Epic Mickey Maker Slams Wolfenstein Reboot

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
the difficulty of getting new stuff green lit - new IP, new game styles and so on.
...says the man most recently known for making a platformer with Mickey fucking Mouse.

People in glass houses, Warren...

Edit: but really this is just yet another case of someone using social media to speak without thinking. Oh well.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
I agree with the larger point he's trying to make about the state of the industry, but he shouldn't have lashed out on a teaser. I don't play many shooters. Almost no shooters at all. But I like Wolfenstein. So when I see a new Wolfenstein I get somewhat excited. As long as they don't make it like CoD, of course. He should have reserved his hate for new CoD instead.
But no body would have paid attention to him if he complained about CoD. He would have lost in a sea complaints that have been repeated since 2008 or whenever Modern Warfare 2 came out

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't care for CoD, but I'll check out a new Wolfenstein game. We don't know anything about the game yet, it's completely idiotic that he is attacking it. I even enjoyed the last one, it was way different from previous Wolfenstein games. Maybe this one won't be just another CoD wannabe FPS. It may be, but I'll wait as Bethesda has not disappointed me in the past.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
While I can certainly empathize with Mr. Spector there comes a point where if you're unhappy with the content being produced from a mainstream medium, take the extra time to look at what's being made on the independent side. It's what I did in 2004 with music and since then I've grown to love genres I had previously despised (country and hip hop) and my knowledge has grown exponentially. The same thing happened in 2011 when I started taking a look at more indie games and since then I've found myself attracted to game genres I previously found I didn't like (such as rougelikes, FTL/ Binding of Isaac, etc). I still occasionally pay attention to the mainstream AAA market, but besides BioShock: Infinite and Watch_Dogs the games of 2013 I'm looking forward to are all indie ones. Now that I have a plethora of little cheap colorful games to keep me entertained, I find it far easier to let bygones be bygones and let the dudebros enjoy buying the same games every year. PC gaming is experiencing a wonderful renaissance and I will ride this wave 'till the end, and I suggest Warren Spector grab a board and do the same.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Of all things to criticize, why Wolfenstein? It's one of the few franchises with a distinctive personality anymore.

P.S. Thanks

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
This guy is creative but not a genius at it. But he is right about the same old stuff getting put out. Yesterday, my friends and I got all excited, hoping for a new sci-fi rpg game. Then they announced it's Wolfenstien, and we all rolled our eyes and are no longer interested.

Now apparently rumor has it EA is working with DICE to make another Star Wars game, how much you want to bet that's also a FPS?

It feels like most of the gaming industry is slamming itself into a creative brick wall, trying to fit through tiny little hole of major brand name like COD, multiplayer, M rated, and FPS. If they would actually think and be creative, they could just walk around or climb over the damn wall instead of killing themselves over trying to get into that tiny hole.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
1. Shooting Nazis, preferably in the back, is always good.

2. Game's industry must provide new IPs. We could have the most psycheldelic, fantastic looking gamess with no holds barred visually (see Bioshock, Zeno Clash), and what do we get? Unimaginative brown 'real world copy' shooters and, going by the sales numbers, for an equally unimaginative, numb audience.

3. If the new Wolfenstein will be anything in the vain of IRON SKY, we need MORE of it!

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Ackshully boss, I don't think Wolfenstein has been rebooted. I mean, yeah, the first one ended with Hitler being killed, but the expansion happened before that, so if we assume that RTCW happens before the end of Wolf3D, and Wolfenstein is a direct continuation of that, then this new one is technically just another sequel (no word if Hitler's still dead or not, so, pure speculation)

Frankly, my big issue with this announcement is it's a bit too close to Astrostein [http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/astrostein_2.html] for my liking . Admittedly, I doubt it'll be so goofy, but that's not necessarily a good thing, after all, if you're starting out with a far-fetched idea, why not just go all out?

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Yeah, nah, nice try, but I want a good FPS that isn't a bastard mix of realism and arcade, coated in military fetishism. I'll take a silly, hopefully fun FPS any day.

And I liked WW2 as a setting, damn it.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I agree with Spector, i'm so sick and tired of the same boring dark tone we see so often in games like this and i hate the gravelly voiced trailer guys, i have enough of games with dark and brooding atmoapheres!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Obligatory "U Mad, Bro":

In all seriousness though, I can see why he would be upset. But I think there is a bit of hyperbole with his statement.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
I'm damn happy we are getting a non-modern FPS. Hopefully, it will be closer to RTCW than to Wolfenstein.

On other news, Warren Spector can calm down a bit. Just because you developed some of the best games ever, doesn't mean you know better than others what gamers want. Even more when those games you made were released a decade ago.

We get excited because Wolfenstein is a legendary franchise, and we gonna get a non-modern FPS. Finally we might get sometrhing different from CoD.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, that's a shame. Sour grapes perhaps that his Epic Mickey project didn't exactly change the world and that another outfit has ran with one of his key franchises and did a damn find job of it and is now (hopefully) about to do the same with another?

Either way, it's hard to care. In related news, I hear a Harry Potter is on it's way. About time too...

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
I kind of agree. We don't need any more Wolfenstein games

WE NEED PREY 2 DAMN IT!

[obligatory slam against Epic Mickey]

cdemares

Jan 5, 2012
Can you imagine failing to get a new IP/gamestyle greenlit, and then seeing that lame-as-hell Wolfenstein trailer get people excited? I'd be pissed too. What are we actually, seriously expecting from yet another Wolfenstein reboot? "Oh no! The nazis are using [weird thing] to win the war, so you have to use [weird thing] back at them. It's a clash of Mcguffins, but mostly shooting M1 rifles as usual."