about how people react to it. It just goes to show how young the entire industry / community still is when the mere sight of a naked body is enough to raise all sorts of alarms (and I don't mean young in terms of age).

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Could someone please convert and upload that model to Gmod?
Now, THAT would be awesome!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
an annoyed writer said:
I'm more jaded than anything about it, honestly. Cage has a history of putting nudity in his games, and I simply wasn't surprised about this showing up, since it sounds like something he, as a director, approves, whether the actors/actresses like it or not.
Can you name one other anatomically correct model in one of his games?

Serious question, because I don't follow Cage's work that far. I'm seriously interested to know whether there's a pattern.

Bioware games have a reputation for sex scenes, but it would be considered out of the blue if they did something with explicit nudity.

The DOA games are known for fanservice, but it'd still be a surprise if they started including nipples and pubic hair (mods by the fans don't count, because that's not the studio doing it).

In either case, someone could damn well sign up for something that was not to be expected from past bodies of work. So please, if this has happened before, enlighten me. Otherwise, I don't think there's much comparison.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jingle Fett said:
Not including them would be like spending dozens of hours making an anatomically correct marble statue, and then for whatever reason just not including the nipples and the rest of the stuff.
A sculptor is unlikely to spend extra time on detail that won't be shown. Painters don't generally paint fully-drawn boobs then cover them up.

We're not talking about assets that aren't included for "whatever reason." We're talking about ones that have no actual for the final product.

This would be roughly like then chiseling pants to cover up a statue's nipples and "the rest of the stuff" you've already carved.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jingle Fett said:
Not including them would be like spending dozens of hours making an anatomically correct marble statue, and then for whatever reason just not including the nipples and the rest of the stuff.
A sculptor is unlikely to spend extra time on detail that won't be shown. Painters don't generally paint fully-drawn boobs then cover them up.

We're not talking about assets that aren't included for "whatever reason." We're talking about ones that have no actual for the final product.

This would be roughly like then chiseling pants to cover up a statue's nipples and "the rest of the stuff" you've already carved.

Wrong. With the marble sculpture, if you want your sculpture to have clothes you have to sculpt it with the clothes on, like it were a single big object. But that's not the case with many next gen games like these.
A more accurate analogy would be if the sculptor made a sculpture of the person...and then made the shirt, watch, pants, necklace, hair, and everything else as separate individual sculptures.

With games like these, they often have one person modeling only the naked body and nothing else. Then they have someone else modeling only the shirts, the pants, the hair etc. separately. And then they combine them all later into what we actually see in the game. But each object still has to be made individually.

The sculptor is generally his own boss but as the game artist, you don't know what the director is going to want to show or not show, it's not up to you. Maybe the director wants the character in a sweater the whole game, or maybe the director wants a scene with transparent lingerie. Maybe it's a last minute change. So to be on the safe side, it's not at all unusual to just include everything, even if you don't think it will be shown. Just in case.

Again, millions of dollars are on the line. And like I said in my post, even if it won't be shown in this particular project, that doesn't mean a later project won't show it. Future proof.

Lee Quitt

Mar 12, 2011
CJ1145 said:
I love everything to do with David Cage's games. They're always such clusterfucks of bad storytelling, poor design, and uninspired pseudo-occult bullshit. You're never bored with them! They're just too awful to be bored with. This is just the cherry on top of his latest Shit Sundae.

Honestly though, I'm not surprised by this. Seriously, not at all. Has everyone forgotten Cage's last nightmare of an "experience", Heavy Rain, where we're introduced to our female protagonist by ogling her in the shower for a disturbingly long time, and then we get to watch her get assaulted by a bunch of masked men and... frankly, possibly raped?

It's a dream sequence but that doesn't make the whole thing entirely disturbing, and NOT for the reasons the designers wanted it to be.
Given most consider Heavy Rain to be a fantastic game at least and even a masterpiece, perhaps you could moderate your insulting and condescending tone? WTF have you done recently? Watched a few Jim Sterling videos and had your mind made for you most probably. When was the last time you pushed the boundary's of an emerging art? Fucking never. Till then, how bout a bit of respect?