Engineers Launch Cloud-Based Collective "Brain" for Robots

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
See all those games where you get to resolve conflicts with AI? I hope you guys have been nice and sympathetic to them.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Man between this and that veti-gel stuff, I can't wait for a manned mission to Mars. Keep your fingers crossed for an advanced alien data cache!

Adam Jensen said:
Destroying them gains us nothing. Why kill when you can control? Imagine how strong humanity would be!
If only they could see it like we do. It's so... perfect.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Well I personally would just like to proclaim my undying loyalty to our new robot overlords, and kindly request that my family and I are not included in the human purges.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Beryl77 said:
This is so awesome, future is knocking on the door.
To those acting so scared, this is much better. With this, we know exactly where to pull the plug if they ever revolt and it's just one place. The way it is now, we'd have to kill each single robot but if they all use one brain, we only have to shut down that one.
SSSSSSHHHHHHH.

They'll hear you.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Darks63 said:
What is it with Europe and these possibly world destroying/ending devices they are building? First the Hadron Super Collider and now a Gsalt mind for robots.
Don't forget our automatic plant-defense-lasers.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I would be very interested to see what the first robot mind would be like. Yeah there are people who have watched too much Terminator and by default think any artificial intelligence automatically means it will wipe out humans first chance it gets (hint; in Terminator and Mass Effect; the Machines only become violent after the organics try to kill them. Double hint; Don't try to kill them).

Cody Holden

May 4, 2011
Desert Punk said:
Well they could make it simple
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAOHMYGOD.

Seriously, what about any modern technology lends you this kind of insane optimism?

#UsedSeriouslySarcastically

OT: This is awesome, and will get even more awesome as implant technology gets more advanced and humans can access it as well. I would love to be able to visit a new country and just download the language so I can understand what is being said to me!
Or we could make it accessible without invasive surgery. Y'know, with those tiny computers we carry everywhere and use to communicate with one another as well as the vast array of interconnected networks that store nearly the sum of all human knowledge as it is..?

The singularity happened in the 90's, folks. We just didn't notice.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Sounds cool, but very easy to ruin in only a few moments. If a hacker can access it in any way and tell the car robots the best way to drive is through orphanages, shit's going down. I mostly don't get how it works right now, but at least the name is nice.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
And the first video game to access this technology for their AI...

If another human has used your tactic before you have, the AI will know. Some insane adaptability.

Lhianon

Aug 28, 2011
i don't get how people can act like this is a bad development, even if this system becomes sentient.
think about it this way, we are not sure there is a higher being that created us but we are still able to recognize the value of the natural world around us (which made us as a species possible in the first place) for our survival. now think about this hypothetical A.I., it would always act perfectly rational and have acces to an impressive amount of data on the fly without the emotional baggage a human would bring to the table. it probably would run some quick calculations and come to the conclusion that our drive to make things better and to advance our technologies in adition to our ability to think out-of-the-box would make us an invaluable asset. also, it would probably recognize the immense computation power within a human brain. it would also recognize the value of a lifeform that made its own existence possible.
at "worst", it would try to help us overcome the limitations of our frail biological existence and mortality, but since it would still need our cababilities to think new, groundbreaking thoughts (which kind of needs the individual as a prerequisit) and the computational power of biological brains there would be little danger that this would lead to some kind of borg-like future.
quite frankly, there is not much i would miss about human existence apart from the possibilty to get high from weed, but that is just me and i can understand why some people would rather live a short live filled with the joys of a physical existence than an possible eternal existence as a brain-in-a-jar which uses drones as proxies to interact with the physical world.

and to the people that throw the mass effect references around, remember that the best possible ending of the geth-storyline was them and the quarians working together with the rest of the galaxy to defeat the reapers.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I love how peopel get freaked out by this and i am very happy we manage to make robots smarter than humans.