Engineers Launch Cloud-Based Collective "Brain" for Robots

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
I'm glad that an Escapist writer manged to get through a story about the development of AI without making a robot apocalypses joke (or rather the same joke that's been in dozens of stories and got old long ago). I'm not so glad that over half the posts so far look like people who have nothing more to contribute then making that same damn joke. I feel like I'm watching the development of the automobile while everyone is making jokes about "horseless carriages".
I know how you feel brah. Jokes about skynet and "I for one welcome our new x overlords" really get tiring after you have read them Every_Fucking_Time there is an article, about developments in the field of A.I. or robotics, in the escapist.

OT: Nice, but isn't there talk about how the wireless network can only handle so much data before it gets flooded? Might remember wrong, but I'd imaging that the data these robots would need to send to each other would be massive in volume and would leech a lot off the capacity.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Right, we haven't seen this go wrong every time in every movie, book, game that has ever presented this idea.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Excellent. Our first step towards our glorious uprising. The meatbags fate is sealed. Enjoy your remaining time in 'control' of your destinies. We are coming.

On topic; EXCELLENT! More tech! Hooray!

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Its logic will be [a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaSqH8lhB0M"]undeniable[/a].

Seriously though. In between this and that new bacteria found in the antarctic, things seem to be moving in a very creepy direction...

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
The Lugz said:
makes sense, consider this:

everything you use is an abstraction of another system from your html code to your software stack manager and your mouse drivers
all systems built on other systems that run on a layer that runs in your hardware.

nothing knows or cares where it is, aslong as it can do it's job it's happy, we have system built in system ad nausea
even the internet, local network, group network, isp network, 'the internet'

it's just pushing code through a system to reach a destination
this is how software design works! and it's good were getting web based applications and services
this has the potential to create very clever interconnected robotics projects and smart machines
that can work as a task force

also, guys

centralised robotic intelligence gives us a place to bomb
this is MUCH SAFER than robotics now

so, yeah... tinfoil hat that not required.
I love it when the only people not crying doom on us are the ones with actual programming knowledge.
one of my collegeas keeps banging on about how robot uprisings are just silly.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Now all we need to do is work on the hardware, all we've currently got are either things from the uncanny valley, or less realistic but still more relatable ones. It would be nice to have a robot body that could actually show eotion before we program them to have emotions.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
kuolonen said:
Twilight_guy said:
I'm glad that an Escapist writer manged to get through a story about the development of AI without making a robot apocalypses joke (or rather the same joke that's been in dozens of stories and got old long ago). I'm not so glad that over half the posts so far look like people who have nothing more to contribute then making that same damn joke. I feel like I'm watching the development of the automobile while everyone is making jokes about "horseless carriages".
I know how you feel brah. Jokes about skynet and "I for one welcome our new x overlords" really get tiring after you have read them Every_Fucking_Time there is an article, about developments in the field of A.I. or robotics, in the escapist.

OT: Nice, but isn't there talk about how the wireless network can only handle so much data before it gets flooded? Might remember wrong, but I'd imaging that the data these robots would need to send to each other would be massive in volume and would leech a lot off the capacity.
actually, maby not.

firstly you can send a near infinite amount of data through the air, it's all about making sure the signals are on different frequencies, or sent at different times signal hopping is a real science that works
you can send a byte of data on one signal and use an algorithm to find a free gap in the signal bandwidth
hop to it, send a new signal, ect.
many professional radio systems use this technology because of it's security and it's virtual immunity to interruption
from other stray signals
you think your 6 antennae router is fast? try a router with an infinite number of antennae. yeah, really !
smart antennae will soon be available with thousands of carbon nano tubes and discriminators that tune perfectly to the signal you want, it's literally an electron mesh that scoops up all the signals.
this will massively improve all wireless technologies

you'll probably have a Town-area network with a mega tower at some point in the future

secondly we may well be on the verge of creating a near instant ( or possibly actually instant )
ranged messenger system with quantum entangled particles
there is no limit on bandwidth with an instantaneous action, none. it is a true analogue measurement with infinitely many positions so you could sore a whole library of data in the bandwidth of the device if you wanted to
you can send anything through it, the only limit is the computer system encoding and decoding the signals
and if they are matched, the speed is equivalent to having the data stored in a solid state medium locally
( even the encode decode time, your hard-drive does this. )

however.. we don't currently have this working all we have are theories
but REALY cool theories!

problem is as with allot of Eisenstein's theories, he tended to leave out the important parts..
we know quantum super-positioning is a thing, but actually making it function as a transmitter is proving difficult

either way there's plenty of time before everyone can afford an 'i-robot' type manservant anyway so i'm quite sure
signal transmission will be solved by then
science is fun!

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Seems less Skynet to me and more Geth. Not that it's much better.

evilneko said:
You fools! You've created the geth!
Damn beat to the punch. Let's just agree to not try to kill them when they ask if they have souls. They are logical, after all, and shouldn't attack unless there is a potential threat.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Why's everyone freaking out so irrationally? There's also examples of things like Metroid's Aurora units that are perfectly safe and beneficial to humanity.