Epic Considers Banning Those Who Spoiled Gears 3

SamBargeron

Jun 23, 2011
Jinx_Dragon said:
The largest problem with all anti-piracy moves is the pirates download the versions without the protections and don't by the real thing... ever.
That's not true. Especially in the case on people who are pirating an early build. Many people in this case are not pirating because they won't buy the game, but pirating because they CAN'T WAIT to buy the game. Now, those people will probably read the news about how they might be banned, not buy the game, and pirate again to avoid DRM. Epic just lost sales. Good job.

To continue my main point (sorry for short side tangent), many pirates DO purchase the same products that they pirate.

Game doesn't have a demo available, but you can't afford to throw $60 at a title that might suck. Consumer decides to pirate the game. If it sucks, they delete the files. If it is awesome, they go out and buy the game.

A friend tells the consumer that he HAS to buy a specific movie. The consumer has no interest in the movie, but respects the friend enough to give it a try. He decides to pirate the film. If it sucks, he deletes the files. If he likes it, he buys the DVD.

A young girl wants to listen to a foreign artist who was on a movie soundtrack. The artist's music isn't available for purchase in the United States and her parents won't let her buy anything online. She pirates the artist's music. Once she turns 18 and gets a credit card in her own name, she celebrates by finally purchasing those foreign CDs.

I'm not suggesting that pirating is ok. Pirating is illegal and bad and no one should ever ever do it ever. I do not endorse pirating.

What I am saying is that some of those downloads turn into sales. Just because someone illegally downloads something does not mean they will not turn around and purchase the item. Especially if the downloaded version was a lower quality or unfinished version, as in this case.

I'm losing focus so I'll try to finish up with one last thing... I was confronted with a statistic once, when I was working a loss prevention job (loss prevention is anti-theft for those of you who don't know)... I can't speak to the source or accuracy of the statistic, but I trust it.

10% of people will always steal no matter the circumstances
10% of people will never ever even consider stealing
20% of people will think about stealing, but never ever act on it

The officer presenting this information insisted that loss prevention employees shouldn't be concerned with these people. You can't do anything with these people. You can't change their behavior. Don't try.

60% of people will steal if they are given the opportunity...

These are the people you should worry about. These are the people that you can influence. That may seem like a depressing statistic. More than half of the people you meet will steal from you if they can. Here's where things get interesting though.

Out of that group of people who will steal if given the opportunity: 90% of them will not steal if they are acknowledged in a friendly and inviting way.

By simply smiling and saying "hi" you can turn 90% of potential shoplifters (those who fell into the "opportunity" group) into paying customers.

Similarly, if someone pirates online... and they discover that they like what they stole... they may decide to pay for it. I know for a fact that it happens. And I'm confident that if companies reconsider their approach, they can minimize loss and generate sales by turning pirates to paying customers. No DRM required.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I could be wrong here, but I thought to play pirated games on the 360, you need a hacked Xbox. Hacked Xboxs can't even play online or they get the console banned. How is Epic even going to catch anyone after assuming the pirate is going to buy the game. I though all Epic games were no longer being made for the PC because the piracy rate (or what they consider as "permanently lost sales") was too high.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Aeshi said:
RikuoAmero said:
Kheapathic said:
Now this is just awesome. I'm hoping there will be at least one clueless twit like there was for the Batman Arkham Asylum leak. I hope there's a lot of hate and "I pre-ordered but I can't play WTF," I hope they try to take Epic to court and I hope Epic mops the floor with them.
This is different to the Batman situation. Then, gamers were using a "pirated" version of the game that was rigged to not work if it detects that it's not a genuine version.
In this case, the guys who put up the videos are now being banned from playing a completely legit version of the game they (more than likely) will buy. If they use an unauthorized version, fine, kick them off Xbox Live. But to kick them off because they put up a video...even if they're running a legit copy...
If they're the sort of person who uses a leaked version they probably AREN'T going to buy it legit when it officially comes out.
Actually they still are. I myself have used several leaked games, and I went ahead and bought them all legit anyways.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
SilentHunter7 said:
Rednog said:
If you sell a product and the person goes home and finds out that it isn't the product that was promised that person is entitled to their money back and or suing you for fraud.
So then what's stopping them from giving them their money back?
My personal experience with games has been one of if a game is opened most retailers won't take the item back. From my experience most retailers will simply offer you a new copy of the game, if you claim something is wrong with the game. This would not solve the problem Epic is presenting. And in some rare cases/you get a nice person you might get store credit back. But you're never going to see a full cash refund from retailers.

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
The way he states it, it's as if they are saying they are going to screw the amateurs that forgot to/didn't know how to cover their tracks, while readily acknowledging that the hardened hackers that routinely leak beta videos and cause other havoc will get off scott free.

I don't really think this is something the gaming community should condone. Setting out to get revenge makes you look like you've got something to hide and provides a convenient excuse not to reform the system you use to decide who gets a beta - which is really the underlying problem.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
so.... do they really think those who downloaded the leek wouldn't think twice before downloading the game?

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Jinx_Dragon said:
Kheapathic said:
Now this is just awesome. I'm hoping there will be at least one clueless twit like there was for the Batman Arkham Asylum leak. I hope there's a lot of hate and "I pre-ordered but I can't play WTF," I hope they try to take Epic to court and I hope Epic mops the floor with them.
Epic would lose.

Regardless of past acts against the plaintiffs, Epic can not legally sell a product with the full and premeditative knowledge the product would not work. This would fall under consumer fraud laws, a criminal action that can be punished by jail time, and not just a civil one like piracy. So yeah, fight a misdemeanor by committing a criminal act seems like a very smart move by Epic.
You are indeed correct. Though they could likely get around it if they made a reasonable effort to contact the offenders with a "haha guess what?" about a week before release.

IMO they sound like a bunch of butt hurt "taking my ball and going home" whiners.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
CarFan1211 said:
i find the entire gears of war franchise frustrating and unimaginative. corridor, cutscene, corridor, cutscene. epic should do the world a favor and ban everyone.
Yep, they should do you a favor and ban everyone who enjoys the game. Yep, thats logical.

OT: I hope they have a system in place to protect people who didn't cheat from getting banned, otherwise I'm all for this. If this is effective, it could send a message that releasing content through this manner will have consequences and repucussions.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Rednog said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Rednog said:
If you sell a product and the person goes home and finds out that it isn't the product that was promised that person is entitled to their money back and or suing you for fraud.
So then what's stopping them from giving them their money back?
My personal experience with games has been one of if a game is opened most retailers won't take the item back. From my experience most retailers will simply offer you a new copy of the game, if you claim something is wrong with the game. This would not solve the problem Epic is presenting. And in some rare cases/you get a nice person you might get store credit back. But you're never going to see a full cash refund from retailers.
Well the buck stops with the retailers, then.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Way to go, Epic. I completely agree with you doing this, and also think those that are guilty of this deserve what they get.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
insanelich said:
Zhukov said:
Huh.

Bit of a slippery slope you're looking at there, gents.
A bit of a slippery slope? This is like jumping down a cliff. This is the Ubisoft DRM approach.

Yeah, good luck actually doing a decent job identifying the culprits and not getting false positives. I suppose I'll be adding Epic to the "automatically skip" list. First developer to get there.
Ea has been on that list for me for years. Sadly, that now also includes the Bioware games, but a principle is not worth anything if it isn't stood up for. As for the Gears of War games, I've never cared one way or another for them. To me, they're even more mindlessly violent than the Halo games. Now, I'm definitely not going to support them.

As has already been stated a few times, there's no way this would stand in court. The retailer would refuse to give a refund, then would either lose money through lawsuits or bad PR, and then turn around and sue Epic. At least with Ubisoft's DRM, you know you're getting into bed with the devil when you bought it.

senobit

Jan 6, 2011
meh sounds like 4 year having a little temper tantrum, still not that bothered Epic's been on my skip list ever since the steamiing pile of shite that was Gears of war PC

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Rednog said:
Hell if you're ok with Epic breaking the law, then by that logic you should be ok with people breaking the law and having those early copies. You can't pick and choose which laws to follow.
Actually, while I agree with you on the actual terms of the law and the fact that Epic will have trouble upholding this I disagree with your final statement.

You are talking about legal logic. The other people are talking about moral logic. While Epic may have issues with winning in court, I do applaud their attitude of fighting back. Personally, I hope they win.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Mike Kayatta said:
stupidity
So their master plan to fight mildly annoy select groups of pirates is to... punish the ones that decide to buy the game to support them when it comes out officially?