Enslaved Sequel Isn't Happening

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Too bad the ending to Enslaved wasn't what I wanted out of the game at all. God, that seemed like a dick slap to the face to me. The game otherwise, was beautiful, in just about about all aspects.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Seriously? Enslaved wasn't even the sort of game that needed a sequel. The story finished, the problems were all solved, where can you possibly go from there?

It was a great game, with incredibly compelling characters and a wonderful setting. But sometimes you have to know when to stop.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
The nature of the best eh.

Maybe they'll end up selling the license to someone else and we'll get something 12 years from now. It's happened before after all.

I did enjoy Enslaved, I didn't play it but i watched my brother play it from start too finish and I felt like the story was good and interesting but i never did play it so I couldn't say how the gameplay felt. Looked pretty average which on reflection is probably why i never played it because I had already enjoyed the best aspects of the game.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
manythings said:
It's kind of rich saying the game "Should have done better" when they were the makers, if it really was that good it should've gotten around by now.
This seems a little naive, no offence. Who says the best games are the ones that sell best?

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
Karutomaru said:
That is such bullshit. Was the game critically well-recieved? Yes? Is there room for a good series? Yes? Would a sequel make people happy? Yes? MAKE A FUCKING SEQUEL!
Gaming is NOT about the money!
I think for developers nowadays gaming IS about the money, sadly. The publishers and retailers are rolling in it, but the developers themselves, apart from your Valves and Bethesdas, have to be very business-minded just to stay in business. Making games is expensive. Really, the onus is on us consumers to buy interesting, novel games like Enslaved (I think it's a wonderfully imaginative game despite its numerous flaws) and NOT keep buying the familiar, lazy CoD and God of War knock-offs.

Just my opinion.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
Seriously? Enslaved wasn't even the sort of game that needed a sequel. The story finished, the problems were all solved, where can you possibly go from there?

It was a great game, with incredibly compelling characters and a wonderful setting. But sometimes you have to know when to stop.
I think it was a good foundation. I agree there wouldn't be much point to a straight sequel with the same characters and a continuation of the same story; as you say, the story's finished. But it was such a cool setting and the gameplay had so much potential (most of it unrealised sadly) that I would have been happy to see a sequel to it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Well good. A good game with a finished ending shouldn't have a sequel forced upon it. It was a good game, it doesn't need a mediocre sequel.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Hides His Eyes said:
manythings said:
It's kind of rich saying the game "Should have done better" when they were the makers, if it really was that good it should've gotten around by now.
This seems a little naive, no offence. Who says the best games are the ones that sell best?
Anyone would think there being a whole internet some people might have pointed out how awesome it is, turns out they haven't convinced anyone. Beyond Good and Evil? Amazing game, nothing about Enslaved says it is a patch on Beyond Good and Evil.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Sigh.
Now I'm just waiting for the sequel to Mirror's edge being called off.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Trishbot said:
"Enslaved" was one of my favorite games of its year. It was beautiful, lush, original, character-driven, imaginative, charming, dramatic, well-paced, and incredibly fun (especially on the Cloud).

The quality of the game had nothing to do with its lackluster sales. It was just a bad, bad season for a new IP to debut, had bad marketing, and just wasn't able to generate enough interest outside of the over-saturated shooter market.

It was a brilliant game. It still is. If you haven't played it, track the game down and give it a shot. No, it's far from perfect, but you can't get an experience like it an practically any other game. That's what the industry needs, that's what gamers demand, and it's insanely sad that gamers didn't put their money where their mouths were and support the very content they demand while continuing to buy the same schlocky generic brown shooters they complain about every few months.
Pretty much this. I felt genuinely sad when I traded my copy in towards a PS3. It was a great game, with a wonderfully done story. I loved the cast, except Piggy, who annoyed me. Still, this game was a wonderful experience, and one I'll always recommend to people, even years on down the road.

Dec 27, 2010
After failing to meet expectations at retail, the Enslaved series is finished before it could even start.
....Enslaved: Odyssey to the West sold so poorly that a sequel is out of the question.
Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades believes "Enslaved should have done better. Right now we should have been doing a sequel and perfecting that sequel and doing what franchises do, which is get better over time."
This the attitude that I genuinely feel maybe the one downfall of this industry; that anything successful needs to be a series. This happens in no other medium; no ones eagerly awaiting the sequel to Se7en, no one want's Fight Club (the book or the film) to turn into a glob trotting adventure series, yet if anything even does remotely well in this medium we all just wait for the inevitable sequel trailer leak.

Edit: Sorry, please note the "or" highlighted there. In the original post I misspelled it as "of" which made me sound like some weirdo who reads books based on films.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
I think I should have enjoyed Enslaved but, I dunno, it just kind of bored me. Although I really wish I'd bought it rather than the crap pile that was Castlevania Lord Of Shadows.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Karutomaru said:
That is such bullshit. Was the game critically well-recieved? Yes? Is there room for a good series? Yes? Would a sequel make people happy? Yes? MAKE A FUCKING SEQUEL!
Gaming is NOT about the money!
How is it NOT about the money? I'm sorry, but I can't help but find the idea that gaming isn't about the money laughable. 95% (at least) of gaming as we know it wouldn't even exist today if gaming wasn't about the money. And that's because it's an industry, which is all about making product that people want to buy in order to turn a profit.

No profit, no products, no industry.

Which could be why so much of the industry is in trouble today, because they've convinced themselves that it's not about the money, and are trying to tell narratives in game form when they should really be writing books or scripts or doing something other than trying to tell stories and then trying to force game mechanics into them with questionable success.