Emotionally draining games

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Lost Odyssey did a pretty good job of tugging my heartstrings, to name one that has yet to be mentioned.

Also, there's a flash indie game call Today I Die that you can finish in about 5 minutes. Go play it. NAO.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
League of Legends. Anyone who played this game for a couple of months becomes a jaded person afterwards.

AldirTK

Mar 17, 2010
The ones about Assassin's Creed that others have said and Pokemon Red (I guess it happened in the remakes also but never played them) when you find out Team Rocket killed all those pokemon in Lavender Town.

Also in Assassin's Creed...

When you finally kill Cesare, the guy is just too awesome for me to want him to die. Apart from that, obviously the end.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
I got far too involved in Dragon Age: Origins for my own good. Not intentionally, it just... happened. One minute I'm happily bashing darkspawn round the head, the next I'm wailing at the TV because I'm forced to choose between killing myself, killing my LI, or handing my LI to Morrigan on a plate.

Final Fantasy VII also got me hook, line and sinker, though this was back in 1997, I was a teenager, and didn't have any clue about what was going to happen at the end of Disc 1. The upshot being I bawled my eyes out for a good 10 minutes.

Lastly, and probably most weirdly, was Cannon Fodder on the old Amiga. I got incredibly attached to my little guys (Jools, Stoo, how I miss you) and was devasted when one of them died on a mission having levelled them up. I felt slightly better when I discovered that I wasn't the only one this happened to...

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
direw0lf said:
I know its cliche but being a father of a small child Heavy Rain had some very difficult parts for me to play through. the self torment parts were ok, but the scene at the beginning when you lose your son in the mall was really uncomfortable for me
Same. I've got a small daughter. Really changes your entire outlook on the world.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
I felt pretty sad after I completely finished Fallout 3 DLC and all over 400hours all achievements all good weapons and my buddy?s Fawkes and dogmeat I took my character home put on his armored 101 vault suit sat him down a chair and turned off the game I felt really down after investing so much time.

Also the Good ending of Dead Money I was like wow that was really good (But that might be because I really like that sort of thing)

Aug 25, 2009
Most games with a good or at least involving story tend to draw me in.

Mass Effect, especially ME2 when I played it the first time round and Jack and Thane died, it hit me really hard. And the punch to the gut in ME1 when you have to leave someone behind.

I also get choked up at Halo, because I'm one of the few people who liked the story. Avery Johnson's death in 3, Kat's death in Reach, that story had some powerful moments if you let it draw you in.

And when I was younger playing FFIX was a lot like this. From pretty much Burmecia onwards you are always too late and destruction has always been rained down upon the cities you were visiting. You are constantly on the run and always losing until you finally in Disk 4 get a chance to strike back, which is about as glorious as any moment in any Final Fantasy game ever IMO, and then right when you think you've managed to win, it looks like Zidane is dead.

Fuck you Final Fantasy, I was 11 Goddammit!

Inchronica

Feb 3, 2011
Fallout 3: There was a time where I was just patrolling the Wasteland looking for offbeat quests to do. I picked up a radio signal on my Pipboy, I opened it up and played the message (It played on loop) And the guy on it said, "If anyone can hear this, this is Bob Anderstein . My family and I have taken refuge in a drainage chamber not too far from a radio relay tower outside of D.C. My boy is very sick, needs medical assistance. Please help if you can. We're listening for your response." I looked around for at least twenty minutes trying to find this pipe that they we're in. I finally found it and I went inside, I hurried to the far chamber to find that ... they we're all dead. What got me was that the little boy wasn't in there, And I don't know about anyone else but my imagination always runs when I see skeletons in the wasteland "How'd he die?!" "Wonder what happened to him!" And when I didn't see the little boy, It really got me emotional.

Red Dead Redemption: *SPOILERS! SPOILERS!* At the end of that game, I was crying. I felt like I had truly lost a good friend. *SPOILERS! SPOILERS!*

Final Fantasy 9: Vivi's story. Among other things.

Zelda Majora's Mask: I felt super bad for Skull Kid.

Metal Gear Solid 4: *SPOILERS! SPOILERS!* When you're crawling through that hall and you're on the verge of death, Freaking had me on the edge of my seat with swelled eyes. *SPOILERS! SPOILERS!*

Diablo27

Jul 18, 2010
Mass Effect 2, first time finishing and I lost Legion to an explosion. Garrus to a headshot. Thane to a shot to the gut and Mordin...I don't know.

Gears of War 2, after the part with Tai I stopped playing for a very long time because it almost made me throw up, it was sickening. I looked up the other sad parts and then watched the part with Dom and Maria on YouTube...I cried man...I cried.

Fallout 3, stepping into the outside world for the first time and seeing just how barren and empty. Unfortunately I can't get that feeling from Fallout 3 again and probably never will :(

Medal of Honour, after surviving the massive ambush after many attempts and seeing the soldiers get saved after so much loss of hope and being so sure it would end with them dying as part of the story made me so happy and full of hope.

Dragon Age: Origins, at the end when I had to either sacrifice myself or my companion Alistair. I sat there for a good ten minutes wondering what to do and finally sacrificed myself, then at the end I find out that my dwarf, a casteless, shunned stain on society became a Paragon. The song by 30 Seconds to Mars at the end really sealed it.

Dragon Age II: After Anders blew up the Chantry and everything went tits-up I had the option of telling him to leave, letting him come with me or just killing him. I had been through so much with this man and he did something so vile I almost selected the option to kill him but eventually let him live. Also the part where Isabela steals the Qunari thing and runs off, I trusted her, romanced her and she does this? If she had come back, I would have killed her.

Fable III: The choices after you become King. 'Nuff said.

Prototype: The ending, every time he closed his eyes he'd hear the screams of over a thousand people.

Metro 2033: Running out of oxygen on the surface an hearing Anton gasp for air but ultimately fail.

Devil May Cry: Defeating the boss monsters for a final time and hearing them scream for mercy as their master kills them without remorse. Also, finding out that one of them was your brother.

Devil May Cry 3: Fighting your brother for the last time as he falls into the abyss, I cried :'( SHUT UP I WAS YOUNG!

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
PureIrony said:
Lost Odyssey did a pretty good job of tugging my heartstrings, to name one that has yet to be mentioned.
THANK YOU, why has no one mentioned Lost Odyssey yet? From the part on the first disc with Cooke and Mack to the ending with Seth, then of course silly Jansen's ending was also heartwarming in a happy sort of way.

That game doesn't get nearly as much attention as it deserved, everyone herps around FFXIII when they mention JRPGs but Lost Odyssey, a game actually MADE by FF's maker (protip, he stopped making FF games after X, that's why since then they've been bad) gets no attention whatsoever because it's not got Square-Enix label slapped across it.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
A combination of Shadow of the Colossus and Braid. I think Braid really changed the way that I look at games in general.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Fragile Dreams: Farewell to the Ruins of the Moon.

Just the sheer fact that you're so damn /alone/ in the game keeps getting to me. I can only play it for tiny bits at a time because of how badly that actually effects me, mentally.

No other game managed to do that to me. RE4 made me jump a couple times. SH2 made me a tiny bit paranoid for a bit. But Fragile Dreams? Really gets me.

Edit: Forgot about one more. FFIX's You Are Not Alone! Scene. Less draining, more boosting, but it still gets me where it matters. Just that song is enough to keep me from giving up sometimes.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
II2 said:
Yes, YES!!! I GOT THE MINDFLAYER!!!!

Take this quiz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/quizzes/result/147.146-Mindflayer]
Uh, wrong thread?

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
I'm just gonna say the last quarter of MGS4, STALKER: SoC, and Starcraft 2 multiplayer.
SoC because once you get into it, you REALLY get into it. Fuck the story's emotional content, I was holding my breath in nearly every encounter, planning my way out if the shit hit the fan, listening for anomalies, watching for those fucked up dogs and various other hazards...
Same kinda goes for SC2 multi - I got a goddamn nosebleed in a long game, it was that tense.

Last quarter, or, at least, from when Snake gets his face Sylvia Plath'd, of MGS4 is easily the most emotionally draining vidya experience I've had though. I mean.... so much shit happens that you're meant to care about, dragging you from one person to the other to connect to them, even for a brief time....and that corridor man....PLUS, fucking PLUS the ridiculously cinematic fistfight which basically forced you to look back on years of MGS history as these two nearly dead guys desperately duke it out, fuelled by hatred and their own inadequacies...and that's not even the end...we get all this triumphant climactic stuff, then they hit us with

Snake.....had a hard life
- giving us one of the very best bittersweet endings ever, before they goddamn pick us up again just to end it again.
I swear it almost killed me.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The end of HL2: Ep 2.

I actually really liked Ep 2. I thought Ep 1 was decent, and HL2 was a step in the right direction, but I didn't have the right mind to play it.

Just incase you don't want anything spoiled, disregaurd this comment:

In the final scene, you, Alyx, and Eli are being attacked by a tentacle gaurd-robot-condom-thing. Suddenly, it grabs Eli, crushes him, and then D0G charged in and destroys it. Alyx rushes over to Eli, but, alas, he is no more.

This really brought a tear to my eye-- ok, not a tear. Enough fucking tears to fill in an entire lake.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
illas said:
OT: Homefront. Not because of the story, it was retarded, I didnt like the characters either.

it was the difficulty.

one mission I died no less that thirty times, all because of impossible angle shots from the AI.

about three days later I found out there was more than one difficulty setting, and I had played through on medium. Fuck going through that hell again on Guerrilla.
I didn't notice the difficulty change option until after I'd completed it on Hard...Still only took 5 hours, but fuck me...never again.